Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #151
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Dole Whips - got one once and I had no idea what the rave was about. It was ok but I don't think I'll feel the need to get another one ever.

POR - it was nice but, meh. I MUCH prefer CBR!

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #152
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcarolinafan View Post
But you raised my eyebrow when you remarked "I just want the shortest most direct path from outside attraction to inside attraction - I don't need the extra distractions."

To me, the "extra distractions" are really the biggest part of the WDW magic. If we didn't have those, we would simply be moving from A to B, ignoring the wonderful sights along the way.
I'll clarify a bit. I meant the most direct route from the entrance at the outside of the attraction to the load area/show area. For example, I don't need or want an interactive queue at HM. I want to just walk under the canopy, wait a minute or two for the doors to open, and then start the great attraction experience. I don't feel it adds to my WDW experience to have to weave back and forth through the interactive queue. That couple of minutes waiting for the doors to open was always plenty of time to view the tombstones by the door if I got bored.

I very much like the extra details and theming throughout the parks. In fact, sometimes I'll just spend time wandering through the parks soaking it all in. I don't mind the details walking from POC to HM. I just don't want to be slowed down getting into HM when I arrive.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #153
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

for me :
Peter pan- I don't get the hype
dole whip- I like but to me it's just pineapple soft serve

I usually spend part of day in DTD, I find it's nicer calmer during day.
I personally loved BBB, for me it was chance to feel like a princess, I grew up w clueless mom in makeup dept, and still can't put makeup on to save my life. Yes I could prob go to Spa and get same feeling but there is just something that calls to me about bbb.

I personally like trex cafe and can take or leave rainforest cafe. ( I live in state of none). I guess I look at it this way I can go to Chicago or Detroit for rain forest but only 2 trex in USA.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #154
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by augusta1 View Post
Pop century Tie Dye Cheesecake
Totally agree. Actually taking a shot of straight food coloring would have been preferable; at least there would have been fewer calories in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Disney Mom View Post
Zebra Domes... ick
Yep. They are not horrible, but I do not get the hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
I love watching little girls rock the second and third day of a BBB hairdo. They start to look like tiny demented killer ballerinas, and it's absolutely adorable.
I heart you for this!

Other hyped things I can't understand:

Le Cellier. Seriously, what is so great about this one? And they keep feeding the hype by "upping" the credits and such.

Chef Mickeys. Blech.

Fantasmic. I have seen it many times, and still cannot understand the crowds. It's a dream, I get it, but still it is too disjointed and doesn't satisfy for the time investment you have to make to see it.

HBD's Grapefruit Cake.

Cinderella's Royal Table. This one mystifies me. I guess it gets a little credit for being inside the castle, but still... the food is subpar, the couple of times we've gone in recent years (someone else's idea each time) the service has been bad, and overall it is a waste of resources - both time and money - to me.

I actually like Dole Whip and Soarin, so those don't make my list.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #155
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
I love watching little girls rock the second and third day of a BBB hairdo. They start to look like tiny demented killer ballerinas, and it's absolutely adorable.
Okay, not only did I laugh out loud at this, I actually snorted! (This is extra embarrassing because I'm sneaking a few minutes on the DIS on my iPad at work - thank goodness everyone is in a meeting and no one witnessed my inelegant snort!)

"Tiny demented killer ballerinas" - what a hoot!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #156
eastcarolinafan
When I put on my Mickey ears I can hear Small World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
Turkey Legs for me as well.. they just look gross and people eating them tend to look like cannibals. (They don't sell these in WDW, but I feel the same way about people who pay $6 for a giant pickle and eat that while walking around)
They don't sell turkey legs in the Magic Kingdom? Now, I may have been in a tryptophan-induced haze, but I thought this picture was taken in the MK, somewhere around the landing to go to Tom Sawyer's Island. That would be me tearing into my very first gorgeous smoked turkey leg. I should note that just prior to that picture being taken, my friend's 14 year old son tried to move in on that bird and I dang near snatched him bald.
It should also be noted that the boy's mom is a serious vegetarian who said she was tempted by the wonderful aroma of the smoked turkey. There was nothing "slimey" or gross about it. Just a man and a turkey leg. I can't make the connection between a turkey leg and cannibalism, so you're on your own there.

But honestly, I thought I was in MK when I was chowing
on that bird. Perhaps some of the more experienced Disers can tell mewhere I really am in thispicture.

2008, Carribbean Beach Resort (my first trip to WDW!; 2009, Port Orleans Riverside; 2012, Coranado Springs; and in 2014, Sophie's Polynesian extavaganza
eastcarolinafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #157
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
They don't sell turkey legs in the Magic Kingdom? Now, I may have been in a tryptophan-induced haze, but I thought this picture was taken in the MK, somewhere around the landing to go to Tom Sawyer's Island. That would be me tearing into my very first gorgeous smoked turkey leg. I should note that just prior to that picture being taken, my friend's 14 year old son tried to move in on that bird and I dang near snatched him bald.

It should also be noted that the boy's mom is a serious vegetarian who said she was tempted by the wonderful aroma of the smoked turkey. There was nothing "slimey" or gross about it. Just a man and a turkey leg. I can't make the connection between a turkey leg and cannibalism, so you're on your own there.

on that bird. Perhaps some of the more experienced Disers can tell mewhere I really am in thispicture.
I think the previous poster was referring to the giant pickle not being sold at WDW, not the turkey legs.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #158
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:

I think Chuckers meant the pickles, not the turkey legs
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #159
richmo
DIS Veteran

Actually, I didn't realize Earl of Sandwich was a chain until recently. I've since seen them at the Chesapeake House on I-95 in Maryland and at PHL airport. Its one of the best values at Downtown Disney.

Anyway, back to the OP question...

Most overrated:

Food: Zebra Domes at Boma. I've tried them a few times; just not my taste. Now I don't bother. (Love Boma for both dinner and breakfast though!)

Attraction: Peter Pan - For the life of me, I don't get the lines it generates. Its OK, but not worth the time (and I've got better things to do with FPs)

Nighttime show: MSEP. Not to say I think its overrated, but I preferred Spectromagic.

"Event": Rope drop. I'm on vacation to, among other things, get away from setting alarms.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #160
stindall
Congress Tart

I have to agree with Turkey Legs although I wasn't aware a lot of people actually liked them. They smell amazing but don't taste that way...and I like meat!

Non-food I'd say any parade. They're so boring!

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #161
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Turkey kegs are sold in Frontierland, river side of park and giant pickles (not exactly giant) sold in small farmers market area in Liberty Square!

Though turkey legs are awful to eat, smell and look at... The pickles are extra cold and cheap!!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #162
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
I'll clarify a bit. I meant the most direct route from the entrance at the outside of the attraction to the load area/show area. For example, I don't need or want an interactive queue at HM. I want to just walk under the canopy, wait a minute or two for the doors to open, and then start the great attraction experience. I don't feel it adds to my WDW experience to have to weave back and forth through the interactive queue. That couple of minutes waiting for the doors to open was always plenty of time to view the tombstones by the door if I got bored.

I very much like the extra details and theming throughout the parks. In fact, sometimes I'll just spend time wandering through the parks soaking it all in. I don't mind the details walking from POC to HM. I just don't want to be slowed down getting into HM when I arrive.
My feelings exactly.

Themed queue: Great! Helps you to imagine you're in another world! (PotC, etc.)
Interactive queue: Waste of time and money, usually detracts from the experience. (Space Mountain, etc.)
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #163
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydiva1313 View Post
Dole whips and turkey legs...I just don't get it.

Well, not at the same time... yuck.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #164
casanova5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers

Well, not at the same time... yuck.
Lol omg
Old 02-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #165
glassslippergirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8torphan
I'm sure this one won't go over well:
Staying on site -- such a waste of $ IMO. I want freedom and space on my vacation. Being tied to someone else's transportation just doesn't work for me. And the rooms are tiny. EMH are a joke. Just not my thing I guess.
&
HS
very meh, but I've only been once. Got there around 3pm and still feel like I did it all.
I wasn't going to reply to this thread because I thought I was the only one in the world with this opinion. We always drive to Orlando, so we have access to a car throughout the trip. There are plenty of off-site hotels that are a lot cheaper and nicer than the value resorts. And driving to the parks is so much easier than waiting for busses to the values and moderates. If we could afford to stay in deluxes each time, we would. Until then, I'd rather save the $$ for more trips to Disney World.

I also don't get Festival of the Lion King.

I have loved Duffy since he was first introduced a few years ago. I've always loved teddy bears, and Duffy is so cute and soft. My son got his book for Christmas. I don't get the ending where (spoiler) Minnie starts mass producing the bears. I feel like the book ends like this: "Minnie was smart, so she outsourced production to Bangladesh..."
glassslippergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: