Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
scarlett24
Dreamin' of Disney

Magen's Bay

We will be going on a 7 nt Eastern Caribbean with our 3 kids, ages 3, 6 & 9 in May. We would like to go to Magen's Bay while in St. Thomas. Should we do the excursion through DCL or just grab a taxi and go over? Does DCL take you over on a bus? Just worried about taking a cab with the little ones, as we will not have their car seats with us.
December 2007 Wilderness Lodge

December 2008 Caribbean Beach Resort
May 2010 Polynesian
May 2012 Polynesian
May 2013 Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy-our first cruise! Poly & Yacht and Beach Club
April 2014 Polynesian

scarlett24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
jenpink
Mouseketeer

Just did Magen's Bay on my own last month with my 10 year old daughter. We just got off the ship as soon as possible and walked up the street to where the "cabs" were. We just asked directions as we went along and had no problem at all. The "cabs" are vans or small buses and they take multiple groups to places around the island. We were at Magen's Bay within 30 minutes of getting off the ship. We had the beach to ourselves for the first hour or so and had our choice of location. It got very crowded by the time all of the organized excursions arrived. We would definitely do it on our own again, more freedom. By the way, if you are interested in "Udder Delite", an island dairy and ice cream shop, the "cabs" will drop you off there and have the next one pick you up. We did this as an added adventure. Enjoy your trip.
jenpink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
snorder
Earning My Ears

We have been to Megan's Bay twice on other cruise lines. I think after taking the last one, we'd just take a taxi. There are plenty of them. If worried about the car seat... Remember you won't have one on the excursion transportation either! The ride over isn't too long either. It's a beautiful beach!
snorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
scarlett24
Dreamin' of Disney

Thanks so much for your quick replies-very helpful.
December 2007 Wilderness Lodge

December 2008 Caribbean Beach Resort
May 2010 Polynesian
May 2012 Polynesian
May 2013 Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy-our first cruise! Poly & Yacht and Beach Club
April 2014 Polynesian

scarlett24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

When we took the DCL excursion to Magen's Bay in March 2011, the operator used open-air "buses" with rows of seating in the back. They were basically the same type of trucks used for other taxi transportation on the island. It was a wild ride from port up and over to the Magen's Bay beach.

Personally I prefer using DCL for my excursions, but like the previous posters are saying, I can see how taking your own taxi instead would basically be similar to the transportation we got.

By comparison the operator of the DCL excursion to Orient Beach on St. Martin used a motor coach bus and it was much more comfortable and efficient.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: