Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #31
crysmom
Mouseketeer

My 9 year old son went missing in Cars land, I wasn't overly concerned because of his age and the fact it was our 5th day in the parks so he was some what familiar with the area we looked for him in carsland and then decided to walk to the next ride (tower of terror) becaues he knew that's what we were doing next. Once we arrived there and he wasn't there I asked the cm at the fastpass if she could call the lost kids area to see if he was there. He had decided we were missing and looked on the map and walked himself there to the lost child center and told them we were missing.

so sometimes kids do listen because although I made jokes to my kids and husband that if they went missing during our trip that they should sit on the ground and cry and we would be able to find them, but while walking around I pointed out the lost kids center and I guess he was listening because that's where he went.
crysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #32
Chelsea524
Mouseketeer

We do the safety tats for our kids, but if we for any reason don't have one then I would get a disney button and write our number on the back of that, nicer than writing it on my kids arm because by the end of a week long trip that number is probably a big black mess rather than anything legible. I tell my kids to try to find a CM, but as others have mentioned, they all have different uniforms and that can be confusing to kids. They also know to look for a mom or family with kids.

DLR Completed Trips 1998, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012
First year of Annual Passes complete, 2012-2013!

Next adult trip April 2014!
Kids trip Sept 2014!
Chelsea524 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #33
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea524 View Post
We do the safety tats for our kids, but if we for any reason don't have one then I would get a disney button and write our number on the back of that, nicer than writing it on my kids arm because by the end of a week long trip that number is probably a big black mess rather than anything legible. I tell my kids to try to find a CM, but as others have mentioned, they all have different uniforms and that can be confusing to kids. They also know to look for a mom or family with kids.
Here's why we use the arm... Dog tags or bracelets? Got left on the counter in the hotel room... Buttons, got left on yesterdays shirt. Put business cards in pockets? It got lost. Using on of our sharpies we used for autographes on the upper arm? Kids never lost their arm, left it behind, forgot it, etc... We usually used red or orange, kids would remind us to darken it. They usually got to pick their color. We travel with nieces and nephews. It was too hard for them to learn our numbers. It was just easier to write it on their arms.
Malcon10t is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #34
KristinRiess
Earning My Ears

We have used safety tats for anywhere we have gone around here with big crowds. I love them and plan on ordering some more before our trip
KristinRiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #35
KateDrake
DIS Veteran

Sorry to jump in so late, but I have a great alternate idea for people who want to do dog tags, bracelets, etc.

I went to the party store and bought a package of neon-colored wrist bands, the kind you get at a nightclub, swimming pool, whatever. They are made of something like paper, but it is must stronger and can't be torn off by little hands. I got a package of like 200 for about $3.

Now we take a few with us on every trip and write our cell numbers on those. Much easier than writing on a child's arm, etc. We used these on a cruise and were able to put our cabin number on the wristband, so they could look up who was staying there and page us if DD got lost. Worked great since we couldn't use cell phones at sea!

Anyway, just my two cents, but it's an easy solution!
KateDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #36
Mousequake
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acpalmer View Post
(and why does no one ever mention a dad with kids--both men and women can be either trustworthy or not, just because a woman is somewhere with kids doesn't mean she's a good person).
Seriously. As a full-time stay-at-home dad, I'm finding all of the suggestions to find a mom with kids irritating and more than a touch sexist. I'd know exactly what to do with a lost kid, and am extremely adept at interacting with unfamiliar kids if they look like they need some kind of help.
Mousequake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #37
larina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousequake

Seriously. As a full-time stay-at-home dad, I'm finding all of the suggestions to find a mom with kids irritating and more than a touch sexist. I'd know exactly what to do with a lost kid, and am extremely adept at interacting with unfamiliar kids if they look like they need some kind of help.
I wholeheartedly agree! I must say though, I wouldn't tell my kids to EVER approach ANY random stranger, man or woman, if lost. You go to a CM or a police officer. They have a place they take lost kids. A stranger could take your kid anywhere. And teaching kids that they don't need to be afraid of moms is just crazy. Women can be child abusing sickos too,, the just don't get outed as often.

I get the cell phone angle, but I still wouldn't have them approach a stranger.
Now enjoying Christmas 2013 at DLH
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #38
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

I tell my kids to find a mom with children because they are more comfortable approaching a woman they don't know than a man. It is not intended to be sexist on my part and was not intended to be an insult against fathers. Your mileage may vary and I think that each family should pick a solution that they are comfortable with.
VandVsmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #39
dmband
DIS Veteran

As someone who works close with abduction prevention and related situations the main thing everyone says is to teach the child to stay put if lost.
Don't go looking for mom, dad, cop - stay put
Followed by "make a scene" the more noise and attention drawn in the safer you are. Going to any stranger and asking for help is potentially asking to be taken and that leads to a whole new issue.
Of course of all places to get lost I would say Disney is one of the best/safest but you can't teach kids do this at Disney, do this at the mall, do this here or there
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #40
Rubygoose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larina View Post
I wholeheartedly agree! I must say though, I wouldn't tell my kids to EVER approach ANY random stranger, man or woman, if lost. You go to a CM or a police officer. They have a place they take lost kids. A stranger could take your kid anywhere. And teaching kids that they don't need to be afraid of moms is just crazy. Women can be child abusing sickos too,, the just don't get outed as often.

I get the cell phone angle, but I still wouldn't have them approach a stranger.
I agree. Telling your child to find a mom with kids is encouraging them to approach a stranger. I was always taught as a kid to stay put if I was lost, and when I was a bit older, my parents would establishing a meeting point where we would go if we got separated. I was never told to approach someone I didn't know (out of uniform) and ask for help. It seems like doing that would be making a child much more vulnerable. This is the type of child those crazy people seek out.
Rubygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #41
jenpace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousequake View Post
I've always told my kids to find a mom if they get lost as opposed to a dad or parent. This is recommended by Gavin De Becker, an expert on personal safety and author of 'The Gift of Fear'.

"Teach your child to go to a woman if she is lost.

Why? First, if your child selects a woman, it’s highly unlikely that the woman will be a sexual predator. Next, a woman approached by a lost child asking for help is likely to stop whatever she is doing, get down to the kid’s eye level, commit to that child, and not rest until the child is safe. A man approached by the same child might say, ‘‘Head over there to the manager’s desk,’’ whereas a woman is most likely to get involved and stay involved.

Is what I’ve said politically incorrect? Maybe so, but the luxury of not running for office is that I don’t care if it’s politically incorrect. The fact is that men in all cultures and at all ages and at all times in history are more violent than women - and facts are not political.

‘‘If you are ever lost, go to a woman’’ works because it’s practical (there will almost always be a woman around) and simple (easy to teach, easy to learn, easy to do). Finally, teaching children to choose someone rather than wait for someone to choose them will be a useful lesson their whole lives. It’s the same advice I give to adult women."
Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #42
larina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenpace

I've always told my kids to find a mom if they get lost as opposed to a dad or parent. This is recommended by Gavin De Becker, an expert on personal safety and author of 'The Gift of Fear'.

"Teach your child to go to a woman if she is lost.

Why? First, if your child selects a woman, it’s highly unlikely that the woman will be a sexual predator. Next, a woman approached by a lost child asking for help is likely to stop whatever she is doing, get down to the kid’s eye level, commit to that child, and not rest until the child is safe. A man approached by the same child might say, ‘‘Head over there to the manager’s desk,’’ whereas a woman is most likely to get involved and stay involved.

Is what I’ve said politically incorrect? Maybe so, but the luxury of not running for office is that I don’t care if it’s politically incorrect. The fact is that men in all cultures and at all ages and at all times in history are more violent than women - and facts are not political.

‘‘If you are ever lost, go to a woman’’ works because it’s practical (there will almost always be a woman around) and simple (easy to teach, easy to learn, easy to do). Finally, teaching children to choose someone rather than wait for someone to choose them will be a useful lesson their whole lives. It’s the same advice I give to adult women."
I'm sorry but this is totally off base! I could not agree less. And who is Gavin De Becker? Never heard of him before. As far as getting down to their level, commitment to a strange child and eye contact, women don't have the market on any of these things. In your scenario, the man handing the child off to a manager is the one doing the right thing. The woman wandering around with your kid is not.

I'm not concerned with your political correctness, or lack thereof. I am concerned with baseless facts about children's safety. There are lots of places where men outnumber women, so there may not be one around. Women molest and kidnap too!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #43
jenpace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larina View Post

I'm not concerned with your political correctness, or lack thereof. I am concerned with baseless facts about children's safety. There are lots of places where men outnumber women, so there may not be one around. Women molest and kidnap too!

The mention of 'political correctness' in my above post is in the quote attributed to Mr. de Becker, not me
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #44
larina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenpace

The mention of 'political correctness' in my above post is in the quote attributed to Mr. de Becker, not me
Okay, we'll I'm not concerned with his political correctness either. I am concerned with e baseless "facts" he is presenting.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #45
Mom of three
Mouseketeer

I saw something yesterday that was alarming. I was standing near Goofys Sky School waiting for my 6 and 14 year old children. I small boy, maybe 4 years old came and sat about 5 feet away from me, he was crying, arms crossed and obviously bothered. I smiled and he looked right at me making eye contact. I couldn't tell if he was just throwing a tantrum or if he was legitimately in distress. I looked around and didn't see any adults. Umm....???? I didn't want to approach the boy and scare him so I to myself I would wait another few minutes and then tell the CM standing near the ride entrance. Just then a man got off the ride and met up with the little boy. It was his dad. He left the kid while he and another child went on the ride. Then proceeded to "scold" the child for not waiting at the exit like he was told. Kid was crying hard by this time, he was scared. I felt bad for him. Wth is wrong with people???
Mom of three is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: