Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Here's why you need a passport.

The recent problems with the Carnival Triumph highlights the need to travel with a passport.

HOUSTON (AP) — The operators of a cruise vessel stranded in the Gulf of Mexico after a weekend engine fire say the craft has drifted so far north of its original position that they will tow the ship to Mobile, Ala., instead of their original plan for Progreso, Mexico.

Carnival Cruise Lines President and CEO Gerry Cahill says in a statement Monday evening that strong currents lead the vessel, the Carnival Triumph, to drift about 90 miles north of its original position off the Yucatan Peninsula, where it was located when the fire erupted Sunday in the engine room. No one was injured and the fire was extinguished.

Cahill's statement says the ship should arrive in Mobile on Thursday and that it will allow for less complicated re-entry for passengers without passports.
insureman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Found this on one of CC's threads as a possible response to this situation:

Quote:
22 CFR 532 (Code of Federal Regulations) allows by subsections (9) and (10) for the Dept of State to waive the PP requirement in certain situations, one of them being an emergency as covered by Executive Order 13323.
Shows there are plans in place when things happen.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
insureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Found this on one of CC's threads as a possible response to this situation:

Shows there are plans in place when things happen.
It would be much easier with a passport.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by insureman View Post
Cahill's statement says the ship should arrive in Mobile on Thursday and that it will allow for less complicated re-entry for passengers without passports.

This seems to contradict your subject line. This seems to support the idea that you don't need a passport. The odds of this happing are very remote...and if it does happen, there are provisions for it.

OTOH, I personally love my passport and would never leave the United States without it!
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
insureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
This seems to contradict your subject line. This seems to support the idea that you don't need a passport. The odds of this happing are very remote...and if it does happen, there are provisions for it.

OTOH, I personally love my passport and would never leave the United States without it!
If the ship didn't drift so far north from where they originally went dead in the water it would have been a different outcome. Of course the odds are low that this scenario would happen again but I would be more concerned as a family if one of us became ill and had to fly back to the US and didn't have a passport. I feel the the same about my passport
Old 02-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

What I take from this and other scenarios is that they are stressful enough in and of themselves without adding the stress of trying to acquire a passport in case of an emergency in a foreign country. I wouldn't travel without mine for sure!
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: