Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #31
Scornelius
Suburban Princess
My last doctor didn't even make eye contact

I think this thread should be titled "Anyone else not like basil", because that seems to be much more of an issue than the city itself.
Scornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #32
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I spent a week in NOLA as a kid and was bored out of my mind. But I was a kid. I would like to give it a try for a few days again someday now that I am adult. However I am not a big drinker so I would do research on other things to do while I'm there. I did enjoy a bayou tour when I was there, and I was dying to go on a Mississipi river boat, so that would be an option.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #33
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

I'm not a drinker either, but I manage to have an awesome time every time I go. There's waaaay more to NO than bourbon st. My fave is the New Orleans School of Cooking. A couple of hours of cooking and history, then you get toEAT what was cooked. Yum!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #34
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

You can dislike NOLA and still like Louisiana just fine. On the way to NOLA, we stopped in St. Francisville for a few days and enjoyed that immensely.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
I live about 90 minutes away from NO.

I think possibly, to have a good time in NO, you need to approach it the way a first timer needs to approach WDW - with lots of planning and lots and lots of questions to people who know the terrain.

I'm left wondering - did you do a walking tour of the French Quarter? Did you see the 1855 house? St. Louis Cathedral? Do the tour of St. Louis #1? The Presbytre? Did you go to the Aquarium? The Insectarium? The Museum at the US Mint? The WWII museum? Did you ride the riverboat? Why didn't you stop and just sit at Cafe du Monde for a while with beignets and cafe au lait? Did you check the crowd levels before you decided on that particular weekend and realize how many people would be there? Or read up on where the good public restrooms are? (Yes, there are some. You just have to know where they are - they're sort of tucked into the museums and national park stuff.) Did you check the map to find where Bourbon street was so you could make one pass to see the spectacle and then avoid it. (We take first timers through there once for a couple of blocks, and then we're done and do something that's really fun in the Quarter.)

I honestly didn't even recognize any of the restaurants you named - that doesn't mean other people won't, and I could have just missed them, but still, that gave me pause. I and all the other Southeast Louisiana folks would've happily steered you to the best eateries in the city. (These days I am in love with Couchon's for a good sit down meal and Boucherie, which a sandwich shop at the back of Couchon's, for a quick meal.)

I'm really sorry you had a bad time, but NO is a city that does take planning ahead to really enjoy - just like a Disney trip!
Agree!!

Did the OP not even get our famous beignets and coffee??
Not walk on the Miss. Riverwalk, shop the mall there, take the Garden District streetcar, one of the riverboats, tour a lovely plantation home, eat some delicious crawfish gumbo?? I could go on and on.

I'm from Hammond, which is north about 45+ miles. I *love* going there, though even I never desired to live there. But, you can't just drop in out of nowhere without some advance planning and expect to know just where to go, where to eat, what to see.

New Orleans is one of the most unique cities in the USA as far as I'm concerned. Bourbon St. makes no secret of what it becomes at night, so just don't go there Guess it's not for everyone, but it's part of home, sweet home to us south LA. folks. The food, for sure, is the best
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
izzy
"It's not the heat -- it's the stupidity"

I always remember an episode of Designing Women when the gals went to New Orleans for a convention and they all seemed to throw their inhibitions out of the window. They described New Orleans as "Disneyland for adults." Very appropriate from what I've seen on Bourbon Street!

Having said that, I love the beignets from Cafe du Monde, pralines from anywhere, and a little eating establishment called Mothers.

izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #37
DisneyNutMary
DIS Veteran

Now that my kids are almost grown and out of the house, I've been planning my bucket list of places I want to visit. And this thread had pushed New Orleans to the top if the list (it was previously behind Memphis, Austin, Alaska and Boston). All of the suggestions of great places the OP might have missed have me longing to visit it even more. New Orleans sounds amazing, even for a non partier like me.
NOLA pros, how far does one have to venture from the city to visit a historic plantation. I've always wanted to visit one.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #38
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

we spent December 30th - January 2nd in NOLA for the sugar bowl. DD15's high school marching band performed in the halftime show, and if i never seen NOLA again, it'll be too soon. everywhere we went, strangers followed our group, giving the girls skeevy looks and making vulgar, profanity-filled comments-even in broad daylight. i heard the "F" word more in my first 24 hours in NOLA than i've heard it my entire 41 years. even when the kids were wearing their band uniforms, they got vulgar comments. it was really appalling.

to be fair, EVERY restaurant we went to had GREAT service-the staff was awesome. we especially enjoyed the hard rock cafe (which had JUST opened at its new location that day), and i made sure i told the manager what a great time we had. the beignets and hot chocolate at cafe du monde were AMAZING, and the riverboat cruise, although VERY disorganized (and the food wasn't very good), gave us a lovely view of the city at night. we also had a great time at the sugar bowl-there was never a moment when i felt unsafe.

i realize my experience is unique, having been with a group of high schoolers, and it is JMHO. i do highly recommend the hard rock cafe, the WWII museum, michaul's, and a stop by the riverwalk mall. there is a fudge store, i can't remember the name, at the riverwalk, where they put on a show while they make the fudge-VERY entertaining. the food is VERY expensive-DD and i each got a chicken sandwich, fries, and a drink for her, and it was $20.69.

Last edited by momof1princess; 02-10-2013 at 05:02 PM.
momof1princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #39
themilesfamily
Wanna potty with Spongebob Squarepants?

My husband and I went many years back. We loved it. We stayed in a really neat little hotel -- The Hotel St. Helene -- in the French Quarter. Our room was a suite and had really beautiful furniture. It overlooked a courtyard.

We loved the New Orleans ghost tour. The tour guide was so fun and had a drink with us afterward. We enjoyed the voodoo museum. We loved Pat O'Brien's, the piano bar. We had a traditional New Orleans Sunday brunch.

Now my best friend went and she actively LOATHED it. For religious/personal reasons, she wouldn't have done almost any of the things we did. (ghost stuff, voodoo stuff, etc.) So I'm not sure what she did there. (I think she went with her husband who was there for a medical conference.) But she came back hating it.

To each his or her own.
themilesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #40
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyNutMary View Post
Now that my kids are almost grown and out of the house, I've been planning my bucket list of places I want to visit. And this thread had pushed New Orleans to the top if the list (it was previously behind Memphis, Austin, Alaska and Boston). All of the suggestions of great places the OP might have missed have me longing to visit it even more. New Orleans sounds amazing, even for a non partier like me.
NOLA pros, how far does one have to venture from the city to visit a historic plantation. I've always wanted to visit one.
I'd recommend Houmas House, Nottaway or Oak Alley. If you are willing to travel a bit further, I'd HIGHLY recommend a trip to Saint Francisville. Tons of plantations there, plus the most haunted house in America, The Myrtles.

My blog!!

Last edited by Desiree; 02-10-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #41
POPCITY
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy
I always remember an episode of Designing Women when the gals went to New Orleans for a convention and they all seemed to throw their inhibitions out of the window. They described New Orleans as "Disneyland for adults." Very appropriate from what I've seen on Bourbon Street!

Having said that, I love the beignets from Cafe du Monde, pralines from anywhere, and a little eating establishment called Mothers.
Had the best poboy at Mothers, love that place!

I've only been to NOLA twice, but it is my favorite place, even over WDW.
POPCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #42
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Wow, so the OP expressed an opinion? Big deal. It's not for her. She's not telling everyone else to avoid it. Just wondering if others felt the way she did.

I went to Key West, FL and I didn't like it either. Granted, I was three months pregnant and just getting over morning sickness, but other than water sports and drinking, I really didn't think there was much left for me. My honest opinion, it felt like where everyone from Woodstock who never grew up out of the 60's went to spend their last days. The beach we stayed at was horrible -- stagnant, smelly water with nothing but seaweed and homeless people who sleep on the beach at night but know they have to leave first thing in the morning so the tourists can come to the beach. Didn't like it and wouldn't ever go back. But that's my opinion. Agree or disagree, I'm allowed to have an opinion.

Another poster said they didn't get the appeal of NYC. I LOVE NYC! I work in NYC. But I get that it's not for everyone. To each his own.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #43
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom
Wow, so the OP expressed an opinion? Big deal. It's not for her. She's not telling everyone else to avoid it. Just wondering if others felt the way she did.

I went to Key West, FL and I didn't like it either. Granted, I was three months pregnant and just getting over morning sickness, but other than water sports and drinking, I really didn't think there was much left for me. My honest opinion, it felt like where everyone from Woodstock who never grew up out of the 60's went to spend their last days. The beach we stayed at was horrible -- stagnant, smelly water with nothing but seaweed and homeless people who sleep on the beach at night but know they have to leave first thing in the morning so the tourists can come to the beach. Didn't like it and wouldn't ever go back. But that's my opinion. Agree or disagree, I'm allowed to have an opinion.

Another poster said they didn't get the appeal of NYC. I LOVE NYC! I work in NYC. But I get that it's not for everyone. To each his own.
I see nothing wrong with he post but I do have issue with another posters comments! They had an awful attitude about a place they have never visited!
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #44
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

DH had a conference there YEARS ago. we are not drinkers, so we avoided Bourbon Street (i'm not saying that only drinkers go there, but that area wasn't really our thing).

we LOVED Cafe du Monde. the food was fantastic everywhere we ate. we enjoyed walking down by the river and visiting the French Market.

i wanted to tour the cemeteries, but we didn't have time.

it wasn't my favorite place that we've been. i didn't hate it though.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #45
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy

I agree some did not behave in a manner that reflects the city well but many of those behaviors you listed IMOP have become so prevalent in our country. it bothers me to think that someone would think that it is just people from New Orleans who would behave that way.
People act terrible in some situations more readily than others. And some people, even refugees, can already be rotten.

Who cares if someone makes a judgment based in their experience with the people. I know people who won't visit France because they haven't liked some of the French people they've met. Have you read the comments about the Brazilian tourist groups and thus brazil? People talk about jersey line they know it because they've met rude jersey people or California because of some of the ca nutjobs. ( I grew up there. but get judged by that all the time)

I don't think it is rude as much as ignorant. But it really doesn't bother me. Maybe I'm weird!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: