Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #16
Tink2312
I didn't ask to be a princess but if the crown fits...
May take over the world ... or not

We stayed at AKV last Jan and loved being so close to the animals and the pool area is great. However we felt a little far out and it just didn't have that sparkle for us. We'll probably go back but I think we had such high expectations that it was a bit of a disappointment. We didn't have a savannah view though - maybe that would've made the difference.
Looking forward to reading more
Easter 1992 - Holiday Inn I-Drive/ Hilton St. Pete’s Beach, June 1993 - Doubletree Universal/ Hilton Clearwater, Easter 1995 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive,Halloween 1995 - DLP offsite, Easter 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza I-Drive, Easter 2000 - Doubletree Universal, Christmas 2000 - Courtyard by Marriot DTD/ Tradewinds Island Grande St Pete’s Beach/ Holiday Inn Universal Halloween 2001 - Cheyenne DLP, Easter 2002 - CBM DTD/ Clearwater Beach Hotel, July 2003 - Newport Bay DLP Jan 2004 - Cypress Pointe, Easter 2005 - Hawthorn Suites LBV/ Bahama Bay, July 2006 - Newport Bay DLP Christmas2006- Springhill Suites LBV, Thanksgiving 2007 - Buena Vista Palace/ Park Shore Naples/ Pop/ CSR, March/ April 2009 - Pop/ CSR/ Blue Heron Beach Resort Nov 2009 - SSR and free dining Oct 2010 - SSR and free DDP March 2011 - Solo trip to BLT Sept 2011 - DLRP Christmas/ New Year 2011 - BLT/AKV/WLV Nov 2012 - BLT/Dream 4 night Bahamas Cruise June 2013 -Magic Mediterranean 7 night cruise November 2013 - BLT February 2014 - DLP solo October 2014 - ASM, BLT & BC
Tink2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink2312
We stayed at AKV last Jan and loved being so close to the animals and the pool area is great. However we felt a little far out and it just didn't have that sparkle for us. We'll probably go back but I think we had such high expectations that it was a bit of a disappointment. We didn't have a savannah view though - maybe that would've made the difference.
Looking forward to reading more
This is what I wondered. We'll only be staying 2 nights so its an ideal opportunity to try somewhere different.

The other place I'm considering is Wilderness Lodge Villas
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #18
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Well after a lot of thinking we opted to stay at AKV for the 2 nights prior to our cruise. Today was our 7 month window so we have booked a standard studio at Kidani.

As we are only there for 2 nights (and we don't arrive until late on the first night) we stuck with a standard view to save some points. Looking forward to seeing a bit more of this resort. We have only ever visited AKL once when we ate at Boma.

Plan on spending our one full day there enjoying some of the resort a little to see if we'll stay there again or not.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #19
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Usually the night before our flight we stay in a hotel near the airport. It's something that started the year we went for our wedding and has become a part of our holiday each year since.

We have previously stayed at the Hilton (we were gold members there so usually got a good free upgrade but lost that status a few years back.) However the rooms are not as good for a family so last trip we stayed at the Marriott as they have 2 double beds in a standard room. This was a lovely hotel and walking distance to the airport.

I was all set to book the Marriott when I started reading some reviews about the new premier inn at the North terminal. This was a much better deal so decided to give it ago.

We have a family room, a standard double room, dinner for 4 adults (with a drink) and breakfast for all 6 of us for a total of £171. So all we'll have to pay for is Megan's dinner. Charlie will be 11 months so he can just share
Old 02-25-2013, 04:19 AM   #20
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great start Laura
jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #21
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Today I've finally booked the Airport lounge. This is another "tradition" that started several years back when we first went to the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse. Now we have 2 kids the clubhouse is a bit pricey so recently we have been going to the No1 lounge at Gatwick south.
It's great to have somewhere peaceful before the flight. Hopefully means we can give Charlie a nap before we go too.

Managed to get it at a good price too - £85 for 4 adults, 1 child and 1 infant. So that's another thing off my to do list.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #22
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Your plans are really coming together Laura

I think you'll really like AKV - we loved it when we stayed there. The only real downside is the distance from the parks but it wasn't bad enough to put me off staying there again.

Have you decided where you're staying post-cruise (have I mised that bit)?
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:27 AM   #23
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

We will be staying at SSR this year So the plans are:-

Thursday 12th September - Overnight at Gatwick
Friday 13th September - Fly to MCO (not sure this was the best date lol)
Friday 13th September - 2 nights at AKV
Sunday 15th September - 4 Night Dream cruise
Thursday 19th September - 14 Nights at SSR
Thursday 3rd Oct - Fly home

Remaining to book:

Car Hire - This year we are not intending on having a car for long (1 week) as Charlie will be so small we plan on staying mostly onsite this year. I'm guessing we will rent one large car instead of 2 smaller ones as this is cheaper plus we plan on driving to the port so will save in parking.

ADRs - Megan will be 3 and Charlie will be around 11 months so going to keep ADRs to a minimum this year. We'll have 4 nights of sit down meals on the cruise so I think around 3 or 4 meals would be ideal or us. At the moment I think they will be Boma (buffet will be good for kids), Dinner at CRT (Megan loved this last time) and a Fantasmic Dinner (again helpful with 2 kids - probably mama Melrose as we haven't tried this one). I'm tempted to book another Character meal somewhere.

Cruise Excursions - This will be our 4th Trip to Nassau but we have never ventured to Atlantis yet so think we will book to have a look around.

Other than that its all the usual - ESTAs, API, Getting Charlie's passport etc.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #24
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

Just found your PTR.

How exciting - all your plans looks great!

AKL is our favourite resort. (I loved GF too but we can't afford that again for a while!)

It just feels so special and the animals make it amazing. We also find the bus service the best of all the resorts we've stayed at (CRs and GFs was dire and BW shares with 4 other resorts!) so although its not right by a park like the other deluxes it actaully seems a lot quicker to get places.

That being said you've just got a couple of days there anyway so enjoy the resort and maybe pop to AK if you fancy a park as its so quick to get there!

Look forward to hearing more. Xx

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #25
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsie24
Just found your PTR.

How exciting - all your plans looks great!

AKL is our favourite resort. (I loved GF too but we can't afford that again for a while!)

It just feels so special and the animals make it amazing. We also find the bus service the best of all the resorts we've stayed at (CRs and GFs was dire and BW shares with 4 other resorts!) so although its not right by a park like the other deluxes it actaully seems a lot quicker to get places.

That being said you've just got a couple of days there anyway so enjoy the resort and maybe pop to AK if you fancy a park as its so quick to get there!

Look forward to hearing more. Xx
Hoping to just spend time round the pool and explore the resort a little. I've always wanted to stay but others were less keen so I'm hoping a few days will help convince them

We loved GF too (although it was our honeymoon and we were upgraded so that helped a little) hoping the DVC part is as nice when it opens. X
Old 03-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #26
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

Yeah I'm super excited for GFV! It may well convince us to buy in.

We had a club level room in the Main Building for a few nights around our wedding so our GF experience was as luxurious as it could've been. Sort of makes it hard to compare it to anywhere else and makes us wonder how much we'd like being in a standard room.

I actually prefer the DVC studios to regular rooms now though so I'm hoping GFV will be the perfect compromise.

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #27
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Everythings coming together really well.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #28
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

It's my Parents 30th Anniversary a few months before we go. As always they insist they don't want any presents and I know they hate the ideas of parties. So I'm thinking of booking something different for them whilst we are over there.

I'm considering a backstage tour - the undiscovered future world tour. As Epcot is their favourite park

Still thinking of ideas at this stage so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. So far I've decided against -

Illuminations Cruise (not done a wishes one though)
Discovery Cove (already done)
GF afternoon tea (not their cup of tea hehe)
Old 03-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #29
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Booked a couple of ADR's -

14th Sept - Boma for dinner. We loved this last time and the ease of a buffet with 2 kids on day 1 of our holiday sealed the deal.

22nd Sept - Dinner in the castle Megan loved this last year and is now much more into her princesses so glad to have this one booked.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #30
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Well I tried to get a Fantasmic package for dinner one night but no luck. The latest dinner they had was 3:20pm - that's really not going to work with a child and a baby who needs naps.

So I decided to book a Chef Mickey dinner instead. Never done dinner here but it has all the main characters which is what Megan's wants and is a buffet which will suit us.

So we have 3 ADRs but that's all I'm going to book. We will have 4 nice meals on the cruise too so I think that's enough for an 11 month old

The rest I'm looking forward to trying a few new places off site and some of the CS we haven't tried.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: