Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #16
Antonia
DIS Veteran

Location: Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina . . .

If it is DFIL I wish he'd find some other place to hang out!
May 2008 - RCCL Mariner of the Seas!
Who knows? First grandchild on the way!!!
May 2009 New Orleans!!!
June 2010 Myrtle Beach!
September 2011 - VWL - New DVC Members! And with 2nd grandchild!
Antonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #17
kidshop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
If it is DFIL I wish he'd find some other place to hang out!
Ask him to leave. Tell him it bothers you.

It not really something I talk about, but I had some incidents I believed to be a relative who died suddenly. I asked her stop when one thing really freaked me. It was actually a nice comforting thing, kind of like the deck of cards, but I was still scared. It never happened again like that. I kind of hope she still hangs around, just a little more subtle.
kidshop is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

I don't know what I believe. I'm not sure I believe in ghosts, or anything "supernatural", but I do believe there are maybe things we don't understand. That what people see or experience may be real, and many are easily explained or coincidences. But I also think there are some things that truly happen which we can't explain given what information we currently have. But I'm also not discounting the existence of anything. Mainly because my family has had some weird experiences, despite being fairly pragmatic people.

*My mom and dad had a large walk in closet with two doors. In the middle was a rod for hanging clothes, making it like 2 sections. My mom was standing on her side, and over the clothes in the middle, saw the head of a man (she thought was my dad) walk in, and start moving around. She even heard the hangers on his side squeak as they slid back and forth. She spent about two minutes talking to him, when she suddenly heard him walk out of the bathroom where he'd been taking a shower. Looked back over and no one was there.

*My adult sister was at my mom's townhouse (different house), upstairs in their office. There is a very small landing at the top of these stairs, with only two rooms upstairs. She heard someone walking up the stairs, turned to look towards the door of the office, and saw a tall man with black hair go walking past, into my parents bedroom. She went into the room and it was empty. My mom said my sister came tearing down the stairs like her hair was on fire. Three days later, my grandmother called my mom and told her a similar thing had happened to her the night before. Except she'd never heard what happened to my sister. She had two doors into her bedroom -- one from the kitchen, then one into a hallway that leads to a bathroom and another bedroom. She was asleep, and woke up to see a tall man with dark hair walk from the door to the kitchen, pass her, and vanish through the door into the hallway. Very sensible woman, thought, "I must still be dreaming." Just then, this horrific pounding occurred on the wall behind her head, which was the same wall as the door the "man" had vanished through. She jumped up, thinking she'd seen an intruder. A minister friend who was staying with her in the other room, knocked on her bedroom door, wanting to know if that pounding noise came from her? He'd seen nothing in the hallway, and there was no way out but through either of their bedrooms. THEN, a week later, I was at my mom's visiting while she watched my brother's little 4 year old son. He was playing on those same stairs, just out of sight. We heard him say, "Hi Patrick! Hi Patrick!" And then carried on a brief one-sided conversation. Patrick is an old friend of the family who...is tall and has black hair.

That was the end of that, but it was just...odd.

Luckily, nothing much for me. We did build this brand new house a few years ago that had some weird things. First, for some reason one area of our bedroom would get this rotten stench. But only at night, only in this one spot, once a week, and only for an hour. We went outside to check, because I thought maybe a skunk had sprayed the backyard...no smell. Checked the bathroom, thinking pipes. Nothing. Checked the attic above the area. Nothing. On a slab foundation, so no animals underneath. Then our motion detector alarm in our bedroom closet kept going off for no reason we could discern. And one Saturday morning, I woke up to my clock alarm going off. Neither of us had set it. I would have thought an electrical short, but the alarm-on button had actually been slid to the "on" position and the alarm time was changed. I just shrugged it off. But when I got out of bed, and went to walk to the bathroom, I saw about a foot from DH's side of the bed his alarm clock -- it was sitting in the middle of the floor, with the cord wrapped carefully around it. No one else in the house, mind you. We moved a few months later for a new job. I still wonder if the lady who bought our house ever experienced anything.

I don't make claims about or pretend to understand any of these events. But, yes. They were weird.

Last edited by branv; 02-10-2013 at 11:47 PM.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #19
fall08CP
Cheesehead

I have a spirit that follows me. I picked it up a few years ago when I was out of the country visiting family friends. They practiced witchcraft and read tarot cards. I stayed away from their practice, but slept in their house. One night, my friend and I woke up to a spirit standing in their living room. We both saw it, and his mother saw the glow under her door. It was terrifying, a very mean spirit!

It has since followed me back to the states and to each of the 5 states I've since lived. Sometimes I physically see it, sometimes it grabs me in the night. Other times it'll shake me awake and not show itself, but I can feel its presence. I used to be very scared, but I've learned to take control and cast it away.. for a few months at a time.

Once you've seen a spirit, you HAVE to believe. It's really something crazy
Old 02-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #20
Nola Girl
Mouseketeer

I grew up with a ghost. My parents sought out help and were told if it was a good spirit it would leave if asked. Mom finally asked "her" to leave after baby brother was born as he was really afraid of the lady who came in his room at night.
Some of us are more sensitive. Once on vacation I was awakened repeatedly by a spirit every night for the entire week. I was miserable. No one else in the family felt or saw a thing! I was very afraid it would follow me home. Thankfully it did not. I was pretty sure it was a young child because it would shake me awake the exact way my kids did. We were traveling with a large group of friends and they had so much fun laughing at my expense! Thankfully my sister was with us and was TOTALLY jealous that the ghost picked me and not her. When we were kids the ghost preferred her so she was sure all ghosts would prefer her! Anyway she let everyone know that I was not insane.
I do think some things we think are ghosts are not, like the time I smelled pipe smoke and no one else did. My grandfather had just died so I was sure it was a sign. Well a few weeks later I smelled smoke again and then got a major migraine. I realized I was starting to suffer from olfactory auras. No ghosts. But I know what I saw with my own eyes.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #21
mommyjam
Mouseketeer

I have only had one strange experience. My daughter is named for my best friend that died when we were in high school. I always liked to think that my "friend" was watching over my daughter. When DD was 3 I was visiting my parents, they live in a split level house so you enter the front foyer then go up 3 stairs to the living room. My daughter sat down at the top of the stairs in the living room to take off her shoes. When she pulled it off, she pulled too hard and fell backwards. I panicked, but before I could get to her she just stopped in mid air, she was sitting still but laying straight back over the edge of the stairs. She kind of hovered there and then sat right back up like it was nothing. My mom and SIL and I just stared at each other, there was no way she could have laid that far back and sat back up without falling. We asked her how she did it and she said she felt someone push her back up.
mommyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #22
starwood
This mouse GOT her next cruise
I won't even tell my DH what I'm doing. He already thinks I'm nuts

Our house is over 70 years old and we have lived here for over 30 years. When we first moved in we had a lamp that was on a timer. The lamp didn't come on one day and I thought the bulb was burnt so I replaced it. It still didn't work. Turns out the lamp was shut off at the switch. DH swears he didn't do it. Then the radiators would be shut off for no reason. But the best was a few years ago when DS and DH were visiting DH's mother. It was just me, the 3 cats and the dog. DH never closes the doors on his armoire. I was in bed watching TV and I glanced over at the armoire. I watched the top right door slowly swing shut. There were no open windows or cars going by. It has never done it since.

Environmentallity Begins With You
starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #23
Clio
Mouseketeer

I don't have any ghosts in my house but the store I work in has two. One is the man who owned the property the store is located on. He just wanders around and doesn't do anything most of the time. The other one likes to play with the paint mixer and the photo processor. One of them did pull one of my friends away from a falling shelf in her office. We've just gotten used to them being around.
Liz
Clio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #24
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

I do not think your house is haunted. I love spooky/creepy stories but I have never seen anything that's made me believe in ghosts. I've even been ghost hunting, and nothing!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

We have a fan/light combo that turns off and on by itself every now and then. My brother is an electrician and checked the wiring and the wall switch and everything is fine. We thought it was the remote so I took the batteries out one day and it still did it that night. If DH and I talk about it, the light either comes on or turns off or the fan turns on. It is very strange so we just stopped talking about it.

I am not saying that it is a ghost but I am one of those people that believes anything is possible.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #26
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

No
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #27
Dwight
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall08CP
I have a spirit that follows me. I picked it up a few years ago when I was out of the country visiting family friends. They practiced witchcraft and read tarot cards. I stayed away from their practice, but slept in their house. One night, my friend and I woke up to a spirit standing in their living room. We both saw it, and his mother saw the glow under her door. It was terrifying, a very mean spirit!

It has since followed me back to the states and to each of the 5 states I've since lived. Sometimes I physically see it, sometimes it grabs me in the night. Other times it'll shake me awake and not show itself, but I can feel its presence. I used to be very scared, but I've learned to take control and cast it away.. for a few months at a time.

Once you've seen a spirit, you HAVE to believe. It's really something crazy
I believe you are on to something with the witchcraft and tarot card reference. These are demonic forces. Please understand I am not calling the FIL in pp a demon. I just believe demons can take on all kinds of forms. IMHO.
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #28
stargazer2892
Mouseketeer

Sounds haunted to me. I personaly have never lived in a haunted house however my mom lived in one for 4 years so I grew up hearing stories (all the same from different family members). The house they lived in had to have been at least a 100 years old (there was a news story about 10 years ago about the current owners "Finding a secret room" that my mom knew existed, and knew why it was "hidden".
Since they lived in Maine in the 70's the house was still primarily heated by wood, one storm they came home to have a perfectly warm house with the wood stove lit. The only family member who wasn't with them who had a key worked 30 min (in good weather) away and his lunch was only 30 min so he didn't start it. My aunt was having a temper tantrum standing the the middle of a rarely used room screaming (she was 12) and a huge mirror that was on the mantle few off and smashed against the other side of the room, she didn't have full blown tantrums after that. A few times the ghost would smack my Nana's bottom in a very friendly way. And the one that I will never forget is he would lock my moms bedroom door (the door didn't have a lock) when her father would try to come into her room and do inappropriate things.
One day a few years after they moved out my Nana ran into an older lady who used to own the house and it turns out that the ghost was her son who died in WW2. He was a pilot who was shot down and she knew he was dead before she was told, the room that was "hidden" was his room and he kept pushing furniture in front of it and not wanting her to go in so she boarded it up and wallpapered over it. I'm not sure if he is still there or not hopefully he has finally moved on.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #29
Kies99
I Can has Cheezburger???

No, not haunted.

I'm another one who doesn't believe in ghosts or the supernatural. In fact, if you invite me over and say your house is haunted, prepare for me to call out the "spirit". I've done it before in places that are supposedly haunted and not once has anything ever happened.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, bacon in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

Some people are like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Kies99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #30
WMorganS
Flapping My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
In the past year, we have a touch lamp upstairs that turns on by itself.
I'd worry more about the lamp than a ghost. Seriously... attributing oddities to supernatural causes can lead you to ignore an important physical cause. Fact: there is some kind of electrical problem with that light.

To put it another way, flickering lights on an off is how ghosts say, "you have an electrical problem" ;-)
WMorganS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: