Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #16
Faldred
DIS Veteran

I actually suggested this a few years ago, and I still think it's a good idea.

Apple wouldn't need to buy Disney outright, all they need is controlling interest (50% + 1 share), so the cost is roughly half of what is being bantered here. I'm not sure how much of the Apple cash reserve is accessible, though -- Apple has tons of foreign profits that they can't bring back to the US without punitive taxes (which they are lobbying to change, of course).

And while, long-term, it would be a boon to the parks to replace the current Disney bean counters with Apple-inspired execs, the move for Apple would be primarily for the media side of operations -- a major broadcast network (ABC), the most-watched cable network (ESPN), a slew of other cable channels, a radio network, music labels, publishing labels, movie and television production.distribution companies, etc. Apple certainly seems to be looking hard at not just being the medium for consuming content, but influencing/controlling the mechanism for how the content is provided -- having major media players in its portfolio would help.

Getting back to the parks, I like the Apple synergy. The company vision of focus on the end-user experience is far closer to the original Disney philosophy than the "how can we nickle and dime our customers to death" attitude that seems to permeate the current organization.

All that said, I don't think it's going to happen, but I wish that it would.

March 2009: Port Orleans Riverside ( Trip Report -- Dining Report ) -- May 2006: Vacation Village timeshare -- May 2002: Orange Lake timeshare
Faldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faldred View Post
Getting back to the parks, I like the Apple synergy. The company vision of focus on the end-user experience is far closer to the original Disney philosophy than the "how can we nickle and dime our customers to death" attitude that seems to permeate the current organization.
Would you be willing to pay extra for that end-user experience and there is no telling whether or not they can translate the experience they create for small consumer electronics into anything dealing with a theme park.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
I'm an Apple fan but not necessarily sure I agree with that. Yes they do place a high priority on the user experience, but they unquestionably make you pay for what you get.

There's a reason you can get a decent Windows laptop for $300 while an entry level Macbook will set you back $1000. Prices on phones, tablets, MP3 players...pretty much everything across the board is higher than the competition. I can't see Apple pushing a philosophy of improved guest benefits for equal ticket prices.

That said, after thinking about it I'm not even sure what sort of "nickel and diming" you are specifically referring to. A Disney parks visit isn't cheap, but you pretty much pay for the elements you wish to purchase: room, tickets, food, souvenirs.

There are some extra experiences which cost more--like the Animal Kingdom safari experience or fireworks dessert parties. But those items have such low capacity that there is no practical way they could be offered to 30,000 park guests each day.

Personally I wouldn't want to be forced to pay higher prices if it meant my park ticket came bundled with a set of Mickey ears and a "free" round of golf.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #19
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:

All that said, I don't think it's going to happen, but I wish that it would.
Apple is about charging top dollar, maybe for a superior user experience. Other posters gave you information regarding the pricing of Apple laptops vs available Windows.

Is the battery in the iPhone designed to be replaced by the consumer? Can the consumer add a microSD memory card? Are the new lighting cables intended to be an Apple only product?

I don't agree with your nickle and dimming comment. Apple is not different then Disney.

Out of all the different companies Apple could buy Disney makes the least sense. Expensive. Not a fit.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #20
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Apple prior to Steve Jobs death...maybe.

Apple now - I hope not. I don't think this would be better for Disney fans.

What I've always thought is Disney should approach Apple about fixing the Imagination Pavillion. Disney could make that ride a star attraction again (for the first time) and then there could be an "Apple labs" showcasing all of Apple's forthcoming products, a window into getting people to try their Apple TV.

Full disclosure: Personally not a big fan of Apple. Anyone else find the irony in the fact that a company that first rose to fame on the back of advertising toting it as "breaking away from Big Brother" has now essentially BECOME Big Brother?Once you get hooked on Apple products, you can't get away, they only work with eachother. And I've yet to see any evidence that their products are superior to less expensive products. Sure, sleeker and sexier, but superior?

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #21
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post

1. What I've always thought is Disney should approach Apple about fixing the Imagination Pavillion. Disney could make that ride a star attraction again (for the first time) and then there could be an "Apple labs" showcasing all of Apple's forthcoming products, a window into getting people to try their Apple TV.

2. Full disclosure: Personally not a big fan of Apple. Anyone else find the irony in the fact that a company that first rose to fame on the back of advertising toting it as "breaking away from Big Brother" has now essentially BECOME Big Brother?Once you get hooked on Apple products, you can't get away, they only work with eachother. And I've yet to see any evidence that their products are superior to less expensive products. Sure, sleeker and sexier, but superior?
1. The issue I always see is how fast things happen these days. When they say lets showcase the tech of tomorrow its that by the time the exhibit its designed and built its obsolete. And this is for tech 6 months old.

2. Yes, I have thought this way for years. Everything Apple is proprietary where IBM compatible (that's they were called back in the day) Intel based computers were open source and for that reason won.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz

I'm an Apple fan but not necessarily sure I agree with that. Yes they do place a high priority on the user experience, but they unquestionably make you pay for what you get.

There's a reason you can get a decent Windows laptop for $300 while an entry level Macbook will set you back $1000. Prices on phones, tablets, MP3 players...pretty much everything across the board is higher than the competition. I can't see Apple pushing a philosophy of improved guest benefits for equal ticket prices.
Not that this has anything to do with apple buying Disney but can't we look at it this way, if you buy a windows computer for 300 plus taxes, plus antivirus.. And then antivirus renewals for the computer yearly going forward... Eventually the apple computer will cost you roughly the same amount because the lack of maintenance an apple computer really needs. You don't need antivirus on it. That saves. I suppose there are pros and cons to each tho. I'm just saying I see where they can say they offer a better user experience as I find their MacBooks to be 1000 times faster than my hp was. And to be able to last significantly longer on battery power. My favorite perk is the elimination of antivirus
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24 View Post
Not that this has anything to do with apple buying Disney but can't we look at it this way, if you buy a windows computer for 300 plus taxes, plus antivirus.. And then antivirus renewals for the computer yearly going forward... Eventually the apple computer will cost you roughly the same amount because the lack of maintenance an apple computer really needs. You don't need antivirus on it. That saves. I suppose there are pros and cons to each tho. I'm just saying I see where they can say they offer a better user experience as I find their MacBooks to be 1000 times faster than my hp was. And to be able to last significantly longer on battery power. My favorite perk is the elimination of antivirus
This is not to be a "My computer can beat up your computer" reply buttttt...... you can always install AVG free or if you stick with a mac hope they don't gain any market share and become a bigger target for the scammers.

I'll be back on topic next post.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
jgh
Peter Pan!

No.

If only for the reason that everything Apple does is SO overpriced. Ticket? That'll be $500, sir.

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #25
chartle
DIS Veteran

This question is kind of akin to why doesn't Disney buy its own airline. They could apply their wonderful management style and make air travel a pleasant experience again.

Well the big issue is that Disney has created for its self a very favorable business climate for its self in Florida. If it branched out into the wild wild west of deregulated airlines they would find a different world. One where airfare has become as undifferentiated as gasoline and the only thing people care about is low prices.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #26
CaptainBarbossa
You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
I can see it now:

Orlando Sentinel reports Breaking News: "Disney buses, working on their first day for new Apple supplied managers, full of anxious to get to the parks guests found themselves getting off the bus at the Kirkman Rd. entrance to Universal Studios this morning". "They told us they would not let us in. There must be some glitch in our Magic Band iOS that made them unreadable there", responded one of the wayward guests.

Don't know what the problem was said one bus driver, we were just following Apple Maps on our new Company issued iPhones and we ended up here. Apple CEO Tim Cook had no comment for the Sentinel reporter, but a spokesman for Walt Disney World did confirm that a call has been made to Google to see about using their map and direction Applications in the future.

In other Park news, it has been reported that Prince Charming was none too happy this morning when he found out he would now have to wear a black turtleneck in the Florida summer heat and humidity. In addition, it has been announced that "until further notice, all 2nd performances of the Main St. Electrical Parade have been cancelled until further notice". It seems that the upgrade to iOS 6.1 has shortened battery life and a second parade is not feasible as the floats had to be converted to "non-replaceable batteries" and sufficient capacity is not available to have 2 performances.

Stay tuned for further updates on these and other news items.
EXACTLY What I was thinking!
Except you forgot to put in the part about the new Disney park i-tickets being priced 100-200% more than the previous tickets due to them now having a picture of fruit branded on them
Old 02-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBarbossa View Post
EXACTLY What I was thinking!
Except you forgot to put in the part about the new Disney park i-tickets being priced 100-200% more than the previous tickets due to them now having a picture of fruit branded on them
Actually had a lot more but decided that discretion was the best.

Surprisingly, the new touch-pad "turnstiles" are somewhat "Applefied" (is that really a word?). Now in lieu of logging into the old style turnstile keypad with our ATS code & password and being able to see the ticket status on a nice size display & keypad, if we are assigned to a "V entry point" we have to go over, pickup an iPod Touch, login to it and then use it to see the ticket status, if there is an issue, when a guest scans their chip ticket. Not sure yet what we will be doing when the WiFi or system goes down. With the old system we went to a manual confirmation of ticket but that isn't possible with the new chip ticketing.

Went from a nice size screen that we could read easily to a small size display so now us older folks have to keep our glasses on during our assignment to actually see the icons when someones ticket does not scan properly or is not valid. In addition, we will now have to "hold" the Touch thruout our assignment (up to 2 hours or so). Can't even put it in our shirt pocket and just listen to the tones because guess what, no shirt pocket on our new costumes of a couple of years now. This is called progress.
11290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #28
Faldred
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post

It's not that Apple is "overpriced", it's that they don't compete in the commodity portion of the product space. But I think the argument can be made that Disney is already a "premium" experience; if you want a "commodity" vacation, you're going to your local or regional parks.

The laptop argument is bogus, too, because you're comparing completely different classes of machines (such as comparing Kennywood in Pittsburgh to WDW); compared to "ultrabooks" (a category inspired by the Macbook Air, by the way), the MacBook Air is priced and spec'd similarly, and likely has a lower TCO over time. And specs aren't everything, as in the end, it's usability and overall experience that matters.

What sets Apple apart from its competitors is its emphasis on human factors. Yes, that's often manifested as what looks like excessive control, but their market success lends a strong argument that it does work. And that's what a WDW vacation is all about -- the human factors. Immersion and consistency.

March 2009: Port Orleans Riverside ( Trip Report -- Dining Report ) -- May 2006: Vacation Village timeshare -- May 2002: Orange Lake timeshare
Faldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #29
SpacePlace
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=lockedoutlogic;47485866]Boy...somedays i think they should just shutdown the "rumors and news" board and replace it with "hypothetical without theoretical extrapolation"

That would be a great forum for me to finally post my secret findings that Disney has built a time-machine so that they can go back in time and find the perpetual energy machine they built earlier that was stolen by a guy in a bowler hat.
SpacePlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #30
SpacePlace
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh View Post
No.

If only for the reason that everything Apple does is SO overpriced. Ticket? That'll be $500, sir.
But the bathrooms would be made completely out of that futuristic, glossy white material like all their computers and stores. And Siri could tell me what happened to all the toilet paper!
SpacePlace is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: