Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Tap Dancing Lobster? Joy Riding Scooters? Read all about the Dream 1/27-1/31

Consider this the most interesting and engaging subheading you have ever read on a trip report!

What can I say? This will be a brief, albeit drama-filled, account of my second-ever Disney cruise back aboard the Disney Dream for 1/27-1/31, 2013. You may remember me from such trip reports as "East Meets West" and "A Dream Come True"---both entirely exciting examples of my detailed ramblings about 2 Disney trips not related to my lifetime of WDW visits.

I found myself back onboard my beloved Dream after a rather impromptu decision. I am in my first year of teaching middle school language arts--quite possibly the most unappreciated and challenging job any sane adult could ever willingly subject themselves to. And yes, I ended that sentence on a preposition--shame on me. The insanity led me to booking the most ambitious purchase ever in my life: an Alaskan cruise, and on DCL to be exact. I'm treating my parents, but my poor best friend is always left behind to watch our dogs. I wanted her to have a great vacation, too, and for me to have a "playmate" for once on a cruise. I decided that if a great discount presented itself for a 4-night Dream cruise, I'd take her.

Lo, the Florida resident rates appeared!

With a week to go until Christmas, I decided to book after discovering that the date I wanted (Feb 3rd--my birthday) had already sold out. Within an hour, not only were the two of us going--but my parents, my grandfather, my other 2 best friends, and my brother's family of 4! Thank goodness that it was the last week of school before the break, so the kids were testing and then watching a movie. This allowed me the otherwise impossible opportunity to communicate with my TA to book 3 connecting verandah staterooms ASAP.

But then ... drama. This usually comes hand-in-hand with my brother's family. Ultimately, he decided not to go after all. This was perfectly fine--I would learn later why traveling with a large party can be challenging. And my SIL would have made things even more ... challenging.

My grandfather had never been on a cruise, and he uses every opportunity he has to explain how the "last boat he was on" lasted for 6 weeks, sleeping in a hammock, and being sick the entire time--as a marine in WWII. He has always expressed wanting to try a pleasure cruise, but was afraid of being sick amongst a multitude of other anxieties that have kept him from joining us in the past. But he's a very active guy for his age, and finally his boredom overcame any of his reservations. So, we needed a HA room.

But pro-tip, your chance of getting a HA room on a last-minute deal is pretty non-existent. There were none available. This was OK, as he gets around perfectly fine. But that meant figuring out how to park a rented scooter nearby. We ultimately ended up in 3 connecting category 5C's, forward and on the port side of the ship.

So, with a party of newbies and just about a month to prepare--would we make it? Would the Dream be just as magical the second time? Could we trust Grandpa not to drive his scooter off the ship? And what about that lobster?

It's all in the future of this mini-trip report. Which will likely not end up being mini. Stay tuned.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: