Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #16
Weedy
DIS Veteran

It has happened on the Magic, all was handled well.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=500
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
Greatfalls
Mouseketeer

I'll never sail Carnival. I was on the Wonder in August 2009 when some drunk guy jumped off the Carnival ship. They were unable to get their rescue boat off the ship, so the Wonder had to pull up along side and rescue him.
Greatfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
Tink3815
Mouseketeer

I have sailed Carnival many times and Disney once. Disney standards are much higher (which matches the higher the price of the cruise). That being said, I will no longer sail Carnival due to numerous issues on my last 2 cruises with them.Trying to get my DH to go with Disney again.( he says too many kids)
The situation that is happening onboard, could happen to any cruise lines. It's how the lines reacts to the crisis that makes the difference. From reading other cruise boards, Carinval seems to be handling it in their usual sub standard way.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #19
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

Not nervous about cruising, since anything can happen at any time that we cannot prepare for anyway. When on the Magic a week ago, we learned that she has twice as many life boats than passengers on board. Just my 2 cents

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

No, but it makes me think twice about bringing some snacks, just no high fiber ones! Especially if I were to sail Carnival again. I got to go twice last year because I went on CCL the second time, it was less than half the price of DCL. That said it was of lesser value too, but still better than being at home!

I have thought about bringing specific things I like to snack on but then think I am crazy because there is so much to eat on the ship. Now that idea is not so far fetched, I can always carry them back off when everything does fine!
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014, CCL Liberty Oct 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #21
Bouldering
Earning My Ears

Not nervous just excited about our first cruise.

DH Me DD (12) DS (19)
Bouldering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post

this article leaves out some of the detail that makes it clear how very careful DCL is in an emergency situation.

When the fire broke out, the captain immediately had the passengers muster on deck, in their life jackets, so that he would know exactly where they all were and so that they would be ready for an immediate abandon ship order...(he explained that in the theater on the last night)...

and at the same time he put out a mayday call so that other ships in the area would come close to be ready for that abandon ship order.

In the end, the passengers only had the inconvenience of an hour or two out on deck in the middle of the night...
but if things had taken a turn for the worse, that captain had made sure that everything was in place to get everyone off the ship as quickly as possible.

That incident made it clear to me how safety conscious DCL is.

I remember that incident really really well as we sailed not long after that (on our first DCL cruise) .
When it happened, it made me feel more secure, not less about cruising with DCL.

Last edited by disneyholic family; 02-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post

This was really nothing more then a smoky insulation melting incident. Little or no flame.

Yet, as noted above, all safety precuations were taken to ensure passigners safety.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

Thanks everyone! We'll still be cruising and I AM very excited about it. I guess it really doesn't do any good to worry about what could happen when it's more than likely that nothing bad WILL happen.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: