Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #3061
DisneyLifeMel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The V Gang View Post
I did a MMP before our trip in 2011 and found that the only reason the dining plan was a slightly better deal for us is the kids pricing for four of our five kids (baby didn't need a plan..lol). Once the become adults the meal plan will end ip costing much more than OOP.

The mock up took me forever when I started factoring in not only the meal but the drinks n apps too...lol. Unless the dining plan changes I have a feeling most families will opt out...
If tipping was included in the DDP then it might make a little more sense to go with the 1TS/1QS/1snack meal plan. But for our family of 5, the buffets & character meals we like are nearly $200 w/o a tip, and that is what you base your tip on. So tipping adds about $40 to a meal - which I don't mind for good TS, but not for buffets.

Our kids are not really into the character meals anymore, so we go to TS restaurants where we order off menu. Then we add up those prices, add tax & tip, and we can all eat (quite well) for around $100 - $140 total. Much better. Most of our trips are 5 nights, and we do about 2TS meals. That is more our pace.

Until all of our kids are ravenous teenagers, which will be very soon, we will likely eat OOP and make MMPs before every trip. It is fun thinking about, though!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #3062
DisneyLifeMel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaS View Post
You may want to check out Tables in Wonderland too. Lots of guests use that and find it saves them considerable money when they decide to go without the dining plans.
I need to do some research on TIW. Do you like it? Is it per person or per family? I have an AP. So, am I right in thinking I only need 1 TIW membership for my family of 5?

Thanks!!

Last edited by DisneyLifeMel; 02-13-2013 at 09:45 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #3063
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalmoments4 View Post
How old is your DD? Mine will be 8 when we go and as of now, she is not a big eater. We call her our little birdie, but my DS (who will be 11) is a good eater but also has more expensive taste (steak, lobster, the good stuff). Plus, my son and I both enjoy dessert after our meals. But, I'm thinking of taking the advice and doing a mock meal plan and pricing it out. This should not be so stressful, but when given too many choices, my brain can't seem to quit and then I stress out!! But, that's why I love it here, everyone has good ideas, advice, and whatnots!!!
DD is now 15! We are celebrating her Sweet Sixteen while at Disney at our lovely Beach Club resort this July.

She is a good eater as is my DH, but we snack so much (mickey ears ice cream, dole whips, Caramels in Germany, pretzels, on and on and on because after all it's vacation!) and usually want to share a dessert, that we can get away with sharing a meal every now and then!!!

We have been to Disney SEVERAL times, and have never gotten the dining plan. DH doesn't like to be tied down to "well, we have to have a nice meal otherwise we are wasting money on this dining plan". As for myself, there are times that all I want is a bowl of soup for my meal (Sanaa is a perfect example, I LOVE, LOVE their tomato soup.) so using a meal credit for a $6 bowl is kind of nuts.

I'm sure the plan is a good thing for many families, it just isn't for us.
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal 11/14 - AoA 12/14 - Disney Soccer Showcase
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie:cat
Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #3064
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Teena: I hope you are feeling better this week?

We are scheduling our trip this year for July 19-27 and I do hope you will be in town???

Oh yea, guess what? I was kind of joking last week with DH and DD and said instead of WDW this year how about a cruise?? Out of the blue (nearly knocked me over) DH (who has refused for years) actually said "Maybe next year"!!!!

Now granted that is not a YES, but it's the next best thing.
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal 11/14 - AoA 12/14 - Disney Soccer Showcase
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie:cat
Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #3065
DisneyLifeMel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post

We are scheduling our trip this year for July 19-27 and I do hope you will be in town???

Oh yea, guess what? I was kind of joking last week with DH and DD and said instead of WDW this year how about a cruise?? Out of the blue (nearly knocked me over) DH (who has refused for years) actually said "Maybe next year"!!!!

My DH did the same thing to me a couple of years ago. He was in the Navy when we got married, and for years he avoided cruise ships. I guess he never thought ships & vacations should go together.

So the day before we were to fly out to go o Disneyland (my first time in CA), he says, "How 'bout a cruise to Alaska?"

Oh, and this spring trip.... totally his idea! I think I have brought him over to the Dark Side.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #3066
The V Gang
The V Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLifeMel

If tipping was included in the DDP then it might make a little more sense to go with the 1TS/1QS/1snack meal plan. But for our family of 5, the buffets & character meals we like are nearly $200 w/o a tip, and that is what you base your tip on. So tipping adds about $40 to a meal - which I don't mind for good TS, but not for buffets.

Our kids are not really into the character meals anymore, so we go to TS restaurants where we order off menu. Then we add up those prices, add tax & tip, and we can all eat (quite well) for around $100 - $140 total. Much better. Most of our trips are 5 nights, and we do about 2TS meals. That is more our pace.

Until all of our kids are ravenous teenagers, which will be very soon, we will likely eat OOP and make MMPs before every trip. It is fun thinking about, though!
We are still in the character buffet stage. The kids love to see the characters and love trying so of everything. I agree that the food is much better at TS but the variety of options means nobody can complain. Since the average price per child for the buffets is more than we pay for the dining plan (per day) we end up saving money. We also love to each (well my husband and I do...haha) so we have a table ressie almost everyday. As soon as they no longer qualify for the kids dining plan we are moving to oop though.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #3067
The V Gang
The V Gang

Btw...wasnt the tip included in the ddp a few years ago? I can't remember for sure but I do remember enjoying the appetizer option much more .
Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #3068
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyT View Post
Come Inside and Have a Seat.......Relax and Enjoy!
Nice!!!

Great advice.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #3069
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I did a MMP before our trip in 2011 and found that the only reason the dining plan was a slightly better deal for us is the kids pricing for four of our five kids (baby didn't need a plan..lol). Once the become adults the meal plan will end ip costing much more than OOP.

The mock up took me forever when I started factoring in not only the meal but the drinks n apps too...lol. Unless the dining plan changes I have a feeling most families will opt out...
Quote:
Btw...wasnt the tip included in the ddp a few years ago? I can't remember for sure but I do remember enjoying the appetizer option much more .
to the thread!

Will you be staying at the YC/BC/BCV for part or all of your trip? If so, would you like to be added to the Be Our Guest list on Page 1?

You are correct, tip was included when the Dining Plan was new. I know the switch happened prior to 2008, because that is the first year we used it, and we were on hook for the tip.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #3070
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

It will now & forever be called the MMP! I needed a name for it!!! I am looking at the diff between the Standard BC rooms and the Standard Club Level...for now..I may bump it up, but I feel like if I am not planning I am wasting time! LOL!!So,...We usually go the full week before Thanksgiving, which is the 16th for us this year! Hopefully if they put out room only discounts I will be able to snag one!! Fingers crossed!!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #3071
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLifeMel View Post
I need to do some research on TIW. Do you like it? Is it per person or per family? I have an AP. So, am I right in thinking I only need 1 TIW membership for my family of 5?

Thanks!!
Check out this site: http://tablesinwonderland.com/

We used it last trip (and the year-long benefits will last through our upcoming trip as well - woohoo). We really like it for the way we used it. We were travelling with my in-laws and planned many TS meals including several signature restaurants - one or two almost every day. It was nice to know that no matter what we ordered: appetizers, desserts, wine, before and after dinner drinks... it was all covered and all 20% off. It more than paid for itself during our trip (I wish I had calculated everything we spent and saved, but I never did ).

It works perfectly with a family. One card is all you need. When using it for multiple families (it's good for parties up to 10) it still works, but they will only bring one bill. You have to divide it yourself. However, there were one or two places that were willing to seperate the check and apply the discount to both.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #3072
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That looks so perfectly inviting
Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #3073
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What building is represented by that model? Is it a particular house? It resemebles the Phantom Manor in Disneyland Paris (their version of the Haunted Mansion), but with quite a few differences in details and color palette. Maybe it's some other Victorian manor?

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #3074
1coolnini
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for all the great information. It has been so helpful in planning our first trip to WDW. I have made reservations for a vacation to WDW 2 or 3 previous times, but we have always had to cancel for one reason or another. 2 weeks ago I decided to take advantage of the spring sale. We have booked a 8 night stay at BC CL 5/17-5/25. I am so excited. I have booked the standard dining plan but after reading the recent discussion I am planning on canceling. It will just be my DH and myself, we are not big dessert eaters, so I just don't think we will get our money's worth from a dining plan.

We are young active grandparents that live in Southern California. My very first REAL paying job was at Disneyland. I have been an AP holder at Dland since my adult children were young one's! WDW has been on my "bucket list" for years and it looks like 2013 is going to be the year that I finally can cross it off my list.

I would love to hear from others who have been to Disneyland what are "must do's" @WDW. We will not have a car.....we are leaving the driving to Mickey.

Jan
Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #3075
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post

Feeling better but still very weak. House is so dirty but it's all I can do to just do the clothes and dish washing. I got my appetite back so maybe now that I start eating again I'll start feeling better.

We may have to alternate our "shore" week because Lily's birthday is 7/11 (the week we are going this year). Jeanne said next year she may have to spend birthday with her dad. If that's the case, we'll either do the shore the week before or the week after. I'll be shooting for the earlier week in July because then Jeanne and the baby always come here for the first two weeks of August too.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: