Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #136
padawans
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,085

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post
I'd offer an enthusiastic caution here about making any generalizations about relative affordability of anything for anyone based solely on incomes relative to national averages.

A $50K income in Oklahoma, for example, goes a heck of a lot farther than $50K in, say, New York or California. So the discretionary income anyone else has isn't always an apples-to-apples comparison.
You make a very good point. I live in AZ. We make less then our relatives in California, but we can afford 3 trips to WDW a year while they can barely afford a day trip to DL. Discretionary income does vary a lot from state to state.
padawans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #137
chabs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,018

Once upon a time when my kids were younger (say 6-8 years ago), we used to be able to fly from NY, stay at Disney All Stars for 10 nights with water park and more park hopper passes and free dining (tip included) for 2 adults and 2 kids for less than $2000 and very little out of pocket money. Now we can't even get out of NY for half that.
__________________
chabs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #138
shan136
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 220

I'm sorry if I am repeating any points that have already been mentioned, I read until page 6 then skipped ahead.

I agree that Disney price increases have not kept pace with the economy. We went for the first time in 2010 and stayed moderate (CBR), then in 2011 and stayed deluxe (BCV). I was shocked at the price of the rooms for October 2013 when I went to book our vacation this year. Even with the hope of a 30% discount, the room we are hoping to book is $100 per night MORE in 2013 than the room we booked during the same period in 2011.

I am chalking this up to the fact that Disney feels that their additions to MK along with the (slowly) rebounding economy will help them make up for smaller increases in previous years.

Luckily, this year we can swing it. Our child is still optimum "Disney age" so we are both willing and able to park our vacation dollars here. For us, I'm afraid Disney will price themselves out before our next return trip. We are already looking at future vacations in the Caribbean and Cruises that offer more than Disney for less money.

However, with that said, if you compare Disney with Atlantis, Disney wins hands down. If you include activities and merchandise, WDW offers a lot more for less money. I advise anyone when pricing out vacations to look at the total package, not just hotel, activity and food cost. With Disney we do get a lot, but if their price increases proportionately to the past two years the "deal" may no longer be worth it.
shan136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 AM   #139
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better
 
aubriee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East of Dallas
Posts: 14,811

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan136 View Post

I agree that Disney price increases have not kept pace with the economy. We went for the first time in 2010 and stayed moderate (CBR), then in 2011 and stayed deluxe (BCV). I was shocked at the price of the rooms for October 2013 when I went to book our vacation this year. Even with the hope of a 30% discount, the room we are hoping to book is $100 per night MORE in 2013 than the room we booked during the same period in 2011.

Luckily, this year we can swing it. Our child is still optimum "Disney age" so we are both willing and able to park our vacation dollars here. For us, I'm afraid Disney will price themselves out before our next return trip.

However, with that said, if you compare Disney with Atlantis, Disney wins hands down. If you include activities and merchandise, WDW offers a lot more for less money. I advise anyone when pricing out vacations to look at the total package, not just hotel, activity and food cost. With Disney we do get a lot, but if their price increases proportionately to the past two years the "deal" may no longer be worth it.
I agree, but think alot of Disney enthusiasts may find a way to still do Disney, but choose cheaper ways of doing it. I know we are. As an AP holder I go to WDW 4-6 times a year and usually stay at a moderate (occasionally deluxe if I could find a cheap enough discount). For our trip last Oct/Nov we chose to stay offsite for the first time ever and loved it. A coworker offered me a week at Westgate Town Center just a mile from the Disney gates for $450.00 ($64.00/night). No way could even a discounted value resort beat that, so we decided to give it try. As an AP holder we get free parking and we ate most dinners offsite. I was shocked at how much less we spent on meals (and got better food). Going several times a year, I seldom buy souvineers anymore. I just seldom see anything I want, but do enjoy running over to the outlet mall to see what I might find. For both our May and Nov trips this year, we'll be renting a one bedroom villa through a third party to stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We'll still physically be on property, with my AP will not have to pay for parking, eat most dinners much cheaper off property, and will get ALOT more space at ALOT nicer resort for ALOT less money. I can get a one bedroom at Bonnet Creek cheaper than I can even a discounted Value room (much less the moderates that I prefer). For my May trip I'll be using an old one day park ticket and Disney Reward points to buy a new AP, so my ticket for the next year won't cost me anything, parking will be free with my AP, I doubt if I'll be buying any souvineers, most dinner will be offsite, lunch will be CS or offsite, breakfast will be in the condo, and the one bedroom condo is costing us only $89.60 per night for ten nights, so even though we'll be down there for ten nights/eleven days, Disney will be getting very little of my money the next few trips.

Last edited by aubriee; 02-12-2013 at 05:01 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #140
Rileyf
Earning My Ears
 
Rileyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan136 View Post
I'm sorry if I am repeating any points that have already been mentioned, I read until page 6 then skipped ahead.

I agree that Disney price increases have not kept pace with the economy. We went for the first time in 2010 and stayed moderate (CBR), then in 2011 and stayed deluxe (BCV). I was shocked at the price of the rooms for October 2013 when I went to book our vacation this year. Even with the hope of a 30% discount, the room we are hoping to book is $100 per night MORE in 2013 than the room we booked during the same period in 2011.

I am chalking this up to the fact that Disney feels that their additions to MK along with the (slowly) rebounding economy will help them make up for smaller increases in previous years.

Luckily, this year we can swing it. Our child is still optimum "Disney age" so we are both willing and able to park our vacation dollars here. For us, I'm afraid Disney will price themselves out before our next return trip. We are already looking at future vacations in the Caribbean and Cruises that offer more than Disney for less money.

However, with that said, if you compare Disney with Atlantis, Disney wins hands down. If you include activities and merchandise, WDW offers a lot more for less money. I advise anyone when pricing out vacations to look at the total package, not just hotel, activity and food cost. With Disney we do get a lot, but if their price increases proportionately to the past two years the "deal" may no longer be worth it.
We take vacations outside of Disney, and our Disney vacations are always the most expensive. We have been to Hawaii and Cancun in the last two years and those vacations were about half the cost of what I am spending at Disney. It really depends on how you do Disney. We stay in deluxe type resorts when we vacation, and we enjoy fine dining. I realize Disney can be cheap if you stay at a value resort and eat fast food. I think when you compare vacations you have to compare Apples to Apples. What is going to cost more a nice resort in Hawaii or staying at the Poly. I guarantee you I can find a better deal in Hawaii.
Rileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #141
shan136
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 220

Yeah, I agree that Disney enthusiasts will find a less expensive way to do it. However (I hope this doesn't sound terrible) that won't be me. My family enjoys Disney, they like the rides etc. but I am the one who books the vacation and I don't go on rides and I don't enjoy the parades, I am in it for the nice hotel and the decadent dinners.

After staying at a value resort (room to small) and a moderate (inconvenient transportation) I really find the deluxe resorts the best option for us. As our DD gets older, if she is still interested in going to WDW, I believe we will try staying OP and renting a car to see if that might be an option, but I do love the convenience of just walking to a park or taking the monorail.

It is more likely that we will eventually just spend our vacation dollars elsewhere.

Last edited by shan136; 02-12-2013 at 09:31 AM.
shan136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #142
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,759

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielfan View Post
Is it just me or is the pricing to stay on property getting crazy?? Even with 30% off to the general public is nuts!! Discounted price to stay at Animal Kingdom is over $300 a night, really and a moderate is nearly $200.00 a night! They are making it very hard for a family too take a vacation there. Any thoughts....
Have you seen the crowds lately? I don't think many people agree with you..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #143
Rileyf
Earning My Ears
 
Rileyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan136 View Post
Yeah, I agree that Disney enthusiasts will find a less expensive way to do it. However (I hope this doesn't sound terrible) that won't be me. My family enjoys Disney, they like the rides etc. but I am the one who books the vacation and I don't go on rides and I don't enjoy the parades, I am in it for the nice hotel and the decadent dinners.

After staying at a value resort (room to small) and a moderate (inconvenient transportation) I really find the deluxe resorts the best option for us. As our DD gets older, if she is still interested in going to WDW, I believe we will try staying OP and renting a car to see if that might be an option, but I do love the convenience of just walking to a park or taking the monorail.

It is more likely that we will eventually just spend our vacation dollars elsewhere.
Yeah I'm kind of like you. My kids are at that perfect Disney age and it's has been a nice vacation spot for us. I can't say any of us our diehard Disney lovers. We never buy souvenirs, and I consider sitting through a Disney movie or any other animated movie for that matter to be a form of adult torcher. I do love the deluxe resorts, the restaurants, and the nice family atmosphere, but for the cost I can certainly live without it. I'm pretty sure as the kids age more and more of our vacation money will go elsewhere.
Rileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #144
allboyhouse
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 149

I don't get something.....and I know this is going to sound bad.....but why are there so many people on Disboards complaining.....if you aren't happy with how Disney runs things and say there's more value elsewhere why are you on a forum for Disney lovers??? Lol I'm not trying to be mean but post after post on many threads complaining. Just don't go. Go somewhere else. Yes I love free dining. Saves us over $1600. Am I gonna be bummed if I don't get it for my trip? Yes. Does that mean I'm gonna be priced out? By no means. Because I'm booking within my means. We can't afford deluxe so we don't book deluxe and hope for a discount to make it affordable. We go every other year or so. People are mad because they can't go twice in a year. Or can't afford a deluxe so can only stay value or moderate. So what!! Disney is so much more than the room or food or rides. It's a combination of everything they do and do very well. If you don't like the prices or the rooms or the food don't complain. Just don't go and stop complaining!
allboyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #145
RainK
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by allboyhouse View Post
I don't get something.....and I know this is going to sound bad.....but why are there so many people on Disboards complaining.....if you aren't happy with how Disney runs things and say there's more value elsewhere why are you on a forum for Disney lovers??? Lol I'm not trying to be mean but post after post on many threads complaining. Just don't go. Go somewhere else. Yes I love free dining. Saves us over $1600. Am I gonna be bummed if I don't get it for my trip? Yes. Does that mean I'm gonna be priced out? By no means. Because I'm booking within my means. We can't afford deluxe so we don't book deluxe and hope for a discount to make it affordable. We go every other year or so. People are mad because they can't go twice in a year. Or can't afford a deluxe so can only stay value or moderate. So what!! Disney is so much more than the room or food or rides. It's a combination of everything they do and do very well. If you don't like the prices or the rooms or the food don't complain. Just don't go and stop complaining!

Bravo. Nicely put....I 100% agree.
__________________




August 2013 Beach Club
August 2011 POP
May 2010 CBR
October 2008 ASMO
September 2006 & 2007 POP
Previous 2 visits off site
RainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #146
Rileyf
Earning My Ears
 
Rileyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by allboyhouse View Post
I don't get something.....and I know this is going to sound bad.....but why are there so many people on Disboards complaining.....if you aren't happy with how Disney runs things and say there's more value elsewhere why are you on a forum for Disney lovers??? Lol I'm not trying to be mean but post after post on many threads complaining. Just don't go. Go somewhere else. Yes I love free dining. Saves us over $1600. Am I gonna be bummed if I don't get it for my trip? Yes. Does that mean I'm gonna be priced out? By no means. Because I'm booking within my means. We can't afford deluxe so we don't book deluxe and hope for a discount to make it affordable. We go every other year or so. People are mad because they can't go twice in a year. Or can't afford a deluxe so can only stay value or moderate. So what!! Disney is so much more than the room or food or rides. It's a combination of everything they do and do very well. If you don't like the prices or the rooms or the food don't complain. Just don't go and stop complaining!
I totally disagree with you. This is a message board. People are free to discuss their feelings and opinions about Disney good or bad. I don't feel this board should be limited to only people that have positive things to say. I don't know why people take criticism of Disney so personally. Obviously most people on this form like going to WDW or they would not be on here, but there a definitely areas Disney could improve on. I don't see any reason why those can't be discussed.
Rileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #147
allboyhouse
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyf

I totally disagree with you. This is a message board. People are free to discuss their feelings and opinions about Disney good or bad. I don't feel this board should be limited to only people that have positive things to say. I don't know why people take criticism of Disney so personally. Obviously most people on this form like going to WDW or they would not be on here, but there a definitely areas Disney could improve on. I don't see any reason why those can't be discussed.
Oh I'm not saying limited.....it's just every other post is the same gripe. And I'm not taking it personally. It just gets old to see constant negativity post after post, especially when people are complaining that they will only get to go once this year or cant afford to stay at such and such deluxe resort so their trip is ruined. I think most people come here to get help planning their trips and share info etc. I don't speak for everyone but I have three teenagers if I want to hear someone complain. Maybe we need a separate board for people who need a place to complain then the rest of us can get the info we need without scrolling through pages of negativity!
allboyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #148
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer
 
HippieChickadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyf View Post
I totally disagree with you. This is a message board. People are free to discuss their feelings and opinions about Disney good or bad. I don't feel this board should be limited to only people that have positive things to say. I don't know why people take criticism of Disney so personally. Obviously most people on this form like going to WDW or they would not be on here, but there a definitely areas Disney could improve on. I don't see any reason why those can't be discussed.
Exactly. I went to Disney 4 times last year (and I live in NY). I'm not saying I hate Disney, it's just my opinion it's overpriced for the average family. I am not complaining for me (obviously the price didn't stop me) I am complaining for the families with children who would love Disney as a get a way but can't afford 2-3 grand to do it.

People take things so personally.
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #149
Rosanne
DIS Veteran
 
Rosanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyf View Post
I totally disagree with you. This is a message board. People are free to discuss their feelings and opinions about Disney good or bad. I don't feel this board should be limited to only people that have positive things to say. I don't know why people take criticism of Disney so personally. Obviously most people on this form like going to WDW or they would not be on here, but there a definitely areas Disney could improve on. I don't see any reason why those can't be discussed.
l I'm with you. If people didn't give both sides, good and bad I don't think I would learn nearly as much.
__________________
Rosanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #150
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH
 
WILDERNESS FAN 55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by allboyhouse View Post
I don't get something.....and I know this is going to sound bad.....but why are there so many people on Disboards complaining.....if you aren't happy with how Disney runs things and say there's more value elsewhere why are you on a forum for Disney lovers??? Lol I'm not trying to be mean but post after post on many threads complaining. Just don't go. Go somewhere else. Yes I love free dining. Saves us over $1600. Am I gonna be bummed if I don't get it for my trip? Yes. Does that mean I'm gonna be priced out? By no means. Because I'm booking within my means. We can't afford deluxe so we don't book deluxe and hope for a discount to make it affordable. We go every other year or so. People are mad because they can't go twice in a year. Or can't afford a deluxe so can only stay value or moderate. So what!! Disney is so much more than the room or food or rides. It's a combination of everything they do and do very well. If you don't like the prices or the rooms or the food don't complain. Just don't go and stop complaining!
I'm with you on basicly on this. Complaints about things like free dining and "I always go when it's free dining." Why aren't they offering free dining" "Why is WDW doing this to ME" Well folks free dining DID NOT always exist And in no way has it ever been meant to be a lifelong promotion. Get over it. If you can't figure a way to afford the trip without FD than maybe you should stay home this year.
The other thing that gets me , but doesn't make me mad just makes me laugh is when people start with "Disney is going to lose their market share if they don't bring back bigger discounts and FD" HAHA As if Disney hasn't been doing this in FL for 42 years. Cracks me up !
__________________
We're not the only people on this Island and we all know it!

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.