Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #3676
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ539 View Post
250 is close, hope you can do the new thread before you go Andre. That way you won't have to worry about it while your enjoying your vacation.

We hopefully can make our reservations for May 26-Jun 1 the first part of March, have to wait for DH to be able to make his vacation schedule at the end of Feb. Keeping fingers crossed that after we make reservations we won't have to cancel (had to last year due to DS medical issues). Planning on staying at POR (with or without sale prices), we went last when it was Dixie Landings (1995). Stayed at OKW in 2007, but want to go back to POR.

Love all the information that Venomhatch and Andre have provided. It definately makes me want to stay at POR again.
Most likely we will be have something up when he leaves. That way we don't have to worry about anything while he is on his trip.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #3677
germ539
Goofy is my favorite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Most likely we will be have something up when he leaves. That way we don't have to worry about anything while he is on his trip.
That's good to hear, would rather have Andre enjoying his vacation then having to worry about the dis boards. He deserves a break now and then.

Again thank you both for what you do on these boards. It is very appreciated.
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #3678
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ539 View Post
That's good to hear, would rather have Andre enjoying his vacation then having to worry about the dis boards. He deserves a break now and then.

Again thank you both for what you do on these boards. It is very appreciated.
We try... we try. But thank you and all the other loyal readers as well as the new ones without you all we would not have such a nice thread!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #3679
Moneypenny
Mouseketeer

We just returned from a wonderful stay at POR, February 1st-8th. Here's my take on the things I see commonly talked about here.

1) Room Request - I requested mansion, top floor, away from quiet pool on my original reservation. I then faxed a request about a week prior to our arrival after doing online check in. I did not receive a response to my fax and chose not to follow up since those requests were not going to make or break our trip. All requests were granted. Yay!

2) Check-in process - we arrived around 5 pm. There were CMs waiting for people to get into the online check in line so we were all checked in and ready to go in about 5 minutes.

3) Delivery to room - I had ordered a case of water from Costco a week before arrival. It was there waiting for us when we checked in. Bell Services would have delivered it to us, but since we weren't going to be in the room to receive it, we chose to lug it to the room ourselves.

4) Food at food court - we had a couple of breakfasts and a few dinners here. The breakfasts were typical Disney food court breakfasts. Dinner was good, especially the make your own salad and pasta people rave about. The pasta was a large amount so DH, DD (8 years old) and I split it and got a small side salad and an order of bread sticks to go with. We were all plenty full!

5) Housekeeping - our room was clean, but not overly so. By that I mean that the sinks, toilet, and floors were clean but the beadboard in the bathroom could have used a scrubbing since it had lots of splatters and dust/gunk in the seams and along the base board. I also noticed some used tissue and an old playing card between the headboard and the wall when I was checking for bed bugs. Now, there's no telling what you'll find if you look between the headboard and the wall in my own home, so it didn't bother me enough to call about it, lol!

Our housekeeper kept forgetting to restock our coffee, but a quick call to them had it delivered within 15 minutes. The coffee is not good and we are not coffee snobs. It was made slightly more tolerable if we used bottled water instead of tap water, but our Folgers at home was still vastly superior.

6) In-room storage - there was plenty of room for our stuff and luggage. We had two full-sized suitcases, one large duffel, two standard carryons and three back packs. All fit quite nicely in the area behind the door with room to spare. It did not feel crowded at all.

7) Slippery spot on bathroom floor - the "marble" threshold between the bathroom and carpeted area was very slippery. All three of us slipped on it at various points but, luckily, none of us actually hit the ground. It would be easy to bash your head on the vanity, so this made me nervous.

8) Pools - we used the main pool twice. It gets busy and there are only a few chairs in the sun, which were highly sought after this time of year. The quiet pool had many more sunny chairs and we actually preferred this since there was more room to move around and actually swim or play in the pool.

9) Busses - we had good bus service from the East Depot. We stood once on the way to a park in the a.m. and also in the evenings when we left a park at close, which I expected. The longest wait was 20 minutes for a bus to DHS one morning, but the rest of the waits were 10 minutes or less, even at park close. The lines in the POR coral at the park would be long, but one bus after the other would pull up so it went very quickly. We sometimes would stop at POFQ, but mostly not. We would often get off the bus at the South depot to refill our mugs and enjoy the walk back to our room.

Overall, we really enjoyed the stay. The resort really is very picturesque and all the CMs were very nice. We will definitely stay here again if we are lucky enough to be able to make it happen!
Carribean Beach Resort - October 2010
Carribean Beach Resort - March 2009
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #3680
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypenny View Post
We just returned from a wonderful stay at POR, February 1st-8th. Here's my take on the things I see commonly talked about here.

1) Room Request - I requested mansion, top floor, away from quiet pool on my original reservation. I then faxed a request about a week prior to our arrival after doing online check in. I did not receive a response to my fax and chose not to follow up since those requests were not going to make or break our trip. All requests were granted. Yay!

2) Check-in process - we arrived around 5 pm. There were CMs waiting for people to get into the online check in line so we were all checked in and ready to go in about 5 minutes.

3) Delivery to room - I had ordered a case of water from Costco a week before arrival. It was there waiting for us when we checked in. Bell Services would have delivered it to us, but since we weren't going to be in the room to receive it, we chose to lug it to the room ourselves.

4) Food at food court - we had a couple of breakfasts and a few dinners here. The breakfasts were typical Disney food court breakfasts. Dinner was good, especially the make your own salad and pasta people rave about. The pasta was a large amount so DH, DD (8 years old) and I split it and got a small side salad and an order of bread sticks to go with. We were all plenty full!

5) Housekeeping - our room was clean, but not overly so. By that I mean that the sinks, toilet, and floors were clean but the beadboard in the bathroom could have used a scrubbing since it had lots of splatters and dust/gunk in the seams and along the base board. I also noticed some used tissue and an old playing card between the headboard and the wall when I was checking for bed bugs. Now, there's no telling what you'll find if you look between the headboard and the wall in my own home, so it didn't bother me enough to call about it, lol!

Our housekeeper kept forgetting to restock our coffee, but a quick call to them had it delivered within 15 minutes. The coffee is not good and we are not coffee snobs. It was made slightly more tolerable if we used bottled water instead of tap water, but our Folgers at home was still vastly superior.

6) In-room storage - there was plenty of room for our stuff and luggage. We had two full-sized suitcases, one large duffel, two standard carryons and three back packs. All fit quite nicely in the area behind the door with room to spare. It did not feel crowded at all.

7) Slippery spot on bathroom floor - the "marble" threshold between the bathroom and carpeted area was very slippery. All three of us slipped on it at various points but, luckily, none of us actually hit the ground. It would be easy to bash your head on the vanity, so this made me nervous.

8) Pools - we used the main pool twice. It gets busy and there are only a few chairs in the sun, which were highly sought after this time of year. The quiet pool had many more sunny chairs and we actually preferred this since there was more room to move around and actually swim or play in the pool.

9) Busses - we had good bus service from the East Depot. We stood once on the way to a park in the a.m. and also in the evenings when we left a park at close, which I expected. The longest wait was 20 minutes for a bus to DHS one morning, but the rest of the waits were 10 minutes or less, even at park close. The lines in the POR coral at the park would be long, but one bus after the other would pull up so it went very quickly. We sometimes would stop at POFQ, but mostly not. We would often get off the bus at the South depot to refill our mugs and enjoy the walk back to our room.

Overall, we really enjoyed the stay. The resort really is very picturesque and all the CMs were very nice. We will definitely stay here again if we are lucky enough to be able to make it happen!
Yay so happy for you MoneyPenny, by the way I am a huge 007 fan. Nice name.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #3681
ethansmommy
Disney Planner

Hello my family and I are considering staying here on our upcoming trip in Nov. We have been spoiled up to this point by staying in deluxe hotels but we really want to save money this trip and the only moderate that appeals to me is the Riverside. So I am trying to do as much research as possible on this thread and the Port Orleans website but I stll have a couple of questions that I am unsure of:

1. If I book a Royal Room pool view is it possible to request a corner room to get the 2 windows or not? Also how many floors are there in the buildings with the Royal rooms? We would like to be on the top floor so I dont have to worry about hearing people above us.
2. What bus stop is the first one? I have read that it is the South Depot but then I have seen people mention that it is the West Depot. Does it depend on time of day??

I really want to learn as much as I can about this resort. I am a bit of a commitment phobe and want to go into booking this with a clear mind and no doubts. Not sure if that will happen but I have to remember that I will be in Disney so it wont really matter that much!!

Any other tips that you can share with me would be great.

~Jen

"Every story has an end, but in life every ending is just a new begining."

Past Trips: Jan '08-WL, April '08-AKL, Sept '08-WL,
Jan '09-WL, May '09-off-site, Nov '09-Poly, Nov '10-WLV, Nov '11-WL
Future Trips: Nov '13-WL
Old 02-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #3682
visitingapril09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyEhCA View Post
There are non-RRs in Magnolia Terrace and Acadian House. Check out the handy map here: http://www.portorleans.org/maps-and-directions.php
Thanks for your help!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #3683
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethansmommy View Post
1. If I book a Royal Room pool view is it possible to request a corner room to get the 2 windows or not? Also how many floors are there in the buildings with the Royal rooms? We would like to be on the top floor so I dont have to worry about hearing people above us.
2. What bus stop is the first one? I have read that it is the South Depot but then I have seen people mention that it is the West Depot. Does it depend on time of day??
1) Yes, being basically a series of square structures there are plenty of corner rooms, and yes all the 'outside' corner rooms do feature two windows. All of the mansion buildings have three floors within the central block area (where the elevators are) and two floors in the more spread-out wing sections. See the room and building floorplans which are linked to from the FAQ posts at the start of this thread (e.g. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post46285479)

2) The bus pickup/dropoff route varies, mostly depending on where you are coming from. Some buses do South>West>North>East, while others do West>North>East>South. Some buses also stop at POFQ first on their way back from the parks - but not usually the MK buses, they are almost always separate services. Also you are more likely to have separate POR/POFQ buses during busier times of day.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #3684
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

WooHoo! : just "re-booked" our stay at POR next October as a room/tickets package through AAA (room discount). We had a RO discount applied for a POR-WV/PV, but after Andre's recent room layouts decided to just go with a GV for better odds at getting a room in Magnolia Terrace, upper floor I REALLY want to stay in the mansions (Magnolia Terrace over Acadian, but would be OK with either) more than I care about the view (save another $150 too!). AB just doesn't look like it has as much easily accessible storage, and I know my kids would fight over the trundle. Hope we get our request. I love the small P&F touches too, whereas I think a RR would be overkill for me and DH for 9 nights. Now we just need to sit and wait (until summer ) to see if any better package deals are released...

This thread has been SO helpful in our planning! Thank you all!!!

CSR October 2013, POR October 2013
Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal circa 1995
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #3685
MickeyEars
DIS Veteran

We also changed to Garden View in hopes of getting Magnolia Terrace. We tried Alligator Bayou a couple of years ago and my husband and sons weren't thrilled because we were so far from everything.
Last June my oldest son and I went and stayed in a Royal Room so I don't feel the need to stay in those again. This trip it's husband, youngest son and I. I'm thinking they will like the mansions better.

Here's hoping our requests are granted!!!

Carla
Old 02-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #3686
DisneyEhCA
Canadian Mom in a Magical World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad300 View Post
Hello everyone, first time POR here, and have some quick questions. My fiance and I are celebrating our engagement for a few days, and we are real pumped to go to POR!! If someone would be so kind to help, it'd be greatly appreciated!!

1. We reserved a king bed room. Any specific requests I should ask for (building location, etc)

2. We booked through Orbitz and I can't seem to find a way to check-in online. If I call POR, will they be able to assist?

3. We plan on hitting up the Wishes fireworks the first night and then head to DTD. How late do the boats run from DTD back to POR??

4. Any special ideas that I can either request from the hotel or Disney in general to get something with the engaged aspect part of the trip? It'd be a nice little surprise for the future bride.

Thanks so much!!
Not sure I can answer your questions, but thought I'd give you a *bump* just in case someone else can.

---------------------------------------------------
Me (38) DH (47) DS (4)
October 2011 - All-Star Movies
February 2012 - Pop Century
January 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
January 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside (fingers crossed!)
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #3687
Wismgari
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for the advice about water delivery to the room I will look into that closer to the time (I am getting a little bit ahead of myself really but I am so excited that I am finally going to Disney for the first time in my life!)

62 days to go!!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #3688
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Whew !!! Just had a super close call ... but all is working out

We were thinking of changing our stay and adding 2 nights since we are off til the following monday and were planned to come back Weds ... so We figured Friday would be a better day for the return.

We weren't sure which to do first, check if we could get the room, OR, check to switch the flights ...

Figured it hinged on the flights, so went ahead and did a bunch of stuff to switch the flights, got that done, and happily called Disney to add the days ... dun dun dun ... was told there were no more available !!!!

Thankfully got put over to guest services and they worked it out, ended up getting the 2 days added with the spring promo still ...

For about 15 mins there, I was freaking out !!!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #3689
cad300
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyEhCA View Post
Not sure I can answer your questions, but thought I'd give you a *bump* just in case someone else can.
Got #2 answered earlier, but the other 3 are still out there, haha. Thanks for the help though. Would anyone else be willing to take a look at it?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #3690
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad300 View Post
Got #2 answered earlier, but the other 3 are still out there, haha. Thanks for the help though. Would anyone else be willing to take a look at it?
Hey there, we went to CSR for our honeymoon and were given a bottle of "Wishes" Champagne and Groom and Bride Mickey Ears. Now, this was certainly above and beyond, but be sure to let the guest services/front desk know ... When we checked in for some reason the fact that it was our honey moon didn't get passed on to them ???

Anyway, if they don't do anything like that.... you might want to pick them up yourself
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: