Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #31
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

We flew out of Philly direct to Orlando with AirTran, total cost came to about $200/pp round trip both times we went. I booked when the fares were acceptable, then kept an eye on them; they went down both times. You can get a credit from AirTran when your price decreases that we applied to the seat and baggage fees.

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #32
tms295psu
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssawka

Wow, and I thought we got good fares in DC. Airfare to MCO has been right around $200 here for the last couple years. I guess you got lucky finding fares that low.
Yes lucky and hoping for more luck this year! Keep in mind we are extremely flexible with travel dates... We pick them based on when the cheapest airfare is for a 4-6 day stay. I have an incredible employer that allows me to take vacation time on short notice regardless other staff scheduling, and hubby is self employed.
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #33
tms295psu
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny3
We flew out of Philly direct to Orlando with AirTran, total cost came to about $200/pp round trip both times we went. I booked when the fares were acceptable, then kept an eye on them; they went down both times. You can get a credit from AirTran when your price decreases that we applied to the seat and baggage fees.
$200 pp seems to be the norm lately... I've found tickets for $460 for 4 ppl this spring. Just trying to convince hubby it's time for another trip!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #34
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tms295psu View Post
Yes lucky and hoping for more luck this year! Keep in mind we are extremely flexible with travel dates... We pick them based on when the cheapest airfare is for a 4-6 day stay. I have an incredible employer that allows me to take vacation time on short notice regardless other staff scheduling, and hubby is self employed.
Well, I'm still not sure when you are planning to go, but a quick search of Kaya showed $178 out of NY (LGA or JFK) and out of Trenton for May or June leaving mid week. The question is, is it worth going to any of those airports to save $22 a ticket?

BTW, I like your username. I'm a PSU Alum!

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #35
WMorganS
Flapping My Ears

My advice would be to book your flight soon... though a lot of advice sites will disagree with that. But my experience, being a JetBlue fan, is that JetBlue has an 8 month booking window and the BEST nonstop seats *sometimes* sell out 6 months ahead.
WMorganS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #36
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

Flying midweek is usually cheapest. We've gotten some good prices by flying Wednesday- Wednesday.
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #37
GordonD
Earning My Ears

Airlines like SW do not post all there fares on the Big Travel Sites (Expedia, travelling, priceline). As I understand it, airlines that use those sites cuts into the Airline profits. Fares with the lowest prices, are only listed on the Airline web site.

The Airlines monitor Holidays, spring breaks, and times that people will fly because they "must". During these times they are less likely to drop the cost. If they are near 100% booking, they wont drop the price much.

If you can get a supersale (like $120 round trip), you might want to move your vacation to that date, rather than trying to get airline ticket that meets your dates.
GordonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #38
reagansmom
Mouseketeer

We've used SW, JetBlue and AirTran in the last few years. Don't be set on one carrier for a roundtrip flight, too. We often mix and match between two, depending on prices, flight times, etc. I just got $90/each way on SW for April from Western NY and it is some of the best flights we've seen. If you can tolerate going to BWI, you might find some good deals and direct flights. Good luck & have fun!!
reagansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #39
mommyrom
Happy to Call SSR Home :-)

Realize we are talking different areas of Northeast, but I am also traveling late May and had been watching SW and Jetblue fares like a hawk. Scored $90 one way and $75 the other. Even though I did not use the airlines being tracked, Bing Travel will give you a Buy Now or Wait opinion for the flights you enter for them to track. I decided to grab my SW flights when I saw the Bing trend say "Buy, with $50 fare increase / 80% confidence" for other airlines, as SW seems to follow the increasing trends eventually. Bing Travel just another tracker out there, for your flight watching enjoyment. Good luck!
First Back to Back DREAMing with Mickey Happy 15th Anniversary 10/9/11 & 10/13/11 !
DH Me '90 '98 '01 '03 '08
mommyrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #40
tinkerbell313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyniknate
We drive to BWI or Dulles and take Jet Blue from there. A whole lot cheaper than the local flights.
Jet Blue no longer flies direct to MCO from Dulles. The route goes from Dulles up to JFK then down to MCO.
tinkerbell313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #41
tinkerbell313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssawka

Wow, and I thought we got good fares in DC. Airfare to MCO has been right around $200 here for the last couple years. I guess you got lucky finding fares that low.
We have flown out of DCA on JetBlue twice within last year and flights were $130/rt. You have to fly Tuesdays/Wednesdays to get inexpensive flights.

I just booked for April and our flight was $136 r/t. We are doing a quick trip flying down on a Wednesday and returning on Saturday.

You need to be flexible on the actual days...mid week always seems to be less expensive.
tinkerbell313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #42
mcraige
DIS Veteran

I read another post on the board recommending www.google.com/flights. I used it today, and like it MUCH better than Kayak or any of the other travel sites.
Disney World May 1998 - Off Site; September 1998 - Off Site; October 1999 - Off Site; March 2000 - All Star Music; March 2002 - All Star Movies; March 2004 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2006 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); December 2007 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); November 2010 - Old Key West (DVC); July 2011 - Off Site; November 2012 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2013 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); May/June 2014 - Beach Club Villas/Kidani Village Vero Beach March 2004, July 2009 Disney Cruise Line May 2003, July 2009 Disneyland December 2002/January 2003 - Off Site; August 2008 - Off Site
mcraige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #43
jeff2012
Earning My Ears

We are going in late September. Leaving on a Saturday and returning the following Sunday. The airfare is crazy, we have two adults, one 6 yr old, and at the time of flight a 21 month old
jeff2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #44
beansmom
Your dream eludes you? Don't you know that a dream is a wish your heart makes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssawka View Post
And book through the airline's website. Some airlines, like Jet Blue and I think Southwest, will give you a credit if the fare drops and you call them.
I was told by Jetblue customer service that they will credit you no matter what site you booked thru, not just the jetblue.com site.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #45
MeggerasMa
Oh, let me answer (and I can only hope I am right)
And if I'm wrong I'll only be embarrassed for a day or two
I just figure that there is only so much room between my ears

watch Frontier out of Harrisburg if you can be flexible in your travel dates. I very recently got april dates (Sunday - Thurs) for 117 RT. I was thrilled because I'd just traveled PHL to MCO in Jan and 124 down 136 back was the best I could get via US airways. Never traveled from MDT, but it beats the prices from ABE.
MeggerasMa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: