Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
reenie1
Mouseketeer

Mango allergy and counter service restaurants?

We are heading to WDW next week and have the QSDP. DD 13 is allergic to mango and latex (not life-threatening) and is extremely sensitive to any mango cross contamination (this has gotten much worse the past three years). I have noticed mango items on a couple of the counter service menus. It seems to be a new "popular" food, unfortunately for her! Anyway, has anyone been to WDW lately and noticed if mango is common at counter service restaurants? Is Disney good about cross contamination in general or do you think they tend to be careful only with more common allergens? I'm just wondering if I need to examine every menu and completely avoid counterservice that has mango on the menu or if we just don't order anything with mango she will be OK.

Thanks - this is our first time traveling to WDW since she has become so sensitve. She did have a reaction to mango on our Disney cruise a couple of years ago, but that was from a buffet - lesson learned the hard way!
reenie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Piper
DIS Veteran

I have a mango allergy and I told the chef at table service including buffets. I let the server know at counter service and most of the time, they brought out the manager. I am anaphalactic to both mango and cashew (after I developed the cashew allergy, my doctor said they are related and she sees people with allergies to both frequently.)
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
disfan07
DIS Veteran

I am anaphylactic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish as well as allergic to wheat, oats, coconut, sesame, soy, broccoli.

We worry about cross contamination with all allergies just because I am so sensitive to allergens in general.

We have eaten at various counter service places with no issues.

I personally don't think you need to avoid CS places with mangoes on the menu but that's just my opinion. It all depends on your comfort level.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
reenie1
Mouseketeer

Thank you both! It sounds like I can relax and it likely won't be an issue. I will bring her medication just in case, of course.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
jlk806
DanceDisneyGirl

Having a severe food allergy IS scary. We found out at Disney world last year our son is allergic to many tree nuts (after he ate a brownie containing pecans we had to go to hospital, he didnt go into shock but was wheezing and hives everywhere). He is allergic to cashews, and Ive read that they are related to the mango, he's never been specifically tested for that but we avoid that as well. All I can say is Disney is amazing at handling food allergies. This was my sons 4th visit, at 4 years old and we just on the first night of trip found out he had ANY allergy at all, so we went about the rest of the trip talking to every chef about the food and we had no more problems. I think no matter what the allergy if you talk to the chefs you will be fine Disney has a great handle on allergies
Pop Century April 2006 - Pop Century August 200 - Pop Century September 2009 - Pop Century/Animal Kingdom Villa Kidani - Aug/Sept 2010!! - Last minute girls trip Caribbean Beach - July 2011! - Pop Century / Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - Aug/ Sept 2011!! - Art Of Animation / Beach Club Villas / Kidani Village- Aug/Sept 2012!
Wilderness Lodge Villas/Beach Club Villas - Aug 2013!!
Pop Century - Quick Pre-Christmas trip - December 2013!
Beach Club Villas - June 2014 leading up to Disney Cruise July!

jlk806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
reenie1
Mouseketeer

We just got back and DD had no allergic reactions the entire time we were there! We had QSDP and only ate at counter-service restaurants/kiosks. Anytime I saw mango somewhere on a menu I just told them about her allergy and that she is extremely sensitive to cross-contamination and right away I was put at ease -the staff was well informed and clearly Disney is very careful about cross contamination so we had no issues at all!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Glad to know you had a great trip! DD21 is also allergic to mango, but mainly to an oil in the skins. She's also severely allergic to poison ivy, which contains a similar oil.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
ChrisRuns
Training for my third run around the World!

I've got the same mango/cashew/poison ivy allergy that a few other commenters have mentioned, and Disney has always been great about everything. They know their stuff when it comes to preventing cross-contamination and ALL the servers that I've had are knowledgeable, so I'm thinking maybe it's part of the training for all food service personnel?
ChrisRuns is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: