Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
QcDISer
Earning My Ears

Transportation to Dowwntown

Hi everybody,

Is there direct transportation from the parks to DTD or do we have to go from the parks to our resort, then transfer to a bus to DTD?

Thanks.
QcDISer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

No direct transportation from theme parks to DTD.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
QcDISer
Earning My Ears

Thx

I thought this would be a nice feature for people wanting to end a day at the parks with dinner and relax time at DTD... I'm sure the buses would be full each time.

But again, Disney probably thought about it before and there is some reason why they do not have this.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

It can be done wiith a little bit of a walk.

Take a bus to Saratoga Springs Resort. Then walk through the resort to DTD. They have a path that is set up for this walk.

The only issue is, the bus station is on the other side of the resort. a good 1/2 mile walk. but it can be done.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
SA mom
DIS Veteran

They used to run buses between the parks and DTD. People figured out that parking at DTD was free and so would park there all day while they went to the parks, leaving no room to park for people actually going to DTD.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
~Tonga Wingo~
A.K.A Mrs. Dale

There is free parking at DTD so it keeps people from being able to park there and take a bus to one of the parks...thus not having to pay the parking fees at whichever park. I understand this...but people could still park at DTD, transfer to a resort and then to the park of their choice so it doesnt make a whole lot of sense...

WDW Commando Member #143
-----------------------------------------------
Latest Trips: June 2010 ASMo / May 2011 Pop / June 2012 Music / Oct 2013 POR

Upcoming trip!! AKL - Nov 2014
~Tonga Wingo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

There's also the option of taking a bus to Port Orleans Riverside or Port Orleans French Quarter, and then taking a boat from there to DTD.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
QcDISer
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tonga Wingo~ View Post
There is free parking at DTD so it keeps people from being able to park there and take a bus to one of the parks...thus not having to pay the parking fees at whichever park. I understand this...but people could still park at DTD, transfer to a resort and then to the park of their choice so it doesnt make a whole lot of sense...
Yes. Or they could offer the ride from the parks to DTD only, not the other way around. These buses could then be serviccing resorts from DTD to resorts to make sure they do not run empty. This could be managed through a transpotation management system.

ttintagel: There's also the option of taking a bus to Port Orleans Riverside or Port Orleans French Quarter, and then taking a boat from there to DTD.

Yes, we'll probably do this since we will be staying at POR. It will still be a waste of time in transportation after a day at AK to a ressie at DTD...

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tonga Wingo~ View Post
Disney made it harder, but not impossible. Apparently it's okay with them as long as you want to waste a bunch of park-time to save $14.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

As PPs have noted, you need to go from a park to a resort to get to DTD; but you don't have to go to your resort.

From the MK, for example, you could walk to the Contemporary and get a DTD bus there. Or you could just jump on the first bus you come across and transfer wherever that takes you.

I don't think the SSR option is as difficult as the PP noted. If you take the SSR bus just make sure to stay on until the Congress Park bus stop and walk from there. That's the stop closest to DTD and the walking path.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Apparently it's okay with them as long as you want to waste a bunch of park-time to save $14.
$14 x 6 days at the parks = $84

i would rather save the $84 and spend it on other items, like snacks or gifts.

Even when I stay off site, I go park some place (free) and then take disney transportation. Crowds and a little extra time do not bother me. $14 to park, does bother me.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
sabrinadv1
Mouseketeer

Parking is a lot more expensive in other places. In new Orleans parking was $35 a day at our hotel.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Moving to Transportation board.

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Let's put this as plainly, and as simply, as we can. If you want to go to a park, and you want to drive your car, then you need to park in the parking lot provided for that particular park. You don't get to head to, say, BW and park there in order to access either DHS or Epcot. You don't get to park at the CR or Polynesian or GF and then head to the MK. Parking, for more than a few hours, at the resorts is supposed to be limited to those paying to stay at that resort.

Buses to, and from, DTD to parks were not discontinued due to people abusing the free parking. In all reality, the buses back to the resorts don't even start until later than park opening..so what would be the point? They stopped running the buses because there was little call for them. I have had several bus drivers tell me exactly the same thing over the years.
And now?? If you want to park at DTD and go to a park?? Sure, if you don't mind taking at least 90 mins to do so..and you have to wait until about 9:30 to do it.

If you stay off-site, and you drive a car to the parks, then you should be budgeting parking costs into your overall budget. It's really not so fair to take, free, what someone is paying for. And that's what you're doing if you park at a resort in order to get to a park without paying to park.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tonga Wingo~
Of course the parks will have been open for hours.

Buses don't run from DTD to the resorts until a hour to two hours after DTD opens.

Penny wise and pound foolish to waste half a day to save $14
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: