Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #211
5boyz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post
I asked this on another thread and no one answered. I would like to know how the rack rate is over priced? Perhaps it is where I am from but doing business trips and living in places like NYC... I do not see their rack rate as being over priced.

Value is around $90 a night. Even not taking into account the $120 rt for transfers that isn't over priced. Yes, if I want to find a Super 8 or a Red Roof Inn in a questionable part of town I can find a rate of $75/night.

For moderate at $200 a night, still not over priced. My 2-3 star hotel corporate rate in most places we have locations is between $125-$170 per night. A decent night in Chicago or NYC is $300 a night for a bed and a chair in a safe part of town.

Deluxe? Probably over priced until you take into account the dining options, child care options and transportation.

Why do people believe are these over priced?

Stacy
Have not gone past this post so I am sure someone corrected you...they are that on off season...for me to go in July they are $148 weeknights and $173. weekends!!!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #212
g3pak
DIS Veteran

I LOVE Disney discounts- we have been the last 3 Septembers with FD. I hate to see the discounts fade away. That said, I realize that Disney has people working for them that know how to get the most money out of us. Don't forget- Disney is a corporation and their goal is to make the most money they can. Yes, we buy into what they sell- they exist to make our dreams come true, etc, etc, (again, I LOVE Disney) but they would not be doing these things if they did not make money doing it. Think of Disney as the Matrix and they have several Oracles working- they know us better than we know ourselves and know how to get us to open our wallets.

I didn't think about it until reading this thread: perhaps us U.S. folks get less discounts because of the DVC. Who is more likely to buy into the DVC? Someone from South Carolina or someone from Canada? When I hear people justify investing in the DVC, they always say "Financially it makes sense because I get a better place for the same amount of money." If the best deals for Americans aren't that great, then the DVC looks better and better.

Not sure if that makes sense, but that is my 2 cents.
g3pak is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #213
hollygolitely93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5boyz View Post
Have not gone past this post so I am sure someone corrected you...they are that on off season...for me to go in July they are $148 weeknights and $173. weekends!!!!!
Travel weekly and to NYC often...never paid more than 300 for a luxury hotel in NYC and in LA, Chicago, Dallas it is usually under 200 for luxury...with corporate rates. 500 for Polynesian or grand Floridian during regular fall season is well, pretty high. But, they get it! So...still it is high...
Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #214
Rileyf
Earning My Ears

Quote:
GEEZ. I have never checked the price on the values we always stay deluxe, but that is really overpriced. Have you considered staying offsite like Bonnet Creek. I have never tried it, but I have read great things about it. It's where we will probably stay when I get sick of Disney prices.
Rileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #215
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Why do I need to be corrected? Of course that is in off season, end of September actually. High season is $173 and that's high? Right now in May, the lowest 3 star hotel in NYC is $174 per night and does not include a pool, airport shuttle or parking. That is even looking at Hotwire (not travelocity or expedia). Chicago for the same time period is $160 per night.

And if you chose to go in high summer in Chicago, current prices are $190 per night (for a Doubletree of all places) and $259 for the Hyatt Regency. July in NYC the Econo Lodge is $165 and the Sheraton is $225.

Now, that being said the Deluxes are way over priced. When I can stay at the Waldorf in July in NYC for $299 per night or the Conrad for $314... I am hard pressed to pay $500 for the Contemporary or the Grand Floridian.

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #216
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Why do I need to be corrected? Of course that is in off season, end of September actually. High season is $173 and that's high? Right now in May, the lowest 3 star hotel in NYC is $174 per night and does not include a pool, airport shuttle or parking. That is even looking at Hotwire (not travelocity or expedia). Chicago for the same time period is $160 per night.

And if you chose to go in high summer in Chicago, current prices are $190 per night (for a Doubletree of all places) and $259 for the Hyatt Regency. July in NYC the Econo Lodge is $165 and the Sheraton is $225.

Now, that being said the Deluxes are way over priced. When I can stay at the Waldorf in July in NYC for $299 per night or the Conrad for $314... I am hard pressed to pay $500 for the Contemporary or the Grand Floridian.

Stacy
My two cents on the matter is that the value resorts are not the equivalent of a Hyatt Regency in NYC or probably any 3 star hotel in NYC. In fairness, I've never stayed at a value but the theming looks awesome! I travel to NYC all the time and you are right that hotels are extremely expensive but there is a lot of competition and not a lot of other options for travelers. Plus outside of hotel costs you can vacation in NYC fairly cheaply. The subway is easy around town transportation and even taxis are relatively cheap for places you can't just walk to. Also, while there are many, many expensive places to dine in the city there are just as many cheap places to find really, really good food. The major attractions like Statute of Liberty are pretty cheap. With a city pass you can see a lot for a decent price.

Now at WDW almost everything is ridiculously priced and there are a lot of comparable hotel options nearby for much cheaper. So...in the end I think there is some validity to the argument that the values are overpriced when looking at the whole vacation experience than just looking at room A in one city and room B in another city.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #217
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbean View Post
You went through exactly what I'm going through. I'm looking to go the first week in December and I will need to make my mind up soon if I'm going to risk it and hope for free dining or some other kind of discount or rent points for DVC. Apparently December is a really popular time for DVC too so I may be SOL for that already.
1st two weeks book quickly for DVC since the points requirements are a bit lower. Note: i have no points to rent, nor is this a soliciation to do so but when checking for my own dates in June (which are sold out for resorts i'm willing to book) I checked the 1st week of Dec as to availability at my home resorts (WL and BW) for a studio. As expected, currently there were only a few days at each for the week. OKW and SSR especially may still have openings, best way is to commit and then request a quote on rental board to see what's out there. Good luck

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #218
5boyz
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Stacy
Ok maybe not corrected! I was only saying not all the time are they that price . I should have read thru before I said anything..
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #219
5boyz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyf View Post
GEEZ. I have never checked the price on the values we always stay deluxe, but that is really overpriced. Have you considered staying offsite like Bonnet Creek. I have never tried it, but I have read great things about it. It's where we will probably stay when I get sick of Disney prices.
We have actually stayed at Bonnet Creek. It is beautifu and much bigger for a lower price but there were things we didnt like about it. Thanks for the suggestion though!!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #220
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22

My two cents on the matter is that the value resorts are not the equivalent of a Hyatt Regency in NYC or probably any 3 star hotel in NYC. In fairness, I've never stayed at a value but the theming looks awesome! I travel to NYC all the time and you are right that hotels are extremely expensive but there is a lot of competition and not a lot of other options for travelers. Plus outside of hotel costs you can vacation in NYC fairly cheaply. The subway is easy around town transportation and even taxis are relatively cheap for places you can't just walk to.
Stay at ASMo and then go to the Apple Hotel on 38th street that bills itself as 3.5 stars and compare. The Apple used to be a Super 8. They laid marble in the entryway and changed the color of the bedspreads and went from $85 a night in November to $360 a night.

NYC as a destination is great and cheaper overall than Disney. All day subway pass is like 7$ and all week was like 28$. Things like Soho and the village are free entertainment. What kills you are paid entertainment.... $16 for a movie or more. The tiered theater in times square was great. I saw the mummy returns twice in a row because I went to the bathroom and misses Evie being killed.

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #221
black562
Dept of Redundancy Dept

I think the promo will mirror last fall's bounceback, with a shortened window of dates available. Leaving values excluded completely is a great way to kill occupancy at all their value resorts. Plus Disney has to know that many people have booked expecting a free dining.

Also, there have been CMs saying that a discount is coming for fall, but not released yet. The writing is on the wall and I'm predicting things will be very similar to last year with possibly a shorter date window.
| 1998 - Polynesian | 1999 - All Star Music | 2000 - Riverside | 2001 - All Star Music
2002 - All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music | 2003 - Riverside | 2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Music, Riverside, All Star Sports, Pop Century
| 2007 - Pop Century | 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Dolphin, Pop Century | 2010 - Riverside | 2012 - All Star Music | 2013 - Coronado Springs
2014 - Coronado Springs

black562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #222
Don Disney
DIS Veteran

Danny has been spot-on for years....It's not that we are"entitled"to discounts,but that's what has been helping us get there for the last 5 years,and we are thankful we were able to have those wonderful vacations;but if they cut out the values,we will more than likely stay off property,or even,worst case scenario,go somewhere else. We LOVE WDW,but with prices rising like they have been over the last 5 years or so,we may have to be satisfied looking at the 1000's of pictures from previous trips for our Disney Fix!I don't know if we'll be making a trip anytime soon without some kind of discount.
Don Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #223
momof2intx
DIS Veteran

I had to chime in here. I am finding that compared to our past trips, prices this year just seem ridiculous. I've always put off going to Hawaii because of the "price" -- mostly for airfare. But, we finally went last year. Paid $2500 for 4 airline tickets, approx $1000 for accommodations and about $1700 spending money for 5 days.
This year...without any discount to stay at a MOD would run us roughly $2500 with 5 day base tickets...and we paid $1450 for airfare. Before spending money for the week...we're already over what we paid for Hawaii. This might be our last trip for a while...especially if there is no summer offer.
Last trip we stayed at AKL for less than what it is going to cost us for CBR this year. With one kid heading into high school and the other a 7th grader....sports...drivers ed....etc...and all the other expenses that come with having teens....I see Disney as a distant memory after this year if rates continue to climb!

1989-1990 AP Holder, 5/1994- offsite, 10/2002 - Disneyland, 5/2003- Buena Vista Palace, 5/2005-Hyatt Grand Cypress, 5/2006- Universal Studios,7/2007- POP , 2/2009 - CBR , 7/2009 POR, 6/2011, AKL, 6/2013 - CBR!!!

momof2intx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #224
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Rates are climbing because people are paying If someone can't afford it this year you bet they'll be saving for next year or the year after.In the meantime new visitors will arrive and pay the going rate or folks who just love WDW and will give up OTHER THINGS to go . Bottom line is Disney knows what it's doing when it comes to making money. Great for stockholders

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #225
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2intx
I had to chime in here. I am finding that compared to our past trips, prices this year just seem ridiculous. I've always put off going to Hawaii because of the "price" -- mostly for airfare. But, we finally went last year. Paid $2500 for 4 airline tickets, approx $1000 for accommodations and about $1700 spending money for 5 days.
This year...without any discount to stay at a MOD would run us roughly $2500 with 5 day base tickets...and we paid $1450 for airfare. Before spending money for the week...we're already over what we paid for Hawaii. This might be our last trip for a while...especially if there is no summer offer.
Last trip we stayed at AKL for less than what it is going to cost us for CBR this year. With one kid heading into high school and the other a 7th grader....sports...drivers ed....etc...and all the other expenses that come with having teens....I see Disney as a distant memory after this year if rates continue to climb!
The rates are expensive and perhaps after our upcoming trip we will go somewhere else in the US or Hawaii, which likely will work out cheaper.

Disneyland Paris is far, far worse expense wise- a three night trip we were quoted about $4500- for one room and park tickets for five people but no food or transport. Ouch. WDW seems like a bargain compared to that!

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: