Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

1. Though unpopular with some folks, you can consider a "leash" for your youngest. Sometimes peace of mind is worth the judgey looks from strangers.

2. Each parent is tasked with a child each day so you only have one to look after and can rely on your partner to look after the other. Easier to watch one than look for 2.

3. Like pps said, teach you kids what to do if they get lost. This is a reason I have picked up some pins and a couple of lanyards because I figured I can teach them to identify a CM much more easily if they are always looking for one to trade with! Make sure they have your cell phone numbers (safety tats, necklace, bracelet, sharpie) and where to show them to someone. I think the picture idea (family picture) is a great idea and I'd try to have one that shows you as you would look in the parks (i.e. a more relaxed family pic).

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )

Last edited by Pesky; 02-12-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
Rubygoose
Everybody's got a laughing place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
Also note, the CM that finds the child will stay with the child until they are delivered to the Child Center. They will also stay in the area where the child was found for 10-15 mins looking for parents. They will usually call for a lead who will supervise. It is actually very interesting to see just how far they take looking before taking a child to the Lost Parent's center.

We write our phone numbers on the kids' upper arms. We threaten to do it to my mom also....

Also, teach your child the number WITH the area code. We've had children come up to us with their number, but no area code....
I saw some CM's dealing with a lost little boy once near Soaring. I think he was probably 2 or 3 years old. He wouldn't talk to the woman, so she brought him over to a male CM, hoping he would talk to him. I'm not sure what happened after that. Great ideas from everyone about teaching your kids to go up to a CM and say "I'm lost." I think I'll probably try to get my kids to remember to tell the CM what ride we were just on or where we ate. Maybe they should memorize the hotel name and room number? When people ask DD where she's from, she doesn't say Canada, she always tells them our street address! So I think she could remember a hotel room number pretty easily. I wonder if that would be useful? We have a hard last name to pronounce/spell, so it might be hard for the kids to get that info over to a CM.
Rubygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #18
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

We have worn matching colors like red shirts and it does help a lot. For the child in my group that cannot find a cast member and say she is lost I assign myself solely to her and this has worked well. Glow necklaces at night are good too.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
Mel522
DIS Veteran

When we went, we used the Safety Tats and set up a Google Voice number. We attached all of our cell phone numbers to the Google number so if the number was called all of our cell phones would ring. Not only would it help insure someone answered the phone, but also would alert everyone in our party that there was a problem since we often split up.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
Rubygoose
Everybody's got a laughing place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel522 View Post
When we went, we used the Safety Tats and set up a Google Voice number. We attached all of our cell phone numbers to the Google number so if the number was called all of our cell phones would ring. Not only would it help insure someone answered the phone, but also would alert everyone in our party that there was a problem since we often split up.
Never heard of a "google voice number". I'm going to look into that. That's a great tip!
Rubygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #21
Carolynleanne
Canadian Disney mom

[QUOTE=Pesky;47484481]1. Though unpopular with some folks, you can consider a "leash" for your youngest. Sometimes pieces of mind is worth the judgey looks from strangers.

I'm totally considering this for my next trip as we'll have a 1 year old and a no fear 2 year old. Hubby doesn't want to though haha. At that young of an age though they have NO concept of danger or 'find a cast member'

Next trip: December 2015
May 2014 Disneyland
March 2012 - Disneyland
January 2010 - DisneyWorld
March 2007 - Disneyland
September 2004 - Disneyland
April 2001 - Disneyland
September 1997 - Disneyland
October 1992 - Disneyland
-------
Blogging about life as a stay at home mom, reviewing great family friendly products and talking about my love of Disney.

http://www.momentsinmommyland.com/
Carolynleanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #22
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

We are definitely doing the matching-ish shirts every day to help everyone stay together too. You can see them in my pre-trip report below! (I'm not excited, right? We will probably be leaving 2 weeks from TODAY!)

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip)) Quick one-day DL only trip with my 9 month-old and friends - 9/11/14!!
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #23
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer

I bought a little beaded bracelet for our DS, with our phone number on it. I'm also going to write it on a label to go on the inside of his shirt or write it on him somewhere in sharpie, just in case the bracelet comes off (it shouldn't, but you never know).

We've been working on him memorizing our phone number, too. Other than that, like others have said, we'll teach him to find a Mommy with kids or a CM.

I wish we could still use the leash on him (I have no problem with it; it's hard on their little arms and hands to constantly have to hold someone's hand, and it gives them a little bit of perceived freedom, as well; not to mention my peace of mind). Unfortunately he's outgrown his monkey backpack leash. I wonder if they make them any bigger... Hmmm.

Upcoming: Dec. 2013

CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmama View Post
Is this true currently at DLR? Anyone here with a friend or family CM that can clarify? This seems completely insane to me. There is, without a doubt, SOME way to make outside phone calls and when the issue is a lost child it seems totally crazy that a CM wouldn't find a way to use the most obvious solution if the child has a phone number on them.

We always write our cell on their arm with a sharpie or other pen as mentioned above.
You will likely be in lost child area before they will be making a phone call. I'm sure the switchboard can get an outside line, but their protocol doesn't include calling you. More like if they find an abandoned kid and can't find a parent or report of a missing kid for awhile they may try and call. People rely on the phone numbers and don't realize that Disney isn't going to call you and say "meet your kid by Peter Pan".

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #25
MateasMom
We're Mimis junkies
I'm not even remotely goth...

My kids are teens now, but when thy were little I would sharpie my cell number on their arm, and always taught them (Disneyland or not) that you should go to a mom with kids. Moms with kids know what kids need, they have cell phones, and they'll be able to help you get back to me.
MateasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #26
acpalmer
Mouseketeer

I don't mean to harp on this, but you really should have your kids find a Cast Member rather than a stranger who appears to be a "mom with kids" (and why does no one ever mention a dad with kids--both men and women can be either trustworthy or not, just because a woman is somewhere with kids doesn't mean she's a good person). I'd much rather my kids talk to a Disney employee than a stranger and the CMs are trained on what to do when a child has lost their parents.

acpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #27
SweetAlex
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acpalmer View Post
I don't mean to harp on this, but you really should have your kids find a Cast Member rather than a stranger who appears to be a "mom with kids" (and why does no one ever mention a dad with kids--both men and women can be either trustworthy or not, just because a woman is somewhere with kids doesn't mean she's a good person). I'd much rather my kids talk to a Disney employee than a stranger and the CMs are trained on what to do when a child has lost their parents.
Lol... yes, a dad with kids is likely just as safe but both my girls are much more comfortable approaching a mom. Plus, moms are usually better at making kids feel better... it's our gift

To clarify, a mom with kids is option B. In Disneyland, it really isn't an issue as there are CMs everywhere you look but in other places, employees aren't always as easy to find (thinking walking down a busy street in a large city). Rather than wandering around getting more lost trying to find an elusive employee, it's best to flag down someone you can almost guarantee is safe... and for us, that means someone else with kids as they can empathize and know what both the child and the parent are going through and know what to do to calm the child down... hopefully .

Oh, and my dh would have no idea what to do with a strange child who walked up to him saying he was lost. Well, he would know what to do, technically, but the last thing he would want is to be walking around with a missing child. It's really sad but people view a strange man with a lost child completely different than a strange mom with a lost child.

Last edited by SweetAlex; 02-12-2013 at 04:28 PM.
SweetAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #28
sweethannah
Rebel Spy, 3 times in a row!

Besides the comments here, taking a photo of your kids each day so you ( and the CMs ) know what she or he is wearing is helpful.
The only confusing aspect of things is that CMs generally wear different outfits. It's not like at Walmart and you can tell your kids to look for somebody wearing a blue vest. I told DD to go into a store and ask anybody that was working behind the counters if she was unsure just who exactly the cast members were. Or look for the specific CM name tag which you can do on your first day they and if you are there for several days, repeat the lesson each day as little ones memories are well, little.
sweethannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #29
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetAlex View Post
Lol... yes, a dad with kids is likely just as safe but both my girls are much more comfortable approaching a mom. Plus, moms are usually better at making kids feel better... it's our gift

To clarify, a mom with kids is option B. In Disneyland, it really isn't an issue as there are CMs everywhere you look but in other places, employees aren't always as easy to find (thinking walking down a busy street in a large city). Rather than wandering around getting more lost trying to find an elusive employee, it's best to flag down someone you can almost guarantee is safe... and for us, that means someone else with kids as they can sympathize and know what both the child and the parent are going through and know what to do to calm the child down... hopefully .

Oh, and my dh would have no idea what to do with a strange child who walked up to him saying he was lost. Well, he would know what to do, technically, but the last thing he would want is to be walking around with a missing child. It's really sad but people view a strange man with a lost child completely different than a strange mom with a lost child.

Upcoming: Dec. 2013

CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #30
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

I 2nd the suggestion of finding a mom with kids. This is what the book "Protecting the Gift" suggests. You can teach the concept to even toddlers and I have done it with my kids.
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: