Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
AR81
DIS Veteran

Do you think the tour groups will be fading out this week and next. We leave in 8 days, Feb 19-23. I am going to the most recommended parks each day and trying to plan out our mornings and leaving the afternoons for less popular rides. Hope it works out, this is my 8 year old's first visit.
AR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
2012bella13
Mouseketeer

a while back, I asked a ? about tour groups for the last week in Febuary & someone said that most of the groups (BG) go in January & up to the middle of Febuary, that the last week of this month there should not be any.
I am hoping this is true!!
I have been planning this trip for awhile, & it might be our only trip for a long time, DD will be starting school & summer will not be an option for us.

Here is PIXIE DUST for low crowds
MAKE A WISH TRIP MAY 2011
2012bella13 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
Belle5
DIS Veteran

I am curious if the OP used any kind of crowd predictor when making plans. Personally, we try to avoid MK on weekends. Epcot is usually a good bet on the weekends if you must go into a park...

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012bella13 View Post
a while back, I asked a ? about tour groups for the last week in Febuary & someone said that most of the groups (BG) go in January & up to the middle of Febuary, that the last week of this month there should not be any.
I am hoping this is true!!
I have been planning this trip for awhile, & it might be our only trip for a long time, DD will be starting school & summer will not be an option for us.

Here is PIXIE DUST for low crowds
I don't know for sure. I have been the last week before and didn't see a single tour group. My understanding is that people from Brazil will be back in school but that Argentinians are out until March. Again, I didn't see any tour groups in Feb of 2011, but this year may be different.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

One thing Josh (easywdw.com) explained in a recent article/blog? on his site was how it is so much MORE important to pick your park days carefully when you go at a slow time of year than if you went in say, July. Because the hours are not extended every day, shows are not every day etc... people are much more likely to flock to the same park each day.

He actually showed this by going to the MK one day last week and it was MOBBED then showed the MK on a different day in the same week and everything was basically walk on.

I am sorry for everyone that had a rough time due to crowds. I would strongly encourage people with upcoming trips to check out the crowd calendars at easywdw.com

Under each month is a detailed explanation of why you should/shouldn't go to each park on certain days and why it is/isn't a good choice.

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
Lita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR81 View Post
Do you think the tour groups will be fading out this week and next. We leave in 8 days, Feb 19-23. I am going to the most recommended parks each day and trying to plan out our mornings and leaving the afternoons for less popular rides. Hope it works out, this is my 8 year old's first visit.
A lot of schools are out for President's week. I heard that is a very week at WDW. We almost went that week, but decided against it.
Lita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
CocosMeme
DIS Veteran

for future reference - always go to easywdw.com before arriving - check the monthly calendar for best parks of the day and follow Josh's advice. I think the OP may have gone to the worst park of the day without knowing it. I have been following his advice (before him it was TGM) and have never been sorry.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #23
DisneyFave
Mouseketeer

February is also Carnaval in many countries (if not all) in Latin America and the Caribbean. It is a big time to travel for them. The exact dates change each year and even by each city; for example, this year in Brazil it's Feb 8-12 for Rio de Janeiro and Feb. 7-13 in Salvador. In Venezuela, most people take this whole week (Feb. 11-15) off. I think the dates match up with the four days before we celebrate Mardi Gras, but they usually will take the whole week off or get the whole week off from their employers (sigh... other countries are so much more generous with vacation time...)

2014 - Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo House
2013 - Grand Floridian / Polynesian
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
2010, 2012 - Hilton WDW
1996, 1998 - Dixie Landings / Poly
1993 - Holiday Inn

Last edited by DisneyFave; 02-11-2013 at 03:22 PM.
DisneyFave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #24
disrev
Mouseketeer

On our way home from 2/3-2/10 trip. 2/3 was busy at MK (touring plans park to avoid) and HS was dead inthe evening for Fantasmic (Touring Plans recommended). On 2/10, all parks were crazy as predicted, but did AK at Rope drop then did MK rides during first Electrical Parade, then Wishes and 2nd parade was very sparse crowd in Frontierland.

Tour groups were very sweet to us and our kids. Chanting was crazy, but nothing worth whining about.

We had a blast. Missing it already.
Jan 2001 - Offsite Westgate Town Center; December 2003 - Offsite Knights Inn; November 2004 - Offsite Westgate Town Center (Universal Studios); November 2005 - Offsite Vacation Rental Home; October 2007 - POR; December 2008 - CSR; May 2009 - Offsite Marriot Grande Vista (Universal Studios); January 2010 - AKL; November 2010 - SSR; November 2011 - Offsite Westgate TC & Sheraton Vistana Resort; February 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort; November 2013 - AKL Kidani & Sheraton Vistana Resort; May 2014 - Anniversary Trip to Daytona Beach w/ 1 day at the parks; October 2014 - DIS Unplugged Photo Winner AoA

Last edited by disrev; 02-11-2013 at 03:50 PM.
disrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
2012bella13
Mouseketeer

I checked with Josh's & T.P. guide, that is how I picked the week we are going, & I am going to use them for which park to go to on what day. The only thing I see is that there is only 1 day which they differ on the best parks.
My DH said, we are not going to follow any schedule are we??
I just said not really, except for wednesday, we have reservations at Cinderella's Table for breakfast, this is a suggested day for that park, I checked before I made them. I have certain things at each park that we will want to do, the only major rides will be Buzz & Peter Pan. Getting there at RD might be a problem.
MAKE A WISH TRIP MAY 2011
2012bella13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #26
NotThatKevinSmith
Earning My Ears

I was there 2/1-2/9 and didn't think it was bad at all. We were also there in September 2012 (less crowded), December 2012 (slightly less crowded), May 2012 (more crowded) and July 2012 (much more crowded). What were you expecting?
NotThatKevinSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #27
NJ Stitch
Its always a good time for Disney

Oh boy hope there's no tours when I go, i will be down there on feb 27th-march 3rd. taking my fiance down for our first trip as a couple, so im hoping its not to bad. so sad to hear about the rude behavior of people, thats so ridiculous they blocked you on the bus
NJ Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #28
NotThatKevinSmith
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPSTER
On Saturday 2/9 the wait times were 75 minutes for Buzz, 90 for space mountain, 120 for under the sea which I thought was very cheesy, 90 for Big thunder mountain and about 45+ for Haunted Mansion. The weekdays were manageable in MK. On 2/2 it also was very crowded - we had to activate our passes at guest relations and the lines were unbelievable. Cast members were not expecting the crowds to be that large.
I was there on 2/9 as well. Space Mtn was closed all morning. So FastPass lines were crazy and the lines got crazy. I never saw 75 minutes for Buzz. I walked on with a 1 minute wait around 11am. Under The Sea was also broken for part of the day. So that messed it up. I waited 10 minutes for Haunted Mansion around Noon. Big Thunder Mtn also broke down.

I would say your problem wasn't with the crowds. More with rides breaking down a lot that day.
NotThatKevinSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #29
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Ok but Saturday 2/9 was listed as a 7 on Touring Plans, was a weekend and the park to avoid on both easywdw and TouringPlans. Those wait times are congruent with a not recommended park at a 7 and my guess is they were at peak times. Nothing surprising there.
It could be surprising if you don't use sites like Touring Plans or easywdw. Not everyone that goes uses these sites or knows about them.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #30
diddldonna
DIS Veteran

It looks like from research that this week alot of countries seem to have breaks all at the same time plus the cheer-leading competition at HS and world of sport see link below.
http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/sports/cheer/

I hope that the next few weeks bring less crowds, i expect them around presidents day but as long as we avoid MK then and go later on in the week it may help.

Past WDW Vacations: 2013 OKW, 2010 OKW, 2007 ASM, 2005 ASM, 2004 off site.
diddldonna is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: