Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
And free beer at the end from what I understand!
Sweet!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #17
Mama_Dis
Mouseketeer

I ran it last year. I loved it, it's my kids favorite medal of mine! The crowd support is awesome, lots of music and fun. The first half is hilly- not like rolling hills of KY, but HILLS, there is at least one that goes up toward an area that people go to get a view of the city skyline, so it's a pretty steep incline, but once you get through that it is good! The Expo was great as well, lots of info on tons of different races/coupons/freebies etc.
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
We will be there! It's the largest 1/2 in the country and just a lot of fun!
Decision made - it will be Indy this year. Will do the Flying Pig next year. Friends decided to meet us there and run their first 5k there. We're doing the mini-marathon (1/2). Hope it has a good expo. I'm becoming an expo addict.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

I am definitely running The Pig this year cuz it is the 20th anniversary of the race weekend and they are offering a new 3-Way and 4-Way Challenge to the race.

I am doing the 3-Way Challenge: a 10K and 5K on Saturday followed by the Half on Sunday. Kinda like an easier Dopey!
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
RunRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #20
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRookie View Post
I am definitely running The Pig this year cuz it is the 20th anniversary of the race weekend and they are offering a new 3-Way and 4-Way Challenge to the race.

I am doing the 3-Way Challenge: a 10K and 5K on Saturday followed by the Half on Sunday. Kinda like an easier Dopey!
I saw that they were offering that. A bit too challenging for me still - I'm working on it though. To be honest, it was a tough decision to choose between the two. Wish they were spaced out so that we could do both. Please come back to this thread and let me know how it went! Good luck!
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #21
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

If you cannot chose between doing fast(Indy) and fun (Flying Pig) you don't have to.
Kentucky Derby Festival (KDF) is the week before and is both fast and fun. Course is flat except for the tunnels into the Churchill downs infield and one underpass beneath some train tracks.
Lot's of crowd support and the horses are out doing there morning workouts when you run through Churchill Downs.
It's a week before Flying Pig, so you could even do both this year.
Even has the free Mich Ultra.

MikeofRose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #22
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
Decision made - it will be Indy this year. Will do the Flying Pig next year. Friends decided to meet us there and run their first 5k there. We're doing the mini-marathon (1/2). Hope it has a good expo. I'm becoming an expo addict.
I thought the Expo was good last year! If you need a good hotel and don't mind something a little pricey, the JW Marriot is fantastic. It is new and very nice, and you literally walk right out the door to the start line. The Westin is also very close.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #23
KippWade
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't count Indy as being "fast". The GF of one of the guys I work with spoke with me about the Indy Mini last fall and she said that she couldn't even start running until they got past mile 3. She said that it's a nice race to do just to say you've run on the IMS track, but she had been hoping for a PR; which didn't happen.

They do not start in waves like Disney does, it's released as one big mass of people. So unless you've gotten up front, you're in for a very crowded start.

I watched the coverage of it on TV last year.

I was debating on whether or not to do the Indy Mini or Flying Pig, and I'm thinking I'm going with the Pig and go with some of the other WiSH'ers that will be there.
WDW 1/2 Marathon - Jan 7, 2012 3:48:49 | Indianapolis Monumental 1/2 Marathon - Nov 3, 2012 3:37:29
WDW 1/2 Marathon - Jan 12, 2013 4:00:29
My Blog - 100 Pounds/1 Year
I'm also on RunKeeper as KippWade!
KippWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #24
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Yes, it is a big race but we didn't have trouble with crowds at all. We started in one of the preferred corrals (can't remember which one) and the only place I ever felt even the least but slowed down was at the track, and that's just because everyone wants to run down at the bottom. I did spend a portion of that part passing people on the grass....but I did that at the ToT 10-miler too!
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: