Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Second family suing Disneyland: Claims Donald Duck is racist

Here is another one...

http:// www. examiner. com/article/second-family-suing-disneyland-claims-donald-duck-is-racist

Disneyland is being sued for the second time in a week by a family accusing its characters of being racist. First, it was a family that said the White Rabbit was being racist toward their children. Now, it was revealed on Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013, that a different family has said they were discriminated against by Donald Duck because they are black.

Nastastia White has said that her husband took their son, Ryder, to Disneyland back in December to celebrate his birthday. They were having a great time in the park until five-year-old Razzi White walked up to Donald Duck to get a picture taken.

SEE: Family suing Disneyland claiming the White Rabbit is racist

It was then that, according to the family, Donald Duck snubbed Razzi and played with some other children, that were white.

Nastasia White told ABC 10 News that the person in the Donald Duck costume repeatedly ignored their requests to take a picture with Razzi and two-year-old Ryder. The family says that Donald just kept on playing with white children.

White said: "He was sitting there with his arms open, saying, 'Donald, Donald!'" But when Razzi went up to him he walked away to play with a white baby in a stroller.

White said they waited for a few minutes until Razzi's turn to be with Donald Duck came up, but the character continued to snub the kid. Nastasia White even said that the parents of a white baby noticed and told Donald to play with Razzi, but Donald still didn't want to do so.

After repeated attempts, the family moved on.

Nastasia said: "I was upset and hurt. He was very sad."

She told ABC 10 that Razzi asked her: "Why didn't Donald want to take a picture with me?" Nastasia said she could not answer her son because she felt so humiliated that "Inside, I wanted to cry. This was discrimination."

She claims that Donald's behavior was so brazen that it was impossible that the family misread the situation. She said: "I didn't [misread the situation] because it was done in a blatant and ugly way."

Dan Gilleon, the attorney representing the family, says that the Whites are suing Disney for violating "California's Unruh Civil Rights Act, which prohibits discrimination based on race, sex, and other qualities."

Gilleon is the same attorney representing the Black family that claims the White Rabbit ignored their children at Disneyland.

For e-mail updates whenever a new article is posted, please subscribe at the bottom of the page and follow me on Twitter: @CapnDanny, GooglePlus, or join my group on Facebook and The World of Disney - WDW and Back Again.

Be sure to visit Doctor Disney for all the Disney talk and news you need.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Mrs Eeyore
Mouseketeer

I haven't had coffee yet so am compelled to make the following silly remarks. Forgive me. I promise to regret it after caffeine.

1. Note that the two perpetrators are white-skinned/furred/feathered. Coincidence?

2. Wasn't Donald also involved in a groping incident recently? He's obviously a problem duck.

3. How odd that the two families happen to be named Black and White.

Seriously, I am fairly sure that these characters have positive interactions with hundreds of people bearing the full spectrum of skin tones every day. I have a hard time believing that anyone could be singled out because of race in an international, multi-ethnic crowd like we see at the parks. I'd like to hear Donald's side of the story but unfortunately I've never been able to understand him. I suspect he'd quack something about the family not observing meet and greet protocol.

Mrs Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
ChoppityChops
Mouseketeer

As an astute expert in people-watching, I've concluded that the vast majority of character "rudeness" (ignoring or mere cursory attention to particular children) is due not to their appearance or ethnicity, but to the way they (or unfortunately their parents) are behaving. I know. It's shocking.
ChoppityChops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
As an astute expert in people-watching, I've concluded that the vast majority of character "rudeness" (ignoring or mere cursory attention to particular children) is due not to their appearance or ethnicity, but to the way they (or unfortunately their parents) are behaving. I know. It's shocking.
Actually, the majority of ignoring I have seen is because the CMs in costume can't see or hear well.

Why don't these stories mention the handlers? Aren't there handlers with every character?
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
RoyalMom
Mouseketeer

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that this family may not have been waiting in line, perhaps walked right up? It may well be protocol for costumed characters to not react to line jumpers.

i don't know. not enough information.

DH Me DD8 DD6 DS3
RoyalMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Disneykidsdad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Eeyore View Post
I haven't had coffee yet so am compelled to make the following silly remarks. Forgive me. I promise to regret it after caffeine.

1. Note that the two perpetrators are white-skinned/furred/feathered. Coincidence?

2. Wasn't Donald also involved in a groping incident recently? He's obviously a problem duck.3. How odd that the two families happen to be named Black and White.

Seriously, I am fairly sure that these characters have positive interactions with hundreds of people bearing the full spectrum of skin tones every day. I have a hard time believing that anyone could be singled out because of race in an international, multi-ethnic crowd like we see at the parks. I'd like to hear Donald's side of the story but unfortunately I've never been able to understand him. I suspect he'd quack something about the family not observing meet and greet protocol.

That's what happens when you let him run around with no pants on!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
Why don't these stories mention the handlers? Aren't there handlers with every character?
You seldom ever see a Character Attendant at Disneyland like you do at The World. Was really surprised the first time (2010) I went to DLR and Mickey & Minnie were just roaming free in Town Sq., not a Character Att. in sight.

Was back there a couple of months ago and characters just walking around alone throughout the park.

If we didn't have CA's at WDW the guests would rip the costumes off the characters.

Best I ever saw though, was the small boy, maybe 4, that brought some nuts in a sandwich bag to feed to Chip & Dale. Priceless.
11290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

That's not the families' real last name, is it? White? The other family's last name was Black.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
wdwmom3
Mouseketeer

While it is very unfortunate that there are plenty of racist people out there so the story is possible. I find it interesting that there is no mention of them trying to contact disney management first to resolve the situation. I know that would be my first stop. The fact that they go right to suing Disney makes me very suspicious.
wdwmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Weird coincidences with the last names. I haven't read this stories word for word but does seem suspect.

Oh by the way, Superman didn't hug me the other day at Six Flags, only the kids. I might sue him. And get this...my last name is Clark. Really!! That's a weird coincidence also!
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013 *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS - 2013 *TOKYO DL* Offsite - 2014
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

This whole thing seems silly. I would bet it is either a case of
A. Characters honestly didn't see them (has happened to me and I am 5'3!)
B. Kids were line jumping, in which case the characters are supposed to not interact with them

Another thought I had. How do you know who is in the costume? I mean, how silly are they going to feel if it turns out it wasn't some white guy?

monorailrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post

White said: "He was sitting there with his arms open, saying, 'Donald, Donald!'" But when Razzi went up to him he walked away to play with a white baby in a stroller.

White said they waited for a few minutes until Razzi's turn to be with Donald Duck came up, but the character continued to snub the kid. Nastasia White even said that the parents of a white baby noticed and told Donald to play with Razzi, but Donald still didn't want to do so.

After repeated attempts, the family moved on.
Sounds like line jumping to me. It looks like ( based only what is quoted above) that Razzi ran up to Donald before it was his turn because they said that they waied for his turn and the character "continued" to snub them.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
matthewclabaugh
I Love Disney!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailrabbit
This whole thing seems silly. I would bet it is either a case of
A. Characters honestly didn't see them (has happened to me and I am 5'3!)
B. Kids were line jumping, in which case the characters are supposed to not interact with them

Another thought I had. How do you know who is in the costume? I mean, how silly are they going to feel if it turns out it wasn't some white guy?
It probably will turn out in both cases that a black guy was inside the costumes... then how will they claim racism?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
meowmarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
You seldom ever see a Character Attendant at Disneyland like you do at The World. Was really surprised the first time (2010) I went to DLR and Mickey & Minnie were just roaming free in Town Sq., not a Character Att. in sight.

Was back there a couple of months ago and characters just walking around alone throughout the park.
We noticed the same thing as well, and it's what I remembered as a kid! I always thought I must have been remembering wrong, it was actually kind of cool to see them walking around, it really feels like you're in a fairytale land. At any rate, I want to see how this story plays out. I find the name coincidence really odd, I would say it's either a misunderstanding or they are flat out lying.

11/14 OKW ~ 2/13 POP ~ 2/12 DLR ~ 12/09 POP ~ 8/08 FWC ~ 6 pre-2000 trips (I've lost track!)
meowmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmarie View Post
We noticed the same thing as well, and it's what I remembered as a kid! I always thought I must have been remembering wrong, it was actually kind of cool to see them walking around, it really feels like you're in a fairytale land. At any rate, I want to see how this story plays out. I find the name coincidence really odd, I would say it's either a misunderstanding or they are flat out lying.
That's one of the things I find so magical at Disneyland. You're just walking around and suddenly Peter Pan is beside you, or any of the characters!

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: