Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #76
Laugh O. Grams

DIS Veteran

We'e heading to Disney this Saturady, the 16th, for a week with a party of 8 and I've got to tell you, I've never found it so easy to make ADR's at peak hours, even up until just this morning (amazed by be able to add on Teppan Edo at 6:00pm on Sunday & Chef Mickey breakfast at 7:15 am on Wednesday). I figured that next week had to be slower than I had anticipated.

All that being said, we are far from commando-style Disney guests. Our typical day is rope drop at the park of choice until 1pm at the latest, then back to resort for swim/nap for a few hours, then pre-dinner cocktails at whichever resort/Epcot restaurant we've chosen for dinner. After dinner, we might go to the resort bar for a night cap. We'll generally do a couple days of drinks around the world at Epcot as well.

With the early mornings and all the drinking, we basically miss all the craziness, or are just buzzed enough not to care, regardless of what time of the year we're there.
Laugh O. Grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #77
Gamegrl1
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the heads up

Thanks for the heads up about EasyWDW and Touring Plans...I'm adding that to my notes for our trip next January 2014. I'll remember to check up on the dates for the cheer competitions...I found it online somewhere but I don't remember the specific site.

I'm wondering if the Fantasyland renovation had something to do with greater crowds. Or maybe the crowds just seem bigger to those that have been before and have something to compare it to. We've never been to WDW, just Disneyland. We'll certainly be avoiding the EMH parks and plan to only have one park day on a weekend (Saturday). I bought our tickets a couple weeks ago through Undercover Tourist and we didn't want the Hopper option... my understanding is the place is so BIG that getting from park to park takes quite a while (unlike Disneyland where last time we hit both parks twice in a day). We figured we'd pick non-EMH parks and take our chances, use FP and just try to get A and B-list stuff done and anything after that would be gravy.

Last edited by Gamegrl1; 02-12-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Gamegrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #78
diddldonna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laugh O. Grams View Post
We'e heading to Disney this Saturady, the 16th, for a week with a party of 8 and I've got to tell you, I've never found it so easy to make ADR's at peak hours, even up until just this morning (amazed by be able to add on Teppan Edo at 6:00pm on Sunday & Chef Mickey breakfast at 7:15 am on Wednesday). I figured that next week had to be slower than I had anticipated.

All that being said, we are far from commando-style Disney guests. Our typical day is rope drop at the park of choice until 1pm at the latest, then back to resort for swim/nap for a few hours, then pre-dinner cocktails at whichever resort/Epcot restaurant we've chosen for dinner. After dinner, we might go to the resort bar for a night cap. We'll generally do a couple days of drinks around the world at Epcot as well.

With the early mornings and all the drinking, we basically miss all the craziness, or are just buzzed enough not to care, regardless of what time of the year we're there.
It would be nice if your right and it will be quieter than the crowds stated this week. I am arriving on Monday

Past WDW Vacations: 2013 OKW, 2010 OKW, 2007 ASM, 2005 ASM, 2004 off site.
diddldonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #79
Laugh O. Grams

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddldonna View Post
It would be nice if your right and it will be quieter than the crowds stated this week. I am arriving on Monday
If I get stuck behind a BTG, I'll be thinking of you! Have a great trip!!
Laugh O. Grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #80
Gamegrl1
Mouseketeer

Hope *everyone* can enjoy their visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canooknic View Post
the US photographer at the globe...was really unimpressed with their behaviour all day and gave them a mouthful about their lack of manners!)
I love it! Sometimes people are going to blow you off and keep acting up but every once in a while I speak up and let 'em know (in as nice a way as possible, but clear and firm!) that their behavior isn't ok and it's affecting other people. At DL one time, a group of teenage girls were on the Little Mermaid ride, singing at the top of their lungs and screaming like they were pretend-scared and shouting to each other...all SO loud that I could hardly hear the music and voice-overs. I confronted them after the ride and they all looked so surprised, like it hadn't occurred to them that it wasn't "all about them". They were quiet and didn't say anything back (I was braced for smart-mouthing but it didn't happen). The line was super-short so I hopped on again and enjoyed it!

Sorry for getting off topic a bit.
Gamegrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #81
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

It was nice that he said something because they didn't speak English very well so me trying to say anything would have been a waste of effort!!

I was talking to a couple on the bus back to the resort tonight that have come to WDW this week every year since they retired 17 years ago and they say they've never seen it like this. I told them I wasn't sure if we'd come early February again and they assured me that they would find some pixie dust that will keep the crowds away for us next year!! They were so sweet.

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #82
disfan4life1
Mouseketeer

Just got home a few minutes ago. Went from 2/8-2/11. Was kinda crowded. Tour groups big but not problematic. Also tons of cheerleaders but again no problems. The longest wait we had was space mountain at 50 minutes. We rode everything at Epcot on Saturday morning then drove to Magic Kingdom, sat and watched the parade then rode Pirates, haunted mansion, little mermaid, buzz, space mountain, buzz, TTA, buzz, met with some characters then watched fireworks. Sunday started at MK, rode Peter Pan , small world, haunted mansion, Thunder mountain, little mermaid,visited circus characters, space mountain 2x, buzz 3x then drove to HS. There we watched parade rode star tours, movie ride, little mermaid show, art class 2x, RnR, TOT 3x, fantasmic. Monday started at HS, rode toy story, art class, mermaid show, ToT, 2x, RnR 2x, beauty and beast, RnR, ToT, muppets 3d, pizza planet. Drove to MK. Met with all the princesses and their princes for pics and valentine cards. Then rode haunted mansion 2x, Peter Pan, philharmagic, little mermaid, space mtn, TTA, electric parade, buzz at least 7-8x, then just hung around for the goodnight kiss. Was sad to leave.

December 1995 All Star Sports
December 2000 Port Orleans Riverside
October 2001 All Star Movies
June 2002 Off site
November 2002 All Star Sports
November 2003
2004 Pop Century
May 2007
March 2010 All Star Movies
May 2011 Pop Century
October 2011 Coronado Springs
September 2012 Pop Century
disfan4life1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #83
Ds4angels
Mouseketeer

We were there 2/3 at MK and it was busier then I'd seen it previous years in early Feb. We utilized FP and did the park starting to the left and worked our way right, the longest we waited was 45 minutes to eat cupcakes at BOG. The new LM ride was broke the day we were there.
2/4 we did DHD (not recommended) and other then TSM everything else was 20 minute wait or less. It wasn't really crowded there.
2/5 Epcot (not recommended day but didn't want to do 2 bug parks back to back) it was really busy.
We didn't run into many large groups and those we did weren't too bad. I'd like to try the week after Thanksgiving to see if it's less crowded
Old 02-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #84
imLissy
Mouseketeer

We were there 2/2-10 and we thought the crowds weren't bad at all. MK was bad on MVP day, but the next day was better, though still more crowded than I expected. The other parks were pretty empty. We actually ran out of stuff to do towards the end of our days. Went on star tours three times
The weekends were probably more crowded than usual because of the beautiful weather. Still, we were at EPCOT on Saturday and it wasn't bad at all until around 5pm or so.
Went to Sea World Friday and it was definitely the least crowded, though also the least fun
imLissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #85
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eticketride View Post
I was at MK on 2/7, a touring plan rated "4" day at a neutral park. We are local so we usually avoid EMH days as we don't stay at hotels. This time we did stay on property so we took advantage of the early EMH and got everything done by 11 or so. But for those of you that doubt the OP's experience, here's a couple of pictures for you. 3:48, Thursday afternoon. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. I call the second picture, "Look Ma! No smiles."

And for those that wonder about TP vs EasyWDW, TP had MK as "neutral" while Josh had it as "avoid" due to the EMH. We only went to that park on that day because we had a family reunion of sorts happening and that was the only day that worked for us. For an idea of other times, at 2:30, Mermaid was 70 minutes, SM was 70 and Jungle Cruise was 55.
This area, especially the area in the top picture, is of a very small, claustrophobic location. Because of the construction and the walls, there just wasn't much room there. All the crowds are funneled into that location.

We were at the Studios that day, and did just about everything. We went back to the Magic Kingdom on 2/8, and had a great time, using Fastpasses.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #86
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I do have to say those pictures do look exactly like it does when we go the last week of August in those same areas. The difference being we hit everything at rope drop and then use fastpass in the afternoons. The last week of August is "moderate" crowds with 4's and 5's but that doesn't look different than what we're used to at peak hours.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #87
James65
Mouseketeer

We're spending Mardi Gras week here at WDW. Hasn't been too bad. Have seen some of the tour groups, but only got loud with chanting while in FP line at EE today. Our biggest problem has been rides breaking down and then the CM's not being able to handle the problems. All in all a good trip so far.

Many trips to WDW as a child.
Adult trips: Feb 2009 (WH), Mar 2011 (WH), Feb 2013 (WH), Mar 2014 (CBR)
James65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #88
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Unfortunately there are seemingly no slow times anymore..
Not true in my experience. I went from Dec 5-14 of 2011 and the crowds were close to non existent - the only place we had a problem was at the Osborne lights.

My last trip from Oct 21-Nov 1 2012 started off more crowded than I am used to, but thinned out after a couple of days. After day 2, the only crowds I experienced were at the Food & Wine Festival on a Saturday, but that is to be expected.
__disneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #89
MrToad1345
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl

Not true in my experience. I went from Dec 5-14 of 2011 and the crowds were close to non existent - the only place we had a problem was at the Osborne lights.

My last trip from Oct 21-Nov 1 2012 started off more crowded than I am used to, but thinned out after a couple of days. After day 2, the only crowds I experienced were at the Food & Wine Festival on a Saturday, but that is to be expected.
I just have to add and I know way off topic, I'm addicted to reading your trip report! The passion that would write the reports is truly magical.
We head down on 2/23 and haven't even told our kids yet. What fun!! My DW has her fingers crossed that no BTG or Big Snow issues!!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #90
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
I agree early December 2011 was fairly low. But I think part of that was because of the record cold the same time in 2010. It scared some folks off. I found the early December crowds in 2012 to be back to what I expected. Still not heavy, but not low by any means either.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: