Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
augusta1
Mouseketeer

Boardwalk question

I'm thinking of checking out Boardwalk this trip. Is there enough on the boardwalk to entertain my kids (6 and 4)? We haven't been yet to just check out the boardwalk attractions. Should we give it a go or skip it?

Me DH DD DD
2010-ASM, 2011-CBR, 2012- POP, 2013- POP, 2014- Upcoming POP!
augusta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by augusta1 View Post
I'm thinking of checking out Boardwalk this trip. Is there enough on the boardwalk to entertain my kids (6 and 4)? We haven't been yet to just check out the boardwalk attractions. Should we give it a go or skip it?
The acts are only out in the evening, there's nothing for them during the day. The easiest way to do it is if you are at Epcot and go out the International Gateway.
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

If you aren't sure if there will be enough to do, maybe make a dining reservation in the area and then explore a little after dinner. That way, if you like it, great, and if it's a little disappointing then you still had a nice meal. It is a little more oriented to older kids and adults than little children though.

It's very easy to get to from either Epcot or DHS.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
tinkbyday
DIS Veteran

There are performers, carnival games, etc that sets a great atmosphere in the evening, but I don't think you could burn great amounts of time here. Also important to note that the carnival games are not free and can get pricey pretty quick lol.

That being said, staying at the BWI offers you a great location because you are walking distance to both DHS and Epcot - we love to have the option to stroll over the Epcot and walk around the different countries in the evening.

Dec 09 YC CL Jan 09 YC Apr '08 WL and POR Jan '07 BWI Nov '05 Swan Oct '03 CBR
tinkbyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

If you stay at the villas, there is a Community Hall with daily activities, crafts, video games, coloring stuff, etc. that they can do at any time of the day. You can check out DVDs and board games too (for a fee).

The main pool has daily activities like any other Disney resort.

The Boardwalk itself is just a shopping and restaurant area, so I wouldn't stay there for the Boardwalk entertainment. It's cute and fun to watch the performers. The carnival games are expensive, if they want to play carnival games then Animal Kingdom has better and cheaper.

We love the Boardwalk for it's location. We love taking the boat, eating at the different restaurants and shopping at all the shops. Even if we don't stay there, we make a point of going there for at least a day (we valet park).

But if you're going with the intention of "everything" is for the kids, then the Boardwalk isn't going to give you anything more or less than another Disney property. The value resorts are probably the most kid feeling if that's your goal.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Boardwalk used to have a lot more to do. But, as years went by, they started cutting back on the entertainment. Yes, there are still jugglers and magicians out, but they tend to be out for shorter periods of time, on fewer nights than before.
There are some carnival type games to be played. A lot of people seem to think that BW is a destination....sort of like the old DTD. But, that's just not the case. I think they have the performers out at night to make it feel more like the actual boardwalk area in NJ. There is some entertainment but not enough to make me want to go there just for that. And I own DVC at BWV!!! But I didn't buy there for the nighttime entertainment.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
annej

Mouseketeer

We did spend a nice afternoon there when our kids were younger. We took the boat from DHS where we had been for the morning. Then we got pizza at the pizza window. After that we rode the surrey bikes and then we had ice cream. Rode the boat back to DHS and finished the day there. I guess we kind of did it as a midday break. The kiddos enjoyed it and it was a nice break. We spent a couple of hours doing it.
1972 - Day trip with mom and dad! 1983 - EPCOT was new! 1988 - 2 day trip 1989 - Day trip on Honeymoon! October 2000 - Off Site January 2003 - WL Nov/Dec 2005 - POR/Poly January 2007 - POLY March 2008 - CR Tower - MK View! September 2008 - offsite/GF!! Feb 2009 - WL !April 2009 - GF - MK View! Nov 2009 - Adult only trip - Poly MK View Jan 2010 - Poly CL - MK View: March 2011 - CR TPV! Jan 2012 - Poly CL! Nov 2012 - POR/BLT Lakeview March 2013 - BWI with DH! October 2013 - BWI with DD and DMom! January 2014 - WL with the Hubby! October 2014 - CR Tower TPV!
Me DH DD22 DS18DSinLaw:29

annej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

There are some nice shops and places to eat on the BW. I agree with pps at going at night for the entertainment. I enjoy visiting the BW and have a nice time there.

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354
FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: