Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Sabz
Earning My Ears

Question Lots of dining help needed!

Hello all,

In a few weeks, we'll be headed to Disney for 3 days as an early birthday present for my soon to be 4 year old! We've been to Disney a few times, but we're sort of going all out by our standards for this trip!

We have the standard dining plan and made reservations for lunch at Akershus while we're at Epcot and lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern while we're at Magic Kingdom. I'm looking for suggestions for Lunch or Dinner while we're at Animal Kingdom. We're also staying at AKL and I'm toying with the idea of just having dinner at Boma instead. I'm kind of stuck between Boma, Tusker House, and Yak & Yeti. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm looking for the best counter service meals at Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom. I'm pregnant, so I can eat a lot! My only aversions are cheesy stuff (like mac and cheese) and I don't eat red meat or pork. My husband isn't picky and my daughter is the odd child who prefers veggies/salads over standard kids meals. I'm trying to eat as healthy as I possibly can! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Sabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabz View Post
Hello all,

In a few weeks, we'll be headed to Disney for 3 days as an early birthday present for my soon to be 4 year old! We've been to Disney a few times, but we're sort of going all out by our standards for this trip!

We have the standard dining plan and made reservations for lunch at Akershus while we're at Epcot and lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern while we're at Magic Kingdom. I'm looking for suggestions for Lunch or Dinner while we're at Animal Kingdom. We're also staying at AKL and I'm toying with the idea of just having dinner at Boma instead. I'm kind of stuck between Boma, Tusker House, and Yak & Yeti. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm looking for the best counter service meals at Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom. I'm pregnant, so I can eat a lot! My only aversions are cheesy stuff (like mac and cheese) and I don't eat red meat or pork. My husband isn't picky and my daughter is the odd child who prefers veggies/salads over standard kids meals. I'm trying to eat as healthy as I possibly can! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
All three restaurants in AKLodge (Boma, Sanaa, & Jiko) are highly rated at their price points. Maybe look into the restaurant with Savannah view (if not available from your room).

No need for you to do any excess traveling and your 4 y.o. will just be happy seeing you happy near the hotel swimming pool.

Magic Kingdom
-- Columbia Harbor House has a Lighthouse Sandwich made of houmus & broccoli slaw. Steamed broccoli is a choice to replace side of fries; additional fare includes fried fish and vegetarian chili. Avoid the lobster roll. Eat upstairs and you might forget you're in a fast food place.

-- Sleepy Hollow serves waffles (with spiced chicken at lunch), funnel cakes, coffee (decaf?) & chocolate drinks, and ice cream treats. A prized location and menu for any expecting mother & 4 y.o..

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

We had dinner at Boma when my now DS 7 was 4 and he LOVED it! He ate 4 bowls of the chicken pumpkin soup they were serving that night. All 6 of my kids are fairly adventurous eaters and Boma was one of their favorites.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

because you are going during Presidents week I believe...you should go to the dining area and see if there are any times available for that day when you are in AK...
ALSO ...CS at each park and are listed in the dining blogs..we love Cosmic rays at MK ...you could have chicken and potatoes and vegetables there and the meal is great...they also have great selections..
In AK, we love Pizzafari and also Flame Tree BBQ...you could have some decent options for cs...
Epcot...in the Land near Soarin....the selections there are awesome..
In World Showcase, we love to go to China and Japan for CS and also UK for fish and chips...

Hope you have a great time ...

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Sabz
Earning My Ears

We're actually arriving the last week of Feb! I did my research and found that was the calm before the Spring break storm, lol. My daughter's birthday is actually the last week of March, but I know it's a mad house then!

I've been diligently checking the reservation availability for every restaurant prospect on the Disney website as well.

Thank you!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCubed View Post
All three restaurants in AKLodge (Boma, Sanaa, & Jiko) are highly rated at their price points. Maybe look into the restaurant with Savannah view (if not available from your room).

No need for you to do any excess traveling and your 4 y.o. will just be happy seeing you happy near the hotel swimming pool.

Magic Kingdom
-- Columbia Harbor House has a Lighthouse Sandwich made of houmus & broccoli slaw. Steamed broccoli is a choice to replace side of fries; additional fare includes fried fish and vegetarian chili. Avoid the lobster roll. Eat upstairs and you might forget you're in a fast food place.

-- Sleepy Hollow serves waffles (with spiced chicken at lunch), funnel cakes, coffee (decaf?) & chocolate drinks, and ice cream treats. A prized location and menu for any expecting mother & 4 y.o..

Sleepy Hollow does not participate in the QS plan for meals. They do have some snacks you can use snack credits for, but not meals and not the waffle sandwiches.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Sabz
Earning My Ears

Thanks all for the suggestions and tips.

I'm a bit worried about my daughter eating, because she's been super picky and on an all veggie kick lately.

I looked at Boma's menu and I'm not sure how much of that she would actually eat.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
MegN529
Mouseketeer

We really enjoyed Yak & Yeti. I found their options to be really fresh. I am not a red meat eater myself and I am also pregnant and really liked it last time. I think they have a veggie stir fry- perhaps your daughter would like that?

MegN529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

When my DS was 4 (he will be 8 in March ) we had dinner at Boma and he loved it. He ate 4 bowls of the soup they had that night, a pumpkin chicken soup. There were a lot of choices, I don't think any of my kids ate anything off of the "childs" buffet.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
Sabz
Earning My Ears

I love Chinese food and have craved it a few times during my pregnancy and the menu struck a cord with me...

I was wondering also about the best birthday treat at a restaurant. I'm telling every single restaurant it's my DD's birthday.

How are the birthday desserts at LTT and Akershus? And is there a particular restaurant that really does it big?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
MegN529
Mouseketeer

We were there for DS birthday last May. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe each restaurant brought him a cupcake that was pretty similar from place to place. Great choice on Akershus-my kids loved it!

MegN529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
kimber11
Kimberley

My husband, our kids and I all really enjoyed the Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom actually. We have 4 year old boy/girl twins and a 7 year old daughter. They enjoyed it even more then the character meals I think. They thought seeing the animals in there was so cool and it really was one of the best meals we had out of our 7 table services we did during our trip. We ate there for lunch.
kimber11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: