Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
rdevine10
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them- Walt Disney

Please help with Gluten Free Counter Service

Hi all!

Well, we bit the bullet and booked a trip for April yesterday! We are so excited to go back to the World, as its been a while!

But, this will be our 1st trip there since I have gone gluten free for some health issues.

We ultimelty decided to do the regular dining plan as I know table service will be much easier for my food limitations, and the snacks should be pretty easy as well.

I am however most concerned about counter service options.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of items that are safe and what locations are best? I dont neccesarily want to eat a lot of gluten free replacements- I would rather just order items that are safe as is off the menu.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!!!!!!
Too many childhood trips to count. 9/00- ASMovies, 5/05- Pop, 9/06- Pop, 9/07- Pop, 5/08-AKL & Summer Bay, 9/08- Pop, 4/09-Nick Hotel & Caribe Royal, 4/10-Bonnet Creek, 9/10- Pop, 4/11 Disney Dream Cruise-4night (Nassau & Castaway Cay x 2) & Bonnet Creek, 4/12 Carnival Legend Cruise (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize & Cozumel) & CBR, 4/13- Bonnet Creek 8/13- Daytona Beach, RCCL Enchantment of the Seas (Nassau & Coco Cay) & Art of Animation! 4/2014- Carnival Freedom (Key West, Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman) & Caribe Royal

rdevine10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Dis703
DIS Veteran

If you email Special.Diets@Disneyworld.com they will send you a list of all the restaurants and what gluten free products they carry. You can generally order a GF item anywhere, but some may take longer than others to accomodate. I know on Disney's website when you look up descriptions of counter service options there is usually one at each park designated to be more allergy friendly. If I can find my list I'll come back and post which ones they are supposed to be.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Moose Mom
Earning My Ears

I don't have a list but any counter service restaurant will be able to accomodate you. I have been to Cosmic Rays several times where the chicken is fine and they will bake fries for you. We also love Flame Tree BBQ in AK and Sunshine seasons in Epcot. The one tip I would give is arrive before or after the crowd because in most places a manager will take your order and then they prepare it Special. Have Fun!
Moose Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
gladdiola
Earning My Ears

I have a family member with multiple food allergies/intolerances, including gluten/wheat. I received the following list from Special Diets on 12/30/12:

"The quick-service locations listed below have menu items or products
that, upon request, may accommodate common food allergy or intolerance
requirements.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park:
- Restaurantosaurus
- Flame Tree Barbecue
- Pizzafari

Disney's Hollywood Studios:
- Backlot Express
- Studios Catering Co.
- ABC Commissary
- Toy Story Pizza Planet

Epcot:
- Liberty Inn
- Sunshine Seasons
- Electric Umbrella

Magic Kingdom Park:
- Be Our Guest (Lunch Only)
- Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café
- Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn & Café
- Main Street Bakery
- Columbia Harbor House
- The Pinocchio Village House
- Casey's Corner"

Hope this helps!
gladdiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

I just got back from WDW and I am GF. I ate breakfast at Mara ( we stayed at AKL) and they even made me GF waffles. Had lunch at Cosmic Ray's, Be Our Guest..they even brought me a GF dessert..YUMMY experience..Fame Tree, Electric Umbrella, Mexico, FountainView for ice cream ( they even had Rice Dream if one is DF too)_..I was so impressed with every place I was at. Without my asking at Fountain View, they got my ice cream from a new contianer, got my cup from a new plastic wrap, used a seperate scoop, and opened a new chocolate sauce bottle. Other snacks I had were Dole float, OMG brownies.

The cs i went to had a seperate fryer to make fries etc, had a gf bun, manager oversaw entire process. TS I went to Crystal Palace and was very impressed..chef walked me through what I could eat and then got my food from the back to avoid cross contamination. Jiko had a seperate menu and made me seperate bread/cracker for the Taste of Africa ..

Great experience!

Last edited by geffric; 02-09-2013 at 05:14 PM.
geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I understand you'd like to be able to order things as-is without having to wait, but you need to consider cross contamination. Just how gluten free are you? If you aren't worried at all about cross contamination then your plan is fine, but if you do avoid all traces of gluten then you really should ask for the manager at CS locations anyway so that your food can be prepared using fresh gloves in an area that is free of gluten.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
rdevine10
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them- Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
I understand you'd like to be able to order things as-is without having to wait, but you need to consider cross contamination. Just how gluten free are you? If you aren't worried at all about cross contamination then your plan is fine, but if you do avoid all traces of gluten then you really should ask for the manager at CS locations anyway so that your food can be prepared using fresh gloves in an area that is free of gluten.
You are right about cross contamination, but I am not overly concerned. I do not have a GI issue with wheat, it aggravates an autoimmune disorder I have. As long as I avoid it, I do MUCH better! However, it is not a true allergy.
Too many childhood trips to count. 9/00- ASMovies, 5/05- Pop, 9/06- Pop, 9/07- Pop, 5/08-AKL & Summer Bay, 9/08- Pop, 4/09-Nick Hotel & Caribe Royal, 4/10-Bonnet Creek, 9/10- Pop, 4/11 Disney Dream Cruise-4night (Nassau & Castaway Cay x 2) & Bonnet Creek, 4/12 Carnival Legend Cruise (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize & Cozumel) & CBR, 4/13- Bonnet Creek 8/13- Daytona Beach, RCCL Enchantment of the Seas (Nassau & Coco Cay) & Art of Animation! 4/2014- Carnival Freedom (Key West, Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman) & Caribe Royal

rdevine10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
WebmasterLeah

DISboards Moderator

The gluten free chicken nuggets at Columbia Harbour House are really good! Much better than the regular chicken nuggets, although you will wait about 10 minutes. The baked fries are great too.
I've found the counter service restaurants to be very knowledgeable and accommodating. They have a book they will bring out, so you can see any ingredients that is in the food. Normally the manager goes back and prepares the food themselves (or has a dedicated person do it), so it is made completely separate from everything else.
I don't think the GF hamburger buns are very good, I would just get a sandwich without it.
I did think the GF pizza crust at Pizza Planet was very tasty.
The chefs at the value resorts have always been very accommodating as well and will make waffles specially for you. The GF brownies on property are great!

WebmasterLeah is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: