Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #2341
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

[B]BethClayton[B] I wish we were at the GF last April, but that was not me. We were there in July.

Suem we love Sago. I have always stayed in the same room, 5427. It is not an adjoining room and not a dormer room. It overlooks the marina.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #2342
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Hello all!

I lurked on this thread for a bit before my trip...thanks so much for the helpful information!

I thought I'd post a mini-review...we were originally booked at the Polynesian for Marathon Weekend (reservation for 1/9/2013-1/14/2013). No discounts came out, so we gave up the reservation and switched to the GRAND! I truly thought we'd never get to stay here...we were so excited!

The CM at the front desk that checked me in, Nathan, was SO nice. We chatted for 5-10 minutes...the first of many great CM interactions we had that weekend.

When we booked our discounted room we ended up with a deluxe standard view. We were in Conch Key, room 7506 (building 7, floor 5, room 6).

(Sorry for the weird lighting...I'm just learning how to edit photos):

Vaulted ceilings!! Loved this.

And an extra seating area...I guess this is what makes this a "deluxe" room. We weren't expecting this at all.

Second TV in the cabinet:

No balcony in this room, but we did have a nice view.

Courtyard pool construction on January 9, 2013:

DVC construction on January 9, 2013...here's hoping we win the lottery so we can buy in!

And to our left...Narcoossee's, the Contemporary and Space Mountain!

The nightly movie played just outside our window, and we could heard the Electrical Pageant each night and the boat horns. But it was very quiet overall.

We have had some great rooms at Disney, but this is probably the best one of the bunch. The resort itself was WONDERFUL - I felt like the CMs here really went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and comfortable. It was our first time staying on the monorail - LOVED that, and loved taking the boats. Really liked Gaspirilla Island a lot.

The construction wasn't a big deal, and we were notified of it ahead of time by the resort, but I do have a small complaint. When I checked in I asked about hot tub access, thinking I would want it after the races (I ended up not having time for hot tubbing). Nathan told me that with the construction my only options were to go to the Contemporary and use their hot tub, or to use the hot tub at the Grand Floridian spa. But I could only use the spa if I paid $25 for a pass. That rubbed me the wrong way - we were staying in a discounted room but it's not like we still weren't paying a decent amount to stay there. Seems they could have waived the $25.

Overall, the Grand was fabulous. We loved it much more than we expected, and I really, REALLY miss it. We'll definitely be back.

Thank for letting me ramble on!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #2343
nalia
Earning My Ears

17 days till we arrive at the Grand. We are all getting excited. Still hoping they are making progress on the courtyard pool. Does anyone have any recent photos? Either way we can't wait!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #2344
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Ariel484-
Thanks so much for taking the time to post pictures of your recent stay at the Grand! Looks like you had a perfect room and view! A Deluxe room does include that extra seating area -- what a nice surprise since you weren't expecting it.

So glad you enjoyed your first stay and hope the Marathon was great for you as well! Sorry about the no Hot tub. It seems like they could have made an exception once-- I'm sure that would have been a welcome luxury after the run.

We have found that the CM's at the Grand are one of the reasons we return there- they just seem to really add to the experience. Glad that overall you found that to be the case.

Thanks again for the wonderful review!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #2345
butternut
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the great reviews. Just love love love the room and view. We are arriving March 14th fro the week and am hoping to have something as awesome. We are there on a conference and not sure if that helps or dampens our chances for a room with a view. Anyway im super excited. A question i asked once before but no response... Does anyone know if the coffee makers are single serve and if so is there any coffee pods i can bring from home to use instead of their terrible coffee ?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #2346
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut View Post
Thanks for the great reviews. Just love love love the room and view. We are arriving March 14th fro the week and am hoping to have something as awesome. We are there on a conference and not sure if that helps or dampens our chances for a room with a view. Anyway im super excited. A question i asked once before but no response... Does anyone know if the coffee makers are single serve and if so is there any coffee pods i can bring from home to use instead of their terrible coffee ?
The coffee makers are single serv flat pods, for sure not K-cups, but I don't know exactly what type to look for. They're circular and somewhat flat. Good luck!
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #2347
dvc at last !
DVC Member 2006!

I am in to read later...
'12-AKL~ '12-OKW~'13-OKW~'13-BCV~'14-OKW~
Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #2348
butternut
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
The coffee makers are single serv flat pods, for sure not K-cups, but I don't know exactly what type to look for. They're circular and somewhat flat. Good luck!
Thanks!! Ill go flat pod hunting!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #2349
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
It sounds like the coffee makers we've had at AKL in Aug, and POFQ recently. They are Cusinart single serve machines, but 2 sides, so you can make 2 cups at a time. The coffee is Cusinart as well, not the Nescafe.
I have heard WDW is discontinuing Nescafe Contract, and going with Jofferys. No idea when the change will happen.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #2350
butternut
Earning My Ears

Thank goodness for that!!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #2351
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M

It sounds like the coffee makers we've had at AKL in Aug, and POFQ recently. They are Cusinart single serve machines, but 2 sides, so you can make 2 cups at a time. The coffee is Cusinart as well, not the Nescafe.
I have heard WDW is discontinuing Nescafe Contract, and going with Jofferys. No idea when the change will happen.
Yes, that's what is there now...flat Cusinart pods in the room. Not bad at all!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #2352
Bezalel
Earning My Ears

T Minus 17 days....

Been lurking on the forums for a while, but we are 17 short days away from being at WDW. Staying March 1 - 5 w/ my bride and DS(12), DD(8), and DD(4).

This will be our first time at GF having stayed previously at WL and POFQ.

Was concerned about the construction, but from some of the most recent posts it seems like it won't be an issue.

Anything I should know or request as a first time guest at GF?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #2353
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

Also curious on the latest information regarding the status of construction. We aren't going until the end of April, but just looking for the latest updates.
Oct. 10 Poly * March 11 Beach Club * June 12 Grand Floridian *August 12 POR Royal Room and Yacht Club April 26-May 5 2013 CSR and Poly- 1st Time trying Club Level July 2013 Yacht Club January 2014 Animal Kingdom LodgeMarch 2014 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Spring Business Class
April 2014 Grand Floridian July 2014 Wilderness Lodge Club Level
CRUISES August 2013 Disney Dream March 2014 Disney Magic*
*April 2014 Disney Dream* UpcomingNovember 2014 Disney Fantasy

ADVENTURES BY DISNEY - MAY 2014 Viva Italia

NEW April/May 2013 Family and Friends at Disney Beautiful Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t7VhbD8do
Summer 2012 WDW Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxyUicMy5w
March 2011 WDW Vacation Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjlGPQ_CQ4
May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4
Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #2354
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceesmom View Post
Also curious on the latest information regarding the status of construction. We aren't going until the end of April, but just looking for the latest updates.
There are some new photos at wdwnewstoday.com. There's a shot of the CY pool but it doesn't reveal anything. There's a crane of some sort. Maybe it's there to move in some very heavy beach chairs?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #2355
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
[B]BethClayton[B] I wish we were at the GF last April, but that was not me. We were there in July.

Suem we love Sago. I have always stayed in the same room, 5427. It is not an adjoining room and not a dormer room. It overlooks the marina.
Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalia View Post
17 days till we arrive at the Grand. We are all getting excited. Still hoping they are making progress on the courtyard pool. Does anyone have any recent photos? Either way we can't wait!
Ariel just posted pics of the Courtyard pool. We were just there for Narcossees dinner and walked around. Pool looks the same, still behind screens and screens are still up along beach. I hope the beach screens will be down by our Aug stay!! The courtyard pool I heard will re open by March?
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: