Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
calikathy4
Earning My Ears

Does the slow season exist anymore?

I'm a so cal deluxe passholder. My family and I love Disneyland. I try to take my kids as much as I can. We were really looking forward to the "old days" when you could go in Jan/Feb and have low crowds. Since Carsland opened in DCA it seems like there isn't really a slow season anymore. Am I wrong? I check the crowd levels on a few apps I have on my iPhone and even on a weekday they are usually at 80% plus. The days we have gone this past month have all been moderately busy to very busy. Just wondering everyone's thoughts, experiences and suggestions.

There are days where we may have gone, but the app said 89% or something so we decided not to. Wondering if these apps are accurate, if there are better days to go, etc. We are passholders again, but just moved back to CA after being out of state for 5 years so I know things have changed. My crowd level gauge is always how long I have to wait for Winnie the Pooh, which my 4 year old loves. If I have to wait longer than 5 minutes, the park is reasonably crowded as it used to be you could walk on to that ride anytime in Jan/Feb.

My disclaimer: I understand we are very spoiled to live so close to Disneyland and the fact that we can take advantage of the park as much as we do. We truly wish everyone could experience the magic as often as we can.
calikathy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
pharmama
DIS Veteran

I am not sure how Mousewait calculates their overall park ratings but I have definitely wondered.

We were there in Jan (this year) on 1/3-1/6 and the park was PACKED. Mousewait was showing the parks in the upper 80s. We were there again on 1/26 and it was not bad at all. Almost everything in DCA (except RSR of course- though we arrived at 10am- 1hr after park opening and 2hrs after APEE began and we walked right up to the RSR FP machine and pulled times for 1:45pm) was near a walk on. DL was a little more crowded but not bad. And Mousewait showed both as mid 80's.

This experience has definitely made me wonder/a little wary of putting too much stock in the overall rating on MW.

pharmama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
dragonflycurls
Mouseketeer

I was wondering the same thing. I guess Carsland has paid off pretty well for Disney.

We are going this Wed-Fri, my father is actually at the parks today and said it was quite busy lots of people and long lines. When he called us he was in line for Tower of Terror- 60 minutes.
dragonflycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
LisaT91403
DIS Veteran

Based on my experience, the MouseWait Crowd Index is meaningless. Sometimes it shows a very high index, but when you look at the wait times, they are short. And then vice versa. It makes no sense. I have learned just to look at the wait times and ignore the index altogether.

I visited the parks on Wednesday, January 30th, and it was definitely off season. I think the longest wait we had was ~20 minutes, and that was in the RSR FastPass return line. Peter Pan was ~15 minutes. Everything else we rode was a shorter wait than 15 min, usually a "walk on" (which is less than 5 minute wait for me). I will add, however, that we skip a lot of the "E Ticket" rides because DS(4) isn't into them. But those lines looked really short or non-existant as well.
LisaT91403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
TheChapman6
DIS Veteran

I have no idea but I'm getting OCD and checking all the apps a few times a day to see what the wait times are. I want to be able to pack as much into our vacation as I possibly can. I did buy a membership to touring plans but I'm thinking about getting the ridemax thing too?

Pepper Wife to ScottTrenton(11)Trevor(10)Tr istan(9) Tracen(6)Tressa(4). Truett(2)
TheChapman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
RayB
Mouseketeer

See you in the parks Wednesday,Thursday will not be bad.Fri, Sat, Sunday will be packed pretty much.Son works there.Thursday it rained nobody there, Friday, Saturday, today packed pretty much.The weekdays in winter are really slower, son says Monday-Tuesday pretty slow.They run some of the rides half speed like Soaring...
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
dragonflycurls
Mouseketeer

We'll be in the parks for the afternoon/evening on Wednesday (flying in from Seattle in the morning) and then all day Thursday. We're hoping to get a lot done on these days- RSR on Wednesday, and then Thursday doing EE for Fantasyland, etc.

I am not personally a fan of the Cars movies, but I guess a lot of people are.
dragonflycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
jmac323
Mouseketeer

We were just there two weeks ago and other than Carsland didn't wait over 20 minutes for a ride. I did feel like there were more people than last February when we went but I surely would still say it was slower than Spring/Summer.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB
...The weekdays in winter are really slower, son says Monday-Tuesday pretty slow.They run some of the rides half speed like Soaring...
That's the entire balancing act. Disney runs the attractions at half capacity, which makes the wait times "acceptable" by Disney standards. What it does NOT necessarily mean is 10 minute waits that guests hope to have.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
LisaT91403
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
That's the entire balancing act. Disney runs the attractions at half capacity, which makes the wait times "acceptable" by Disney standards. What it does NOT necessarily mean is 10 minute waits that guests hope to have.

- Dreams
And depending on the ride, it can make a big difference or not. For example, when they run one Casey Jr train, the line can be longer/slower than in "busy" season with 2 trains running. On the other hand, when we last visited, they only ran Soarin' at partial capacity...and there still was no line. We didn't even get to use our FP because there was no wait in the standby line.
LisaT91403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
Lisa71
Adoption Rocks!

Most schools are still out the first week of January so the second and third weeks are better. Carsland I hear is still packed so we have avoided it. Super bowl Sunday used to be good but have not tried that in awhile.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
See you in the parks Wednesday,Thursday will not be bad.Fri, Sat, Sunday will be packed pretty much.Son works there.Thursday it rained nobody there, Friday, Saturday, today packed pretty much.The weekdays in winter are really slower, son says Monday-Tuesday pretty slow.They run some of the rides half speed like Soaring...
In addition to running rides at lower capacities, many attractions are also just plain closed.

Today I was in the parks on a normal "offseason" Sunday, but it felt really really crowded because...
-Big Thunder
-It's a Small World
-Splash Mountain
-Mad Tea Party
-Mark Twain Riverboat
were all closed. That's several thousand guests worth of capacity all closed for refurb!
Bouncy!
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
It'sKim
Mouseketeer

We are here now and have been here for the last week. The last 2 days have been ridiculously busy. Pretty much every ride we walked past yesterday was a 45 min wait (except Screamin which hovered around 15 every time we were near) I hate the crowds. We have been before at this time of year and enjoyed it. This time has made us think we need a break from Disney Between the crowds and the amount of refurbs going on, it felt like this trip just wasn't worth it. I imagine the large number of refurbs going on isn't helping the waits for other rides as people aren't as spread out. Oh well.
It'sKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #14
calikathy4
Earning My Ears

We were there yesterday too and it was so busy it was frustrating. That's what prompted this thread. Someone had posted last Saturday wasn't that busy so we took a chance yesterday. I feel like I'm missing out on info that can help plan out trips better. Will have to try a tues or weds next time and stop counting on mouse wait. Thanks for all the responses!
calikathy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
pharmama
DIS Veteran

Or at least look at individual wait times on MW rather than their overall 'score'?

pharmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: