Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
NinoBeharBR
Earning My Ears

Sedentary --> WDW Half Marathon 2014 – Possible?

Sedentary --> WDW Half Marathon 2014 – Possible?

Hey guys! My first post!

My name is Nino, 24 years old, and Im from Sao Paulo, Brazil. Im a 6th year medical student, BIG Disney fan, grew up in a Disney family. I know the DISboards for a while, but I’ve always been a reader, never registered.

Story told lets get down to business. I have never been very interested in athletics and with time and studies my sedentary lifestyle eventually led to obesity and my health started to get threatened. Moreover, these last years I saw the health of my parents and their dificulties. My mother had to undergo a bariatric surgery due to her weight and my father had a heart attack by being overweight and other comorbities. I don’t want that for my life. So my new years resolution was to lose weight, start some physical activity and get healthy. Just to set as a parameter, today (2/10/2013) my weight is 120kg (264 pounds) and Im 1.77m (5’11’’ I guess, I don’t realy know how to do the conversions).

I went to a doctor, started a diet but I still needed a physical activity. Then last week I found out about runDisney and the WDW marathon and half marathon. Last week browsing the web I read the WDW Marathon weekend. I found the incentive I needed. But how to do it? Is it possible for someone who has never ran before to complete a half marathon? Im I crazy even for considering it?

I started reading about it and I found the C25k program. I intend to start this week or at the most the next week, but first I want to solve some potential problems. I dance for two years now (every Sunday for 5 hours) barefoot and over time I developed a pain in my right foot. I think it might be plantar fasciitis or heel spur. I have scheduled a orthopedist for this week to see what is happening and how to treat it so I can get started as soon as possible.

I have some questions and need some advices, that’s why I created this thread:

1. Im I being stupid or is it realy possible for a sedentary who never ran to do a half marathon?
2. Is the C25k program the right one for me to begin? Any other suggestions?
3. Right now I don’t enrolled in a gym, so I intend to run in a park near my house. Is it better to run on the street or on a treadmill? I havent found anything about this.
4. After finishing the C25k program what should I do? Any suggestions? I’ve heard about the Jeff Galloway programs, are they good? How to go from 5k to the Half?
5. When does the WDW marathon registrations begin? I read that they run out very fast, is that true?
6. Tomorrow Im buying my first running shoes. Any advice?
7. I own an Iphone and found out a lot of C25k apps. Can anyone recommend me a good one?
8. Any other advices? Suggestions? Any help Ill be very thankful!

I guess that’s it! Sorry for the long post and for the bad english. Ill probably make a diary in the Diary section, but I posted this here for the questions. I hope there’s no problem.

Thank you again!

Nino
NinoBeharBR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: