Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
GR8LSUFAN
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18

Difference b/t mod & deluxe

What is the difference between these types of accomodations, besides the price. Does the deluxe offer more, if so what is the "more" that is offered?

Thx!
GR8LSUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,533

Each resort has its specific perks, but in general a Deluxe resort gets you interior hallways, rooms with balconies, better restaurants in the resort, and in general better location options, which lead to easier transportation. Like being on the Monorail loop, having boats to MK, or being within walking distance to Epcot and HS.

Then the next decision is which Deluxe resort, since their prices vary. Then there's whether to pay for a better view at the Deluxe resort. Oh, and finally there's Club level... Each step has its perks and is priced accordingly.

For us we enjoy getting a standard view room at one of the more economical Deluxe resorts, but your selections may vary. Enjoy!
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran
 
roydavid7771's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 683

In short....

Deluxes:

1. Rooms open out into interior hallways, as opposed to opening out directly to the outside. (To be fair, some rooms at AoA do as well)

2. Sit Down restaurants abound. Deluxes also usually have some form of quick service dining, but nothing like the food courts that you see at the moderates.

3. With the exception of AKL, deluxes have some form of alternate transportation other than buses to one or more of the theme parks (ferry, water taxi, monorail).

4. Complete room service.


Moderates:

1. Rooms open up right to the outside.

2. Expansive food courts with limited, if any, sit down table service restaurants.

3. Not as close in proximity to the main theme parks, so buses are usually the norm. Expect longer ommute times to the parks.

4. Pizza delivery to your room, but that's about it.
__________________



2014: Coronado Springs (WDW Marathon Weekend)
2013: Port Orleans Riverside (WDW Marathon Weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club Villas (Nephew's 1st Visit)
2012: Boardwalk Villas (Our 1st DVC Stay!)
2011: Beach Club, Swan (Honeymoon!)
2010: Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge
2009: Swan
1989: Marriott Orlando World Center
1980: Offsite
1978: Offsite
roydavid7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
EagleScout
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 476

Also, every deluxe has access to a gym (sometimes share with adjacent walking distance sister property), but only one mod (csr) has a gym.
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
abner1776
DIS Veteran
 
abner1776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West of Beantown
Posts: 1,003

All deluxe resorts, whether they be DVC resorts or regular deluxe resorts, are directly connected to either one of the 4 parks or DTD. In this way, transportation to the parks or DTD is easier and faster at least with respect to that one park.

Of course if you are staying at AKL and want to get to MK, your transportation options are the same as if you were staying at CBR or POP.

In many of the deluxe resorts, the lobby areas are quite spectacular and they can be decorated very beautifully depending on the time of year.
__________________
abner1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,161

In addition to everything else that has been posted, the deluxe rooms are larger with most of them having a daybed. The rooms at WL and AKL are slightly larger than the mods, with the other deluxes being considerably larger (with the Poly and CR being the largest). Also, the deluxe resorts (with the exception of WL and AKL) accommodate 5 + 1 under the age of 3 in a standard room.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
IbeAbitGOOFY
Dis Dad #736
Half of it would end up on my face and hands
 
IbeAbitGOOFY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 244

DW and I have stayed at CSR, WL and BLT. Of the three, WL was our absolute favorite. As others have stated, the deluxe resorts have the interior hallways, “better” food options, and easier access to parks using Disney transportation. Outside of cost, the big factor for us was the Disney “WOW” factor at WL. Don’t get me wrong, all three resorts were great, but we really loved WL. CSR honestly just felt like another hotel. In all fairness, it’s a convention hotel and that may have had something to do with it. But, we loved the theme of the WL, the balconies and most of all, the boat to the MK.
__________________
Me DW (misstheworld) DS
IbeAbitGOOFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!
 
hiwaygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: a long long way from home
Posts: 15,794

IMO the biggest (and maybe most "significant") difference is the one that comes with all "real estate" questions: location, Location, LOCATION!

If you are relying on Disney transportation for your visit, there is little that beats the deluxes when it comes to transportation. As other posters have noted, most of them are close to a park or have multiple modes of transportation not just busses.

IMO they tend to be the more "magical" of the resorts because Disney tends to up the wow factor to help justify the higher costs of staying there. I think the customer service is a bit better as well.
__________________
2005 - Boardwalk club level - Disney Wedding
2008 - Polynesian club level- Thank you David!!

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 10,000

I would look at the Accommodation Sections on Allears.net they have many photos and videos of the different resorts and fact sheet. Looking at the photos, the differences should be apparent.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Andrew015
WL Guru
 
Andrew015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: OH... IO
Posts: 1,041

One of the things that has been alluded to by previous posters, but not really expounded upon in great detail is that of resort theming. Goofy referred to it as the “Wow Factor” experienced at the WL. This is something that is very subjective and will vary from resort to resort and person to person. To me, this is the most critical factor in determining where I stay, even more so than price. In my opinion, no resort provides better theming or “wow factor” than does the WL. From the moment you pull up to the main entrance, to the time you walk through the front doors into the breath-taking lobby, you are constantly being “wowed”. The artwork, the native-American inspired chandeliers, the landscaping, the bubbling spring that turns into a rushing river and later a waterfall into the pool, the quiet walkways that truly make you feel like you are in the peace and quiet of the Northwest wilderness… Did I mention there’s a geyser in the back overlooking Bay Lake? All of the details found in every nook and cranny of the resort all culminate together to provide you with an experience unlike anything you’ve ever experienced at any other “hotel”. This isn’t your average Motel 6, but they will leave the light on for you.

Other folks feel the same way about the Poly, AKL, BW, YC/BC, etc. However, even some feel this way about All Star sports, if being surrounded by supersized sports equipment is your thing. Different strokes for different folks. Disney makes an effort to theme every single resort on property from the values to the deluxes. Some might register with you better than others. Generally speaking, I think it’s fair to say that the Deluxe resorts get a little more attention put into the theming than do the Values. For many people, they’re so consumed with the parks, they are simply using the resorts as a place to rest their heads at night. If this represents you, theming is not going to be as critical to this type of Disney traveler, and they’d probably rather save their money and put it towards the parks. For me, that’s not the case. From the moment I cross the threshold onto Disney property, I need to be transcended from reality. Once I enter the WL, it helps to ensure that I never return until it’s time to check out and venture back to MCO.

Most are very quick to discuss price, restaurants, transportation, accommodations, room size, etc. when discussing resort selection. While these are all important criteria, they rank second in my book to resort theming.
__________________
Andrew015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
pl4bby
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229

My big thing Is I hate exterior doors which is why I never stay mod. Too motel like for me. I like being interior. I love the locations of deluxe hotels, pools, ts, ambience, smells in the lobby.
pl4bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
Andrew015
WL Guru
 
Andrew015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: OH... IO
Posts: 1,041

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl4bby
I love the locations of deluxe hotels, pools, ts, ambience, smells in the lobby.
That's an excellent observation... Smells in the lobby! I would have to say that the Poly wins this category hands down. Someone should start a poll for "favorite lobby smell". Perhaps I'll take the lead on that!
__________________
Andrew015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
pl4bby
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew015

That's an excellent observation... Smells in the lobby! I would have to say that the Poly wins this category hands down. Someone should start a poll for "favorite lobby smell". Perhaps I'll take the lead on that!
Mine is BC love it
pl4bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
IbeAbitGOOFY
Dis Dad #736
Half of it would end up on my face and hands
 
IbeAbitGOOFY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew015 View Post
One of the things that has been alluded to by previous posters, but not really expounded upon in great detail is that of resort theming. Goofy referred to it as the “Wow Factor” experienced at the WL. This is something that is very subjective and will vary from resort to resort and person to person. To me, this is the most critical factor in determining where I stay, even more so than price. In my opinion, no resort provides better theming or “wow factor” than does the WL. From the moment you pull up to the main entrance, to the time you walk through the front doors into the breath-taking lobby, you are constantly being “wowed”. The artwork, the native-American inspired chandeliers, the landscaping, the bubbling spring that turns into a rushing river and later a waterfall into the pool, the quiet walkways that truly make you feel like you are in the peace and quiet of the Northwest wilderness… Did I mention there’s a geyser in the back overlooking Bay Lake? All of the details found in every nook and cranny of the resort all culminate together to provide you with an experience unlike anything you’ve ever experienced at any other “hotel”. This isn’t your average Motel 6, but they will leave the light on for you.

Other folks feel the same way about the Poly, AKL, BW, YC/BC, etc. However, even some feel this way about All Star sports, if being surrounded by supersized sports equipment is your thing. Different strokes for different folks. Disney makes an effort to theme every single resort on property from the values to the deluxes. Some might register with you better than others. Generally speaking, I think it’s fair to say that the Deluxe resorts get a little more attention put into the theming than do the Values. For many people, they’re so consumed with the parks, they are simply using the resorts as a place to rest their heads at night. If this represents you, theming is not going to be as critical to this type of Disney traveler, and they’d probably rather save their money and put it towards the parks. For me, that’s not the case. From the moment I cross the threshold onto Disney property, I need to be transcended from reality. Once I enter the WL, it helps to ensure that I never return until it’s time to check out and venture back to MCO.

Most are very quick to discuss price, restaurants, transportation, accommodations, room size, etc. when discussing resort selection. While these are all important criteria, they rank second in my book to resort theming.
Andrew - very well put and thank you for expanding upon my thought. As the OP mentioned, they wanted input based on factors other than price. Outside of price, like you said, I want a resort that will allow me to transcend me from reality. While my DW and loved CSR, it just didn't do it the same way WL did.
__________________
Me DW (misstheworld) DS
IbeAbitGOOFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
dminnie
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 554

I have just stayed at Moderate resorts. Is there a big difference in the pools at the deluxe resorts compared to Moderates? I know BC has a really great pool that is almost like a water park, but what about the other deluxe resorts?
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.