Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
stulaurie
Mouseketeer

Passport Cards OK?

Are Passport Cards OK to Cruise with? We just got our Passports and Passport Cards. Worst case senerio if we miss place our passports will we be fine with just Passport Cards? What other id would we need with this? Will be traveling with a minor.

Does it make more sense to leave the Passport Card on the ship in the safe and travel with our Passports on us to go ashore. You can't fly with a Passport Card right? If anything happened we would need our Passports.
stulaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Passport cards would be fine for cruising. You do not need to take passport nor passport card off the ship when you are in port. I personally would leave both on the ship in your in-room safe, just to avoid the risk of loss or theft of your passport or passport card.

Yes, if you fail to reach the ship on time, you will wish you had your passport. Frankly, it would be foolish to cut it that close; just get to the ship on time. If something else happens, like illness, send one parent back for the passports, or call the ship and have a CM retrieve your passports and bring them to the hospital.

Really, you are weighing risk/benefit here. While being stranded would be a big problem, it is extremely unlikely unless you happen to know that you don't pay any attention to time or deadlines. So the risk of losing your passport and/or card is far more likely than the risk of being stranded.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Since you have both, the Passport is the more precious of the two documents, the card is valid only as proof of citizenship and for land entry from other North American Countries, maybe sea entry as well… The card is useful because you don't need birth certificates, and if you miss the ship and stay on an island you can contact the embassy and the card is easier to get emergency travel visa back into the USA by air(which the card is NOT valid for)… Basically in this situation the card is about as useful as a copy of you original passport book. Unless you get stranded in Mexico and can bus back to the USA.

Safest plan, don't miss the ship. If you have activities planned not by DCL that may cut it close, at least bring the card, at most bring the passport.

I would leave one in the safe, and take one with me. Probably bring the card to shore with you just in case…

I am by no means an expert, but I would like to learn more about what the card can actually do for you…

I do know that the card is NOT valid for entry into the USA by Air.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-fan-22 View Post

I am by no means an expert, but I would like to learn more about what the card can actually do for you…
Nothing more than the birth certificate and ID would do. It might expedite things since it's standardized.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-fan-22 View Post
The passport card is valid for land or sea entry to the U.S. Correct that it is NOT valid for air travel anywhere.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Photocopy your passport and passport cards and leave them with a trusted contact back at home. While you couldn't travel with copy, it would expedite the process of getting a replacement should something happen to your passport.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
The passport card is valid for land or sea entry to the U.S. Correct that it is NOT valid for air travel anywhere.
Yep, and it's why I have a passport. The passport cards are useless, if you need to fly from a foreign port.

Last edited by TLSnell1981; 02-04-2013 at 05:23 PM.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Generally, passport cards are useful for people who frequently drive back and forth to/from the USA and Mexico or Canada. You can stick a passport card in your wallet & always have it with you, rather than having to carry your birth certificate with you all the time. Other than that, they are pretty much the same as a birth certificate & photo ID.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyoconnor View Post
Photocopy your passport and passport cards and leave them with a trusted contact back at home. While you couldn't travel with copy, it would expedite the process of getting a replacement should something happen to your passport.
I 'm not trying to start a fight or be mean. But I don't understand this rational. Do you drive with a copy of your drivers licence? Do you have to show it very often. But when you need it you need it. How often have you lost your drivers licence? You won't lose your passports if you carry them in a purse of they have cases that fit on a lanyard around your neck. If you miss the boat or have an accident while on shore you need to have your passports with you.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
I 'm not trying to start a fight or be mean. But I don't understand this rational. Do you drive with a copy of your drivers licence? Do you have to show it very often. But when you need it you need it. How often have you lost your drivers licence? You won't lose your passports if you carry them in a purse of they have cases that fit on a lanyard around your neck. If you miss the boat or have an accident while on shore you need to have your passports with you.
I get what you say, and tend to agree with you. But I think more people are worried about their passport being stolen, as tourists can be targeted for that.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulaurie View Post
Are Passport Cards OK to Cruise with? We just got our Passports and Passport Cards. Worst case senerio if we miss place our passports will we be fine with just Passport Cards? What other id would we need with this? Will be traveling with a minor.

Does it make more sense to leave the Passport Card on the ship in the safe and travel with our Passports on us to go ashore. You can't fly with a Passport Card right? If anything happened we would need our Passports.
I'm not sure why you have both a passport and a passport card. The card is only good crossing land boarders as you stated you can't fly with one. You can do a closed loop cruise with a drivers licence and birth certificate. In case of an emergency and you needed to fly from a foreign country ( Bahamas, Mexico) you would need a passport.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I always do this. They can get stolen and that is why it is important. In 2009 there was a group of DCL tourists in Nassau that got robbed at gun point. This sort of thing doesn't happen often. This is actually why they recommend you do not take the passports off the boat. However, if your passport is ever stollen having a copy of it helps a lot. It is recommend that you take copies with you off the ship and not the originals. US passports are worth money to a lot of people in other countries.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

The reason I posted about leaving a copy with a trusted person at home was a piece of advice I heard after the Costa Concordia disaster. Many of those passengers had to disembark so quickly that they didn't have time to go back to their cabins to retrieve their passports. Those who had left a copy at home were able to expedite the process of getting a replacement passport to leave Italy.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
I believe the person meant that they leave the copies of their PP and PP card at home with a trusted person in case their passport is stolen or lost when they are on vacation. If they were to need it, they could contact the person back home to fax the copy to the proper official and that information could be used to expidite getting the documents replaced. When I read the post the first time I thought that they left the originals at home also.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #15
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
I believe the person meant that they leave the copies of their PP and PP card at home with a trusted person in case their passport is stolen or lost when they are on vacation. If they were to need it, they could contact the person back home to fax the copy to the proper official and that information could be used to expidite getting the documents replaced. When I read the post the first time I thought that they left the originals at home also.

Make a scan of the information page of your passport and store it on a secure cloud drive such as adrive.com or box.com. That way you can obtain a copy any time from any place where you can get an Internet connection.
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: