Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Would You Return These Apples?

I'm not going to but I feel like I wasted so much money.

Today in the grocery store the actually had Honeycrisp Apples. I was buying these like crazy in the fall. They were about $1.39 a pound. I was so happy to see them back. They looked good, felt really firm so I bought five of them.

Got to the register and when she rung them up the bag was $11.50! Holy Cow. Well, I just kept them even those I'm sure she saw the shock on my face. But, I love good produce and it's a rarity this time of year.

Got home, cut open an apple and, while nice and crisp, it had absolutely no flavor. I hoped it was just that one apple. DH had one a bit later and had to throw his out--no flavor either.

I feel like I just threw away $11.00. I want to take them back but it's just not worth the aggravation. I'm not sure the store would take them anyway. What do you think?

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

I would try to take them back.

Worth a shot at that price. I bet they will return your money.
NAB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
etoiles
DIS Veteran

Since they were fresh and not spoiled I would not take them back. I guess it's the same as if I would buy a fresh tomato in the store now since it is out of season I don't expect it to taste the same.

Maybe you could make something with them in which you add flavor to it, like an applesauce with cinnamon and sugar added for extra flavor?

Me:
DH:
DS (1):
etoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Probably not. I never return food unless it is the same day and it is expired or moldy. Did you not look the right price? Could they have been rung up incorrectly? I'd have asked at the register and put them back then if I thought eh were too pricey. You might be able to return the 3 uneaten ones for a partial refund since you know you won't eat them. But 11.50 for 5 apples seems like a lot unless they are huge.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Agri
DIS Veteran

Chalk it up to experience. And slice them up and cook them with some brown sugar and/or honey with some cinnamon.

In my experience, out of season produce tends to be rather flavorless. I refuse to buy commercially grown tomatoes for the same reason. The plants/trees do not have the benefit of oodles of cross pollination and they tend to all taste similarly bland.
Agri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

No. I only return food if there is something wrong with it. Like the moldy hummus I bought a couple of weeks ago.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

I would re-purpose them:

Apple cake
apple pie
apple sauce
baked apples
apple cinnamon muffins
apple fritters

I like to bake.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

Yes, I would, without thinking twice! $11 for 5 apples is crazy, the store would be giving me a refund!!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Malibustyle23
DIS Veteran

No I wouldn't but I also never buy offseason produce expecting seasonal taste. Just because our grocers carry items year round does not mean they should.
Malibustyle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't take them back, I would repurpose them. It's a buyer beware situation when you buy produce out of season.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

No, I did not look at the price when I was at the bin. It never occurred to me that apples would be $2.90 per lb. Yes, they rang up correctly!!

I am of the mind that you are "at your own risk" with produce. For instance, if I pick out a whole watermelon and it is not good, that's on me. However, I have seen people returning them to the store and the produce manager encouraged it!!!

I just feel like I threw out $11.00. I doubt I'll do anything with them. Not much of a baker/fruit cooker here and I'm done for the day with cooking. These will be going out in the trash.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
etoiles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I'm not going to but I feel like I wasted so much money.

Today in the grocery store the actually had Honeycrisp Apples. I was buying these like crazy in the fall. They were about $1.39 a pound. I was so happy to see them back. They looked good, felt really firm so I bought five of them.

Got to the register and when she rung them up the bag was $11.50! Holy Cow. Well, I just kept them even those I'm sure she saw the shock on my face. But, I love good produce and it's a rarity this time of year.

Got home, cut open an apple and, while nice and crisp, it had absolutely no flavor. I hoped it was just that one apple. DH had one a bit later and had to throw his out--no flavor either.

I feel like I just threw away $11.00. I want to take them back but it's just not worth the aggravation. I'm not sure the store would take them anyway. What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxstch View Post
Yes, I would, without thinking twice! $11 for 5 apples is crazy, the store would be giving me a refund!!
To be fair, the OP knew what the price was when purchasing the item. If there was a question about the price it should have been brought up at the register right then, not after two apples have been eaten/thrown away.

I would just take it as a lesson about off season fruit/vegetables.

Me:
DH:
DS (1):
etoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

No I would not return them, but once they rang up at 11.50 I would have told the cashier that I no longer wanted them. As for the flavor I really wouldn't expect apples to have great flavor in the middle of the winter.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

No, I would not. It would never occur to me to return groceries. I have never heard of anyone returning groceries.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Scornelius
Suburban Princess
My last doctor didn't even make eye contact

I wouldn't return them, and I certainly wouldn't throw them out!! Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on them , give them to a neighbour or something, but I think it's shamefully wasteful to put good in the trash because it's not flavourful enough.
Scornelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: