Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #1651
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

A friend of mine is an awesome teacher. I wish I had her when I was going to school.

She does NOT give homework other than reading. She makes the kids all do their stuff during class time. She knows that parents do their kids homework. I last saw her in November last year and she was telling me about a couple of parents that were shocked that their kids were failing her class when they were straight A students for the rest. The parents were complaining that she didn't send homework for the kids to do and couldn't understand how she could give them any sort of grade. One set of parents even called for the meeting with the principal. She showed them their class work and explained why she had to grade them the way she did. She said both sets of parents left rather shell-shocked when they saw the quality of the work.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #1652
Mean Queen
If only life were like a musical....
I always appreciate snarky
A whole zoo!
I blame it all on the computer

I generally only give a lot of help with the big projects, not the homework. I sit with my youngest while she does her homework just for questions and encouragement.

DVC Owners - SSR & BLT DCL: 11/05 ~ 5/07 ~ 11/08 ~ 6/09 ~ 8/10 ~ 3/11B2B ~ 11/11 ~ 6/12 ~9/12 ~ 11/13 ~ 1/14 ~ 6/14 ~ 11/14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #1653
PrincessInOz
in

MQ - My DS is now in what we call high school (Year 7); middle school for the US. We moved schools last year and he got a lot more self-sufficient at homework last year. This year, he's been doing everything by himself. I guess they all grow up eventually!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #1654
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Nemo (the blizzard, not the kiddo LOL) graced us with two feet of snow. Unearthing ourselves was quite the project. MJS did half of it when the blizzard ended on Saturday, and fortunately when he started the other half yesterday, one of our neighbors came over with his snow blower and helped out. I love our neighborhood and our town. So kind!

Yesterday my FIL came over for an impromptu visit and it was really nice. I know I haven't talked about it here, nor do I have a ticker yet, because our Disney vacation for this year is pending a lot of things financially.

But, I mentioned to him when we were thinking of going, and asked him if he wanted to come with us.

I got a resounding "YES!" as an answer!

My mother would be so proud. We've turned FIL into a convert. And actually, thinking about it, he never takes a vacation unless he goes somewhere with us. My husband is so similar, if I didn't plan vacations, he'd never take off from work.

So we've got FIL who will come the whole trip (and we're thinking of an eight day trip) and Nana who's on board for four days.

These are the reasons that really pull me to make it work. Time with family, and time with kids while they're still young and mesmerized by the magic. I know I don't have to explain that to you guys.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #1655
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
She does NOT give homework other than reading. She makes the kids all do their stuff during class time. She knows that parents do their kids homework....
...wow, really? Not here......the kids just don't DO their homework...
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #1656
Mean Queen
A whole zoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Nemo (the blizzard, not the kiddo LOL) graced us with two feet of snow. Unearthing ourselves was quite the project. MJS did half of it when the blizzard ended on Saturday, and fortunately when he started the other half yesterday, one of our neighbors came over with his snow blower and helped out. I love our neighborhood and our town. So kind!

Yesterday my FIL came over for an impromptu visit and it was really nice. I know I haven't talked about it here, nor do I have a ticker yet, because our Disney vacation for this year is pending a lot of things financially.

But, I mentioned to him when we were thinking of going, and asked him if he wanted to come with us.

I got a resounding "YES!" as an answer!

My mother would be so proud. We've turned FIL into a convert. And actually, thinking about it, he never takes a vacation unless he goes somewhere with us. My husband is so similar, if I didn't plan vacations, he'd never take off from work.

So we've got FIL who will come the whole trip (and we're thinking of an eight day trip) and Nana who's on board for four days.

These are the reasons that really pull me to make it work. Time with family, and time with kids while they're still young and mesmerized by the magic. I know I don't have to explain that to you guys.
I do understand! It's even more special when a few generations can get together at Disney. I loved when my grandparents came with us. It was a slow paced trip, but we all had a great time watching them be "kids". We're going this weekend for a quick 3 day trip. Staying at AKV in a savanna view studio.

DVC Owners - SSR & BLT DCL: 11/05 ~ 5/07 ~ 11/08 ~ 6/09 ~ 8/10 ~ 3/11B2B ~ 11/11 ~ 6/12 ~9/12 ~ 11/13 ~ 1/14 ~ 6/14 ~ 11/14
Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #1657
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Queen View Post
I do understand! It's even more special when a few generations can get together at Disney. I loved when my grandparents came with us. It was a slow paced trip, but we all had a great time watching them be "kids". We're going this weekend for a quick 3 day trip. Staying at AKV in a savanna view studio.
That sounds nice! I'd like to stay there when the boys are a little bit older. I think a savanna view with bunk beds would thrill them to no end!

I have to say, for the first time in a long time, I've actually reconsidered DVC. I love staying at moderate resorts, personally. But it is basically unaffordable to stay at a deluxe now unless you have DVC. Know what I mean? I can't believe how exponentially room rates have gone up in the past couple of years. Over $500 a night for the Poly? WOW.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #1658
kimmar067

Quote:
That sounds nice! I'd like to stay there when the boys are a little bit older. I think a savanna view with bunk beds would thrill them to no end!

I have to say, for the first time in a long time, I've actually reconsidered DVC. I love staying at moderate resorts, personally. But it is basically unaffordable to stay at a deluxe now unless you have DVC. Know what I mean? I can't believe how exponentially room rates have gone up in the past couple of years. Over $500 a night for the Poly? WOW.
....yeah - that IS a bit re-DIC-erous...
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #1659
daisyyy
MOUSKETEERNow THAT sounds like a plan!.... send in the ferrets!

Yeah.. I agree.. I don't usually help with the everyday homework... but for the big projects, sometimes they need a little something to get started. my DS and I had a little talk about what is good help, and what is too much help... I told him, he needs to be more self suffiecient, and at least come up with the ideas.... I can try and help him figure out how to get the ideas to work, but he needs to come up with something,,,,, I agree with MQ, I don't want to send him into school with something that looks like carp... Part of it, is he has a tough time focusing on anything, hopefully he will get better at these projects... on his own.

No DISNEYticker at the moment

Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #1660
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyyy View Post
Yeah.. I agree.. I don't usually help with the everyday homework... but for the big projects, sometimes they need a little something to get started. my DS and I had a little talk about what is good help, and what is too much help... I told him, he needs to be more self suffiecient, and at least come up with the ideas.... I can try and help him figure out how to get the ideas to work, but he needs to come up with something,,,,, I agree with MQ, I don't want to send him into school with something that looks like carp... Part of it, is he has a tough time focusing on anything, hopefully he will get better at these projects... on his own.
....how much one helps their child depends upon their age too....I can't see aiding a 7th grader as much as I would a 3rd grader, for instance...
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #1661
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
...wow, really? Not here......the kids just don't DO their homework...
Over here....that would be because the parents do it instead.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #1662
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Quote:
....how much one helps their child depends upon their age too....I can't see aiding a 7th grader as much as I would a 3rd grader, for instance...
My DS is 13. This year, we're turning it around. I have asked him to start on his projects and get all the planning and first draft done. Then I'll "help" him with refining it. We are talking about each section and I'm asking him how he thinks he should present or word smith to make it better.

*sigh* It's not easy....this parenting thing.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #1663
daisyyy
MOUSKETEERNow THAT sounds like a plan!.... send in the ferrets!

Quote:
Oh.. good... I'm glad you said that, cuz... he's a third grader... and probably ADD.. which doesn't help. The thing is.. he's in the mentally gifted program... which I kinda was surprised and said, you must be mistaken when I spoke with the people who did the testing.. and they are like.. nope... it's not always about how good thier grades are.. sometimes they are bored.. or have a different way of thinking.. but they look for certain qualities, and they do those standard tests.. and IQ stuff... and if all of these numbers add up.. then they consider them gifted. in any event... he does ok in school... but I can see what they mean... he might have a differnt way of processing info.. and then eventually come up with the answer... for example... most people would say 2+2 = 4..... but to him.... he might be like.. 1+1+1+1=4... or 8-4=4 . same answer.. just a differnt way of coming up with it. they look for unusual or creative thinking.

No DISNEYticker at the moment

Old 02-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #1664
PrincessInOz
in

Happy Valentine's Day.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #1665
Mean Queen
A whole zoo!

Quote:

It is nice to know that with DVC my prices won't keep going up (unless I want to buy more later, it does keep going up to buy in.)

Quote:
Oh.. good... I'm glad you said that, cuz... he's a third grader... and probably ADD.. which doesn't help. The thing is.. he's in the mentally gifted program... which I kinda was surprised and said, you must be mistaken when I spoke with the people who did the testing.. and they are like.. nope... it's not always about how good thier grades are.. sometimes they are bored.. or have a different way of thinking.. but they look for certain qualities, and they do those standard tests.. and IQ stuff... and if all of these numbers add up.. then they consider them gifted. in any event... he does ok in school... but I can see what they mean... he might have a differnt way of processing info.. and then eventually come up with the answer... for example... most people would say 2+2 = 4..... but to him.... he might be like.. 1+1+1+1=4... or 8-4=4 . same answer.. just a differnt way of coming up with it. they look for unusual or creative thinking.
Both my girls are in gifted and my oldest is ADD. Actually, most of the kids I've seen in their gifted classes seem very ADD. Gifted kids just seem to think differently and need a little more stimulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Happy Valentine's Day.

Thanks! Happy Valentine's Day to you too.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: