Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #766
chiefmickeymouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
If you are up for young adult I would recommend go ask Alice I keep hearing how good it is not that I have read it yet
Thanks, I read that one in high school...pretty good, but depressing. I finished Sharp Objects and stated The Shoemaker's Wife. I guess that is number 8 for me.
chiefmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #767
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Yay! I found the first book in the Chief Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny! It's called Still Life, and it introduces the reader to the residents of Three Pines, a little town in Quebec that is so small it's not even on any map. I'm going to read it as soon as I'm finished with the one I'm reading about the lives of Londoners in the lead up to and the first year or so of WWII.

I read two others in Penny's series (unfortunately out of order), and I bought two more, which I WILL read in order. I hope I'll then be caught up and have everything in this series straight in my mind.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #768
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 50 books

Book #14 - "Daddy's Girl" by Lisa Scottoline

This was a great murder mystery. Law professor, Nat, is invited to give a workshop at the prison. While there, a riot breaks out, and she stumbles upon a dying guard. He whispers in her ear "Tell my wife it's under the floor." This starts her upon a mystery where her life is on the line.

I enjoyed the book quite a bit! Not great literature, but it was a fun, quick read.

Next up: "Life is So Good" by Richard Glaubman. I'm also still plugging away at "Team of Rivals." I swear I'm going to finish that book!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #769
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

bloody mary
Start with a tough but vulnerable Chicago cop. Add a hyperactive cat, an ailing mother, a jealous boyfriend, a high-maintenance ex-husband, and a partner in the throes of a mid-life crisis.

Stir in a psychopath littering the city with body parts. Mix with equal parts humor and suspense, and enjoy Bloody Mary--the second novel in the funny, frightening world of Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels.

Join Jack as she struggles to repair her train wreck of a personal life while tracking down and convicting one of the scariest serial killers in recent memory--a killer for whom getting caught is only the beginning...

Was a good book, kept me guessing right up to the end, and darn it made me which was bad considering my freind was sleeping next to me
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #770
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 6 of 30: Party Crashers by Stephanie Bond

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 67 of 75:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harm’s Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddy’s Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2, Her Last Breath, One Lavender Ribbon, Innocent in Las Vegas, Saving Grace, To Kill For, Awakening, City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, City of Heavenly Fire, A Break of Day, The Gray and Guilty Sea, Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes, The Profiler, Too Close To Home, Hushabye, The Girl Who Never Came Back, Fatal Debt, Deadly Bonds, Kill The Competition, Got Your Number, In Deep Voodoo, Crazy Little Things, My Sister’s Grave, Invisible, Taken, Love and Decay, Episode 1, Darkhouse
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #771
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippitydoo View Post
Book 6 of 30: Party Crashers by Stephanie Bond
what??? no review? (kidding)
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:36 AM   #772
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #12 To Those We Love Most by Lee Woodruff

Review: This book is very sad and deals with the themes of loss, forgiveness and resilience. The book centers on a family, Roger and Margaret and their daughter Maura. Maura is married to Pete and has three children. Everything seems relatively normal but for a brief moment, a horrible tragedy occurs that sends the family in turmoil. Maura's son James is killed in an accident and through this death, the cracks in the image of the perfect family begins to show. Not only does Maura have to deal with sadness, guilt and a secret but her husband's alcoholism. Margaret, the perfect wife and mother has been quietly putting up with her husband's infidelity while Roger is feeling out of place in the world he knows.

Now, the book seems dramatic but the fact is the family deals with their loss, grief and problems in quiet. There are no outbursts and overt drama but the 'To Those We Love Most' shows how in one second, things can change.

Would I recommend it...yes, but please be warned that this book is very sad and deals with topics like death and infidelity.
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #773
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey View Post
bloody mary
Start with a tough but vulnerable Chicago cop. Add a hyperactive cat, an ailing mother, a jealous boyfriend, a high-maintenance ex-husband, and a partner in the throes of a mid-life crisis.

Stir in a psychopath littering the city with body parts. Mix with equal parts humor and suspense, and enjoy Bloody Mary--the second novel in the funny, frightening world of Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels.

Join Jack as she struggles to repair her train wreck of a personal life while tracking down and convicting one of the scariest serial killers in recent memory--a killer for whom getting caught is only the beginning...

Was a good book, kept me guessing right up to the end, and darn it made me which was bad considering my freind was sleeping next to me
The Jack Daniels series is very good!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 40/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #774
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Just finished go ask Alice in a nut shell is about a girl adduced to drugs and you get to see the world from her point of view
Old 02-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #775
smkiya
Sorta new. ;) Still gets a tag
THREADJACKER ALERT!

I'm in! I will try for 20 books this year.

My first book is The Night Circus. It just came in the mail yesterday. I ordered Ender's Game, and that should be here next week.

I have the following books on my list, and will regularly update based on recommendations from you guys.

11/22/63
Under the Dome
Rush Home Road
The Great Gatsby
smkiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #776
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

double post...

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You

Currently reading: #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Last edited by threeboysmom; 02-11-2013 at 01:13 PM.
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #777
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMommyMichelle View Post
Thank you!!! I am excited to join!!! It's really not that difficult. I am a total bibliophile and can always be found with 3 books on my person, not to mention my nook! (Add me as a friend if you wish MichellesCharmWorld [@] Gmail Dot Com. -No spaces).

I just flew through the 3 Shades of Grey Books in about 2 days because they were such fluffy reads. My verdict? Ehh... I don't think they lived up to the hype but once I read one, I knew I should read them all, so people cannot tell me that they got better! LOL!

I am currently reading THE CORE: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of a Classical Education. (We are new to the homeschooling world and I am trying to learn all I can!)

and Beachcombers (From Goodreads):

Beachcombers is an extraordinary novel that centers on the bittersweet reunion of three captivating, very different sisters on Nantucket over one gorgeous, exhilarating summer.

Abbie Fox hasn’t seen her father or two younger sisters in almost two years, during which she’s jetted around the world and experienced life, if not love. But now Lily, the baby of the family, is sending Abbie urgent emails begging her to return home to Nantucket. Their middle sister, Emma, has taken to her bed, emotionally devastated after the loss of her high-powered stockbroker’s job and a shockingly unexpected break-up with her fiancé. Also, Lily is deeply worried that Marina, the beautiful, enigmatic woman renting their guesthouse, has set her sights on the sisters’ widowed father, Jim. The Fox girls closed ranks years ago after the haunting, untimely death of their mother, but seeing their dad move on with his life forces each of them to take stock.

Over the course of the summer, the sisters’ lives grow as turbulent as the unpredictable currents encircling Nantucket. When Abbie encounters an incredibly appealing married man, she breaks her own rules in the name of love, fearing all the while that she’ll regret it. Meanwhile, type-A Emma learns a new definition of success, and strong-minded Lily must reconcile her dreams with reality. Even Marina, who has come to Nantucket to forget heartbreak and betrayal, faces an astonishing turn of events that will find her torn between fate and freedom. At summer’s end, these unforgettable women will face profound choices—and undergo personal transformations that will surprise even themselves
I was a homeschooler too! My boys are all grown now so no more teaching for me. I have 2 in college and one in high school. I homeschooled from kindergarten through 8th grade for each.

Fun times! I will always cherish those extra moments I had with my boys.

Back on topic, LOL... Beachcombers sounds like a great summer read! I think I'll add this one to my list!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You

Old 02-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #778
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkiya View Post
I'm in! I will try for 20 books this year.

My first book is The Night Circus. It just came in the mail yesterday. I ordered Ender's Game, and that should be here next week.

I have the following books on my list, and will regularly update based on recommendations from you guys.

11/22/63
Under the Dome
Rush Home Road
The Great Gatsby
Welcome!

So glad you could join us! Happy Reading!!

Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #779
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Goal 40
Book 15 Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
This nonfiction work details a woman's hike from Southern California to Oregon on the Pacific Crest Trail. It is also about so much more - as she grieves her mother and her recent divorce and finds inner strength along the trail.

I am surprised how much I enjoyed this book as this is not one I would normally select to read (it was a selection from the book club I am in). I gave it 4 stars on goodreads.

Book 16 - Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
Really enjoyed this book - could not put it down - read it straight through in one day. I'm slightly embarrassed that I loved a book about a 17 year old girl falling in love - but I did. I gave it 5 stars on goodreads.

Book 17 Ghost Ala Mode by Sue ann Jaffarian
Woman starts seeing and hearing her great, great, great, great grandmother's ghost and they team up to solve the murder that the grandmother was accused of 100 years ago.

Sounds totally corny but it was a fun, light mystery read with a little bit of romance tossed in for good measure.

Next up for me is Grisham's The Litigators

Last edited by dizluvah; 02-11-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: oops i forgot a book
dizluvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #780
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

#25 Late Night Shopping by Carmen Reid.

A bit ambivalent about this one. It's the second in a series and I didn't like the main character much at all in this one. I will read the next one because they are an easy read.

Now reading A Decline In Prophets by Sulari Gentil.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: