Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #571
DavidandLeahZ
DIS Veteran

Needed: Restaurant Recommendations

Hi everyone,

I'm bringing a class of 12 college students to Orlando in March and am thinking about bringing them to Universal/IoA.
It's been over 10 years since I've been, so I need a restaurant recommendation:

My plan is to go to Harry Potter/IoA in the morning from 9a-12p then head to the Studios for the rest of the day.

What advice do you have about uniquely Universal dining experiences for this age group?

Thanks!

- D

DavidandLeahZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #572
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

There is a food sticky with menus and recommendations at the top of the forum that should help.

They'll probably want to do Three Broomsticks or Mythos. Hard Rock Cafe and Margaritaville will also probably interest them.

I would do THree Broomsticks for lunch because it is faster. I'd do dinner at Citywalk when the parks are done. I'd have a snack in the middle of the day to hold me over.

Last edited by damo; 01-31-2013 at 03:02 PM.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #573
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Since we already have a thead on this subject, I'm going to merge it with the food sticky.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #574
patster734
Proud Redhead>
Not the sad bluehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidandLeahZ View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm bringing a class of 12 college students to Orlando in March and am thinking about bringing them to Universal/IoA.
It's been over 10 years since I've been, so I need a restaurant recommendation:

My plan is to go to Harry Potter/IoA in the morning from 9a-12p then head to the Studios for the rest of the day.

What advice do you have about uniquely Universal dining experiences for this age group?

Thanks!

- D
Looking at hours in March, IOA appears to stay open later than US on most days.

Here's my opinion:

Hit the main rides in IOA (Hulk, Spiderman, HPFJ, Dragon's Challenge) in the morning. Head over to US for the main rides there asap (HRRR, The Mummy, MIB, The Simpson's). Plan lunch time between 12 and 1 at Finnigan's inside US (Cheaper alternative would be pizza from Louie's). Have dinner in Citywalk in the early evening (Margaritaville, Hard Rock Cafe, Nascar Cafe, or NBA City). Return to either US or IOA to hit remaining rides or shows that you want to see.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #575
disneymama148
Earning My Ears

weird question...

OK, this will probably sound like a strange question - but does anyone know if zephyrhills is still the bottled water available in the parks, and if so is there any place you can find something else?

My DS drinks water, a lot of water. Won't touch anything carbonated at all. For some reason, though, he really hated the taste of the zephyrhills water we bought in IOA back in 2011. I honestly don't remember if we bought any water when we went to US that trip as the kids were cranky and I think we only stayed for maybe an hour. He disliked that brand of water so much that he still talks about it now, 2 years later, and is wondering if that is still what they have.

Weird kid, huh?
disneymama148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #576
ilanakan
Mouseketeer

Bubba gump - is it worth it?
ilanakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #577
schumigirl
I`ve bought one of those for this year....it`s in fuscia pink though......You`ll be able to see me from the air
It`s a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilanakan View Post

We wouldn`t go back. I asked for my fish not to be deep fried and it came swimming in grease and cold. Sent it back twice.

We had quite slow service too.

DH and DS did not enjoy their meal either. The manager was very apologetic and we only paid for our drinks......which were very nice.

However lots of people go and have nice enough food, but not for us.

SEPT 2007 2 WEEKS BUENA VISTA PALACE & HHN
SEPT 2008 2 WEEKS POFQ &HHN
AUG 2009 2 WEEKS RPR
OCT 2010 2 WEEKS RPR & HHN
AUG 2011 2 WEEKS RPR
JULY 2012 17 NIGHTS RPR
APRIL 2013 WEEK IN NEW YORK
SEPT 2013...17 NIGHTS RPR &HHN
MAY 2014.....2 WEEKS IN NEW YORK
SEPTEMBER 2014....18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
SEPTEMBER/OCT 2015 18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
schumigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #578
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
We went once when it first opened. It was fine. We haven't been back...it isn't one of our favourites.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #579
patster734
Proud Redhead>
Not the sad bluehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymama148 View Post
OK, this will probably sound like a strange question - but does anyone know if zephyrhills is still the bottled water available in the parks, and if so is there any place you can find something else?

My DS drinks water, a lot of water. Won't touch anything carbonated at all. For some reason, though, he really hated the taste of the zephyrhills water we bought in IOA back in 2011. I honestly don't remember if we bought any water when we went to US that trip as the kids were cranky and I think we only stayed for maybe an hour. He disliked that brand of water so much that he still talks about it now, 2 years later, and is wondering if that is still what they have.

Weird kid, huh?
I'm not sure what water brand they use. Perhaps you could bring in a small sealable container and fill it either at water fountains or in restaurants.

Quote:
We went a couple times in the past when it opened, and it was ok. As far as I know, it still doesn't participate in the priority seating for onsite guests, but maybe that changed since I last dined there. However with better dining options at Citywalk (Margaritaville, Hard Rock Cafe, Nascar Grille, Latin Quarter), we haven't dined at Bubba Gump's in the last few years.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #580
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I tried it last September !! They were one of the few restaurants that did not give AAA discount!! We all enjoyed our food there though !!The seafood hushpuppies were my favorite !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #581
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)

Meal Deal Question

OK, we have committed for the meal deal during our stay (already purchased, pickup at will call in RPH on arrival).

I understand that I am allowed one entree' and one dessert each trip through the line. In the picture of the Monsters Cafe menu, I noticed the section labeled as Soups, Salads, and Sides they listed a Fresh Fruit Plate at $7.29. Would this be available to us on the Meal Deal plan (as an entree')?

Last edited by DryCreek; 02-11-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Turned one really, really long sentence into a paragraph instead.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #582
ks13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymama148 View Post

Weird kid, huh?
yes they still serve zhills water at last count. I know because I prefer it over nasty pepsi or coke brand bottle water lol.

Last edited by ks13; 02-13-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: tired and typing
ks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #583
redoschi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We did it a couple of weeks ago and everything was great!
We had the Shrimper's Heaven and Forrest's Seafood Feast and shared both in a party of 4.

The service was also pretty good, but we were there in a Tuesday and having an early lunch so can't say anything about it during weekend evenings!

My PTR for Jan-Feb 2013
My ongoing TR for our Jan-Feb 2013 trip
January/February 2013 - Pop CenturyDecember 2007 - All Star Sports October 2000 - All Star Movies
October 1998 - Off-site December 1994 - Off-site December 1989 - Off-site

WDW Commando Member #215
redoschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #584
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
OK, we have committed for the meal deal during our stay (already purchased, pickup at will call in RPH on arrival).

I understand that I am allowed one entree' and one dessert each trip through the line. In the picture of the Monsters Cafe menu, I noticed the section labeled as Soups, Salads, and Sides they listed a Fresh Fruit Plate at $7.29. Would this be available to us on the Meal Deal plan (as an entree')?
There are a few people who regularly get the meal deal plan who are away from the boards right now. Might take a bit to get an accurate response.

You used to be able to get the fruit platter as part of the meal deal at International Food Festival before it closed down to be remade into a Simpsons restaurant. Perhaps it will be the same way at Monsters.

Last edited by damo; 02-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #585
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
There are a few people who regularly get the meal deal plan who are away from the boards right now. Might take a bit to get an accurate response.

You used to be able to get the fruit platter as part of the meal deal at International Food Festival before it closed down to be remade into a Simpsons restaurant. Perhaps it will be the same way at Monsters.
Thanks, I hope you're right - I can eat my weight in fruit platters and plain salads!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfasts, dining, food & beverage, smart visitors, universal, universal orlando, vegan, vegetarian

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: