Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
bcrook
DIS Veteran

RFID cards and automatic discounts

If you have a discount connected to your RFID card (and maybe magicbands later this week), do your purchases automatically add the discount or do you still have to ask for it?

For example, I am a DVC member, and I eat lunch at restaurant with a 20% discount, do I still have to ask for the discount and show my dvc card or will it be automatic? Same thing with PAP or AP or TIW etc... It sure would be convenient.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
hoosll
DIS Veteran

I was wondering the same thing ... if the band is a link to your profile in a database in the "MK basement" then it would be nice if it knows your entire profile including DVC, TIW, and any other special deals. It will also know your birthday, anniversary, etc. ...., as they are already collecting that info.

I have designed databases in the past and my question would be what is the KEY identifier that accesses your profile ... name, DOB, password, telephone #, SSN, the wristband. So, if you lose your wristband, what identifier will allow Disney to issue you a new one ... The combination of ticket and finger image seemed to be very efficient.

On our visit last week I was able to "tap" to charge to my FW card. Don't fall for "tap", you really need to hold your card up to the device until the light comes on ... tapping it does nothing.
WL - Feb '02; WL - Sep '03 Big Willie's B-day
WL- Dec '04 MY B-day
WL - Nov '06 - Big Willie retires
BWV - Nov '07 Midweek long weekend
WL - Apr '12 Me, DD, and DGS4, DGS2 -their 1st trip!
FW - Dec '12 First time in RV; Feb '13 Midwinter escape
WL - Feb '15 (may cancel due to FP+)
hoosll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
erionm
DIS Veteran

The 'Disney Park Experience Terms and Conditions' states you need to retain your AP and show that for verification of discount. See the section about 'Converting To Paperless Tickets'.

Quote:
Once available, you may convert certain paper tickets or passes to a paperless ticket or pass in the Site/App. Once converted, your ticket or pass park admission entitlements are stored in your account and fulfilled by an RF Device. The paper ticket or pass becomes void and is no longer valid for admission. However, you may want to keep your paper ticket or pass in the event you do not receive your RF Device before your visit or if you are a passholder you should keep your paper pass for validation of other passholder benefits.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/med...onditions.html
Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I'm hoping that the need to retain the AP itself is a temporary measure, while they tackle any tech limitations with it.

It would be nice if they could tie in discounts automatically, since there are AP discounts, DVC discounts, etc. and having to ask every time whichever one is the best one is a pain...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

I actually think the Magic Bands are one of the reasons they did away with the 20 percent merchandise discount for the PAPs. I believe they're going to have an AP marker on the band, and deciphering between the different APs for a discount may be a bit much for the new system.

I can't imagine they'll ever put TIW on the band because they charge you if you lose the card! Disney doesn't like closing off revenue streams.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
I actually think the Magic Bands are one of the reasons they did away with the 20 percent merchandise discount for the PAPs. I believe they're going to have an AP marker on the band, and deciphering between the different APs for a discount may be a bit much for the new system.
I remember hearing about some sort of thing attached to the band as well, but I don't know how real it was.

Quote:
I can't imagine they'll ever put TIW on the band because they charge you if you lose the card! Disney doesn't like closing off revenue streams.
I could see TIW being added...back when it was DDE and they used the plastic cards with the raised numbering like credit cards, and it took time to get them, I could see the replacement cost (also helps prevent one person getting multiple cards). Since then, they went to a custom Tyvek ticket stock, and last time I had it they just used regular ticket stock - so their replacement costs are WAY down already. By attaching it to the profile, it's replaced with the MB instead - lose that and you just replace the MB.

They can easily insure only the owner's MB can get the discount. However, it could get confusing as the TIW holder only needs to be one of the diners, not the one actually paying IIRC.

And I'm not even sure how you're supposed to pay for a TS meal with a MB (or use dining credits, etc.) - will they bring a portable scanner to you? Or do you have to give them your MB?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
And I'm not even sure how you're supposed to pay for a TS meal with a MB (or use dining credits, etc.) - will they bring a portable scanner to you? Or do you have to give them your MB?
The same way that they would charge you if you didn't show up.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
But the person who made the reservation is not always the person who pays, and even then it isn't always the same CC used to secure the ADR. And, of course, there is always the chance it was a walk-up (oh, who am I kidding...)

Old 02-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
But the person who made the reservation is not always the person who pays, and even then it isn't always the same CC used to secure the ADR. And, of course, there is always the chance it was a walk-up (oh, who am I kidding...)
If it's not a CC that is in your profile, you would not be paying with the band. That being said, it's pretty likely that they would simply use an iphone/itouch/ipad with an RFID reader to complete the transaction.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
If it's not a CC that is in your profile, you would not be paying with the band. That being said, it's pretty likely that they would simply use an iphone/itouch/ipad with an RFID reader to complete the transaction.
My point is that the CC in the profile is not necessarily the same used to secure the ADR.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am not sure I understand this statement? I don't eat at very many restaurants that require the security deposit. Also I am usually with a group and we all rotate payment using the TIW card.

These are good questions. I hope the discounts are built in, I hate asking for them.

Missyrose - your comment is hilarious!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm View Post
The 'Disney Park Experience Terms and Conditions' states you need to retain your AP and show that for verification of discount. See the section about 'Converting To Paperless Tickets'.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/med...onditions.html
That is disappointing.

Does this mean that the RFID cards being used right now for admission and charging are definitely NOT hooked up to discounts? You would think that would be easy to do with current (non magicband technology) if they wanted to.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
That is disappointing.

Does this mean that the RFID cards being used right now for admission and charging are definitely NOT hooked up to discounts? You would think that would be easy to do with current (non magicband technology) if they wanted to.
Currently, you need to show proof of discount to the CM and they apply the discount on the POS prior to payment.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
That is disappointing.

As far as I understand they are not giving those to AP holders yet anyways. And technically that ability could have been done in the old system too...

Tags
magicbands, rfid

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: