Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
palmbeachmom
Mouseketeer

First of all, take a deep breath. Second, I DO have a brain tumor, and I can tell you that pain in the center of the forehead is not a common presenting factor for brain tumors, on it's own. Generally, you would have noticed different types of symptoms cropping up over a period of time, and seizures would be the most common. Most "brain tumor headaches" are caused by tumors and swelling blocking one of the ventricles of the brain and cutting off the CSF, which bathes the brain. Mornings are the most common time for this to happen. Not saying you don't get headaches, because you do... many days I can't function from pain, but I'm in more of the end stage.

Call your pediatrician and tell them what is going on. But for right now, try to relax and not let your imagination run wild. And most of all, don't look up brain tumors on the internet, because it will just scare the bejeesus out of you

And don't be quick to rush and insist on a CT scan. That is a lot of radiation for a little growing brain. And I'm a mom too, so I totally get your panic. I promise you anytime my son has a headache, that is the first thing that pops in my head because we have a lot of brain tumors in my immediate family!

Last edited by palmbeachmom; 02-10-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: more information
palmbeachmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
kandb
DIS Veteran

OP, I get anxiety and get those thoughts when my kids don't feel well. I remember when I was in nursing school, them saying that most people would think headaches are symptoms of a brain tumor/cancer but they said actually it was other symptoms. I know when I am more stressed, I tend to have more thoughts like that (and considering you are parenting a 4 year old and 2- 4 month old twins, I can imagine that is a bit stressful).
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney View Post
I'm the exact same way!
I'm sure your daughter is fine!

ETA: Not sure why my post is coming up all a quote. :P
Because you accidentally deleted the closing bracket in the first bit of the quote (where is says [QUOTE="NYEmomma").
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Thanks everybody.

DH is currently laughing his behind off at me as I type this for being such a freak every time one of the kids gets sick. I over-react to EVERYTHING and honestly, I've worked pretty diligently with my therapist to be more rational about life and not jump to the worst conclusions. But it's a hard habit to break.

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: waiting for 3/15 to get here!
NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #20
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmbeachmom View Post
First of all, take a deep breath. Second, I DO have a brain tumor, and I can tell you that pain in the center of the forehead is not a common presenting factor for brain tumors, on it's own. Generally, you would have noticed different types of symptoms cropping up over a period of time, and seizures would be the most common. Most "brain tumor headaches" are caused by tumors and swelling blocking one of the ventricles of the brain and cutting off the CSF, which bathes the brain. Mornings are the most common time for this to happen. Not saying you don't get headaches, because you do... many days I can't function from pain, but I'm in more of the end stage.

Call your pediatrician and tell them what is going on. But for right now, try to relax and not let your imagination run wild. And most of all, don't look up brain tumors on the internet, because it will just scare the bejeesus out of you

And don't be quick to rush and insist on a CT scan. That is a lot of radiation for a little growing brain. And I'm a mom too, so I totally get your panic. I promise you anytime my son has a headache, that is the first thing that pops in my head because we have a lot of brain tumors in my immediate family!
Thank you so very much for the insight... wish you didn't have to have this type of first-hand knowledge.

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: waiting for 3/15 to get here!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
Caropooh
POO, are you? POO POO, POO POO!
I LOVE wiggling my kids teeth!
Drives a braille van

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEmomma View Post
Disclaimer: I am a certified nervous nelly that over-reacts and gets inappropriately anxious about the smallest things... especially when it comes to my kids.

DD (4) has been complaining about having headaches the past couple of days. Right in the center of her forehead. So naturally, I am sitting here absolutely terrified and convinced that she's got brain cancer. I'm not going to be able to sleep all night because of my worry about this & will most likely make myself look like a complete idiot when I call the pedi tomorrow and beg for an appointment ASAP and convince the doctor that she needs a CT scan just to soothe my fears.

So tell me I'm being an idiot here & worrying myself over nothing.

She's never complained of a headache before. Has been sick with a cold & ear infection the past two weeks but has been back to 100% for the last 2-3 days. Is still on Amoxicillin for another day or two. We just had her vision checked at her yearly appointment last month & it's fine. She's also been WAY more hyperactive the past couple of days (literally crawling the furniture and running through the house, which isn't in her character) and has been extremely moody/emotional. Every time she complains of a headache it's after she's taken a temper tantrum or has been crying about something.

Is the headache caused by the fits she throws or is she acting like this because of the headache? Should I really be on the phone first thing tomorrow morning?

Talk me down off the ledge here, guys.
Could she be acting up more recently due to having twin 6 month old sisters? I'm sure they are getting the bulk of your attention recently as they get more active, alert, etc. Might she be a bit jealous and so is acting out? This is turn could be giving her the headaches after crying.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caropooh View Post
Could she be acting up more recently due to having twin 6 month old sisters? I'm sure they are getting the bulk of your attention recently as they get more active, alert, etc. Might she be a bit jealous and so is acting out? This is turn could be giving her the headaches after crying.
She has surprisingly been a WONDERFUL big sister & has adapted to them so very well. We were prepared for a nightmare... an understandable nightmare, but a nightmare nonetheless. And they take SO much more time than we even anticipated. They're both very high needs babies. But DD is very understanding and helpful with them & we make sure that we have one-on-one time with her every day too (during their morning nap & after they go to bed every evening we have an hour that we do whatever she wants).

The past few days though she's been doing a lot more "mommy play with me, mommy play with me" than normal but that happens even when the babies aren't around and I always DO play with her.

So I guess I don't really know where this new attitude & behavior is coming from... she's been crazy hyper, very pushy & whiny, very emotional. She's been sleeping normally so I don't think it's lack of sleep. Maybe it's cabin fever? She's been cooped up for a bit with the cold. Maybe the antibiotics? Maybe just a new phase of behavior that we're entering?

ETA: We also take her out for special DD-only days to spend one-on-one time with her while my parents watch the babies. We haven't done one since January so maybe it's time to do that again? DH & I planned on going out to a movie & lunch on the 18th to celebrate Valentine's Day since he's off & my parents are able to watch all the kids. I'm tempted to cancel that and take DD out with us instead. It's just been a REALLY long time since DH & I have had any child-free time at all. I think October was the last time we were able to get out of the house alone for a couple hours. We couldn't even get out for my birthday last month. So I was really looking forward to time with him.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #23
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

Sometimes kids have delayed adjustment issues when a new baby comes. While I think her headaches are from her recent illness, I think the hyperness and the tantrums might be from dealing with her new siblings. Sometimes kids are great and welcoming to the new baby. Then after a few months, the realize "oh this baby is not leaving!" and begin to act out.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #24
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

I not only dreaded my oldest needing antibiotics because I hated for her to be sick, I also dreaded it because they had an evil effect on her personality and behavior. It came to be known as witch's potion at our house for that reason.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #25
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanafrau View Post
I not only dreaded my oldest needing antibiotics because I hated for her to be sick, I also dreaded it because they had an evil effect on her personality and behavior. It came to be known as witch's potion at our house for that reason.
Yes, this. My kids go loopy on amoxicillin. The red dye alone sends them off the deep end, but our ped said many children have sensitivities to amoxicillin and shouldn't take it.

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(10) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ SURPRISE little one born Aug. '13

MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #26
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Oh, I never thought about red dye (duh, it's pink not red! lol)... my brother was allergic to red dye as a child.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
Shanna-like-Banana
DIS Veteran

She probably is getting the headaches from ramping up her blood pressure during the tantrums. That's why it's not uncommon for kids to fall asleep after a long drawn out tantrum.
Shanna-like-Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #28
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

I second the sinus pressure, that can cause pain. Try some vicks on her chest or her feet (under socks) and see if it helps with the pain. It'll help clear the congestion without her having to take medicine.

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #29
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Okay, she is 4. She has new baby siblings, she has been sick, the weather has been crappy, she's been cooped up in the house. Her head is stuffy from a cold to start, and she has a tantrum. Yup, more snot, more stuffiness, she gets a headache.

OP, I am trying to be kind, but you really need to get your anxiety or issues under control. Anxious parents have anxious kids. If you are on the ledge over every head cold, cranky mood, and tantrum, she will be, too, and so will your other kids.

Not to mention, the amount of radiation she would be getting from un-needed CT scans is more dangerous, than a head cold, a headache, and a tantrum combined.

Does she go to school? My younger 2 are 16 months apart. My daughter was a terror when her brother came. She was horrible. Tantrums, hyper, she was too cooped up in the house, and not enough stimulation. School was a wonderful thing. She loves it there. (she is 4, also) She gets to run and play with other kids and she is learning.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #30
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEmomma View Post
ETA: We also take her out for special DD-only days to spend one-on-one time with her while my parents watch the babies. We haven't done one since January so maybe it's time to do that again? DH & I planned on going out to a movie & lunch on the 18th to celebrate Valentine's Day since he's off & my parents are able to watch all the kids. I'm tempted to cancel that and take DD out with us instead. It's just been a REALLY long time since DH & I have had any child-free time at all. I think October was the last time we were able to get out of the house alone for a couple hours. We couldn't even get out for my birthday last month. So I was really looking forward to time with him.
I'd say it's a combo of all things and it sounds like you've been doing a great job making her feel special.

I would tell you to keep the plans with your husband. You need that away time and couple time. Your DD will be fine w/her g-parents & you can plan other special times with her later. Take advantage of those times when you can get a sitter for all 3!!!!!

You need a chance to recharge your batteries and it's important to keep that relationship time too. Enjoy your time w/DH!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: