Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #31
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Why can't you ship wine to FL?
It's against the law to ship wine/alcohol into certain states. FL happens to be one of them. You have to have a retail alcohol license to ship into the state. USPS will not ship wine at all. UPS and Fed Ex will, but you have to show license in order to do so. Only option is, as previous poster noted, ship it as luggage with you, but the hassle of having to wait around and check luggage isn't worth it for us since I'm sure we can find SOMETHING in Miami
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #32
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
You are supposed to have a license to ship wine.

If you bring it to UPS and tell them its wine they will usually refuse to ship it. You have to lie and tell them its olive oil if you want them to ship. Some have said that this is risky and they may confiscate the shipment.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #33
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
It's against the law to ship wine/alcohol into certain states. FL happens to be one of them. You have to have a retail alcohol license to ship into the state.
But olive oil is ok to ship.

J
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #34
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
It's against the law to ship wine/alcohol into certain states. FL happens to be one of them. You have to have a retail alcohol license to ship into the state. USPS will not ship wine at all. UPS and Fed Ex will, but you have to show license in order to do so. Only option is, as previous poster noted, ship it as luggage with you, but the hassle of having to wait around and check luggage isn't worth it for us since I'm sure we can find SOMETHING in Miami
I didn't know that. Thanks.

I guess that takes the bottle of wine off the Christmas list for my relatives.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #35
noriega
Earning My Ears

I found a copy of that wine line and worked my way backwards. If you really like certain wines then you can do a little of both.

For example, a bottle of the Robert Mondovi Reserve Napa Valley California was $76 on-board, I found it at Costco for $20. So I didn’t mind paying an extra $20 cork fee because I was still saving $36.

If you really plan to celebrate (birthday/anniversary), the Dom Perignon is about $120 at Costco. If you have them uncork it at Palo, you will be saving about $85 bucks if you bring your own.

If you are not selective, then you can choose the Beringer White Zinfandel on-board for $27. Which is $8 at Costco, then you have to pay a cork fee of $20. Therefore, it is cheaper to order it on board so you don't have to lug it around.

It all depends on the person…
noriega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #36
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

In December, I was at my local UPS store. On the counter was a plastic bin containing an addressed box that was loosely wrapped in a plastic bag. The box was in a puddle of red wine. Apparently, a bottle broke in transit. Not a pretty sight.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #37
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
In December, I was at my local UPS store. On the counter was a plastic bin containing an addressed box that was loosely wrapped in a plastic bag. The box was in a puddle of red wine. Apparently, a bottle broke in transit. Not a pretty sight.

Woody
I am confident that this happens.

However, we have carried wine in our luggage successfully by placing it in the middle of the suitcase surrounded by clothes, and doubled bagged in 2 gallon bags. No breakage yet. Wish us that the luck continues!
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #38
Bunless
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
It's per bottle. However, I do not know if they will hold the bottle. Between my husband and I one bottle does not last long.
They will hold as many bottles as you want. If you come to dinner with a four different wines for each course? They will hold them all.

One year my girlfriend and I did this, I think we brought about 12 bottles for a 7 night cruise, and at least five of them followed us to dining every night. The best value was the port, we started it the first night and finished it the last... we even shared with others on occasion.

December '06 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
Fall '07 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1617056
February '08 Wilderness Lodge http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
January '09 Disneyland http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2075224
February/March '09 Grand Californian http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2134228
October 2009 Grand Californian, January 2010 Eastern Caribbean/Vero Beach, February 2011 Old Key West, October 2011 Food and Wine/Old Key West, February 2012 Aulani, July 2012 Alaska Cruise,
December 2012 Saratoga Springs, February 2013, Saratoga Springs, July 2013 Mediterranean Cruise
Bunless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #39
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
I am confident that this happens.

However, we have carried wine in our luggage successfully by placing it in the middle of the suitcase surrounded by clothes, and doubled bagged in 2 gallon bags. No breakage yet. Wish us that the luck continues!
There is also a baggie called a "wine diaper". It fits a bottle of wine and it is cushiony. BUT if the wine breaks, the whole bottle is soaked into the batting so it wouldn't spill on anything (hence the term diaper). Same idea as your zip locks but I worry about the glass shards using the zip locks. We rarely pack wine in our luggage...we just pack it in a wine box and we've been ok there too.

Just wanted to tell everyone about the wine diaper. I bought lots from wine.woot when they had them one time.

J
Old 01-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #40
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I plan on picking up a few bottles in Barcelona before our Med cruise.

Any suggestions for good wine shops in Barcelona? Or do their grocery stores/supermarkets carry a wide selection as they do in the US?

Thanks.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #41
mickeyhereicome
Mouseketeer

Box Wine

You can buy some really good box wine. Would this be ok to bring into MDR? How would they handle the cork fee (one box is equal to 4 bottles). Would the servers bring this around for us?
mickeyhereicome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #42
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

1 box = 1 corkage fee.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #43
libpetersen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunless

They will hold as many bottles as you want. If you come to dinner with a four different wines for each course? They will hold them all.

One year my girlfriend and I did this, I think we brought about 12 bottles for a 7 night cruise, and at least five of them followed us to dining every night. The best value was the port, we started it the first night and finished it the last... we even shared with others on occasion.

We took two bottles to Palo in the afternoon of our reservation, and asked that they be chilled appropriately. They did a wonderful job. We have never been charged corkage in Palo, only in the main dining rooms.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #44
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by libpetersen View Post
We took two bottles to Palo in the afternoon of our reservation, and asked that they be chilled appropriately. They did a wonderful job. We have never been charged corkage in Palo, only in the main dining rooms.
I had the reverse experience. I was charged corkage at Palo, but the other times we ate dinner in the main dining room and they charged me corkage only once. I never knew they weren't charging me corkage until I reviewed my final room charges.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #45
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's against the law to ship to private residence; can only ship to a wine distributor.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: