Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #16
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
I am going to say this is probably the rudest post I have ever seen here on so many levels. I love New Orleans which is my home town and can't imagine how someone who has never visited could have such a negative opinion on the area.
No kidding. Especially when talking about Katrina refugees. Nice.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
ilovejack02
what do you all think?

So you posted on here to bash Nola because you don't like basil , one odd bathroom and you found the carriage rides pricey ?

On the bright side of things , you prob lost a few lbs while visiting our great state.

Last edited by ilovejack02; 02-10-2013 at 03:26 PM.
ilovejack02 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #18
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy

I am going to say this is probably the rudest post I have ever seen here on so many levels. I love New Orleans which is my home town and can't imagine how someone who has never visited could have such a negative opinion on the area.
I don't know. Isn't it sort of like people saying they never need to go to brazil because they have seen enough Brazilian behavior from the btg's?

NOT MY POINT OF VIEW, AND I LIKE NEW ORLEANS BUNCHES!!

But, I was in Houston a lot around the time if Katrina, dealing with some Red Cross stuff. Even from the people trying to help, much of what I heard was not good about people scamming systems, playing agencies against one another and harassing locals also in need of services. That doesn't mean everyone from there is like that, just like all brazillians don't crash lines and chant.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square

I don't know. Isn't it sort of like people saying they never need to go to brazil because they have seen enough Brazilian behavior from the btg's?

But, I was in Houston a lot around the time if Katrina, dealing with some Red Cross stuff. Even from the people trying to help, much of what I heard was not good about people scamming systems, playing agencies against one another and harassing locals also in need of services. That doesn't mean everyone from there is like that, just like all brazillians don't crash lines and chant.
I agree some did not behave in a manner that reflects the city well but many of those behaviors you listed IMOP have become so prevalent in our country. it bothers me to think that someone would think that it is just people from New Orleans who would behave that way.
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #20
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

I am from Michigan too . My inlaws happen to live just outside of New Orleans, so I have visited there a few times. Personally I LOVE it! But two days would be enough time for me to: get some beignets at Cafe du Monde, walk through the market, visit the French Quarter, drink an adult beverage while strolling the streets , eat a delicious meal at Pat O'Brien's, walk the riverfront and check out the mall there, go for a trolley ride, and just soak in the fantastic history of the place ! Oh, and I love me some crawfish !!! We did try out a restaurant during our last visit that I had seen on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives (Joey Ks) but it wasn't so great. I can see how it wouldn't be a place everyone would enjoy, but I think you kind of need to know you would like most of what it has to offer before you venture there.
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #21
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

My BIL was there for work for quite a while.
My sister got to see the real New Orleans.
The good (she also had a hard time finding it) the bad and the ugly.
The VERY ugly.

Her reaction/opinion...
Never, NEVER, EVER again.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
FayeW
DIS Veteran

I am going to a conference in NOLA in Sept, and I decided to bring my husband with me and make a mini vacation out of it. He was there with the CDN military helping clean up after Katrina, and he is looking forward to seeing it now.

We are going two days ahead of the conference to do some touristy stuff. I would love to have some recommendations on what the locals consider "must do" and recommendations for restaurants.
FayeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

DH and I grew up on the gulf coast, so we went to NO regularly. One of the top pleasures of mylife was introducing the kids to the wonders of Louisiana.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #24
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
I live about 90 minutes away from NO.

I think possibly, to have a good time in NO, you need to approach it the way a first timer needs to approach WDW - with lots of planning and lots and lots of questions to people who know the terrain.

I'm left wondering - did you do a walking tour of the French Quarter? Did you see the 1855 house? St. Louis Cathedral? Do the tour of St. Louis #1? The Presbytre? Did you go to the Aquarium? The Insectarium? The Museum at the US Mint? The WWII museum? Did you ride the riverboat? Why didn't you stop and just sit at Cafe du Monde for a while with beignets and cafe au lait? Did you check the crowd levels before you decided on that particular weekend and realize how many people would be there? Or read up on where the good public restrooms are? (Yes, there are some. You just have to know where they are - they're sort of tucked into the museums and national park stuff.) Did you check the map to find where Bourbon street was so you could make one pass to see the spectacle and then avoid it. (We take first timers through there once for a couple of blocks, and then we're done and do something that's really fun in the Quarter.)

I honestly didn't even recognize any of the restaurants you named - that doesn't mean other people won't, and I could have just missed them, but still, that gave me pause. I and all the other Southeast Louisiana folks would've happily steered you to the best eateries in the city. (These days I am in love with Couchon's for a good sit down meal and Boucherie, which a sandwich shop at the back of Couchon's, for a quick meal.)

I'm really sorry you had a bad time, but NO is a city that does take planning ahead to really enjoy - just like a Disney trip!
^^ this... I have lived in Louisiana my whole life and I can honestly say I have never heard of the places that you mentioned that you went to. I agree that there are a lot of areas that I can see would not be entertaining for lots of folks, but I think you really missed out on a lot more that the city had to offer. Walking tours, The French Market, WW2 Museum, Audubon Zoo, The Garden District are all things that appeal to me and when I bring company down to NOLA those are things that we do.

And besides all that, did you really get a chance to speak with any of the locals? Louisiana has some of the most friendly folks around. And I'm not naive enough to know that there isn't bad down there.. trust me, there is PLENTY of that. But it seems all you found was "bad" without even trying to find the good.

My blog!!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
Acklander
DIS Veteran

I love new Orleans - the history, the architecture, the music, the food. I always describe it as a city with personality. Just like any city, it has it's good and it's bad. I agree with the others, you have to do your research.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #26
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post

A few bad apples after Katrina give NOLA a bad rep? Don't go to the Northeast then because my cousin lives in Tribeca and he has lots of stories to tell about people after Sandy.
Seriously, some people are rotten whether there has been a weather disaster or not. You can go anywhere in this country or in the world and there are bad people. I won't allow those few prevent me from revisiting a place I like or in the case of New Orleans, I love.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #27
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi

A few bad apples after Katrina give NOLA a bad rep? Don't go to the Northeast then because my cousin lives in Tribeca and he has lots of stories to tell about people after Sandy.
Seriously, some people are rotten whether there has been a weather disaster or not. You can go anywhere in this country or in the world and there are bad people. I won't allow those few prevent me from revisiting a place I like or in the case of New Orleans, I love.
True. But if you are the one dealing with the bad apples they leave a bad taste. It is just the way it goes. That poster didnt love New Orleans already so they have no reason to believe it is anything different than what they experienced people wise...thus the btg analogy...
Old 02-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #28
SnowWhite607
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
^^ this... I have lived in Louisiana my whole life and I can honestly say I have never heard of the places that you mentioned that you went to. I agree that there are a lot of areas that I can see would not be entertaining for lots of folks, but I think you really missed out on a lot more that the city had to offer. Walking tours, The French Market, WW2 Museum, Audubon Zoo, The Garden District are all things that appeal to me and when I bring company down to NOLA those are things that we do.

And besides all that, did you really get a chance to speak with any of the locals? Louisiana has some of the most friendly folks around. And I'm not naive enough to know that there isn't bad down there.. trust me, there is PLENTY of that. But it seems all you found was "bad" without even trying to find the good.
I would have to agree. Sounds like the OP didnt do anything that a typical tourist would do. Nothing like a jazz riverboat dinner cruise up and down the Mississippi, a ghost tour of the French Quarter, watching the street artists in Jackson Square, riding the streetcar, jazz brunch at the House of Blues.....all those things to me are typical New Orleans. I live about 25 miles north of the city.

And how about next time instead of complaining, you just ask for your salad with no basil.

Oh and as far as the Katrina thing, so sorry if some of us got a bit snarky at times. Like, our houses floated away in case you missed it on the news. I am sure I wasnt the most gracious houseguest all the time but knowing that my house was destroyed, that I would have to go thru months of insurance red tape, years of home remodeling and not knowing if I would have a job when I went home or if I would ever be able to keep my 4 year old safe from things like this can kind of grate on a person's nerves.
1976-offsite, 1985-offsite, April 1986-AS Sports, 1990 - AS Sports, Dec 1998 - AS Sports, June 2005 with DD for the first time - AS Music, July 2006 - Caribbean Beach/Coronado Springs, July 2007 Poly, June 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge/Grand Floridian, Feb 2009 - Pop! June 2009 - Beach Club, March 2011 -Pop! June 2012 - Port Orleans FQ, March 2014 - Mother Daughter trip - POFQ, November 2014 - POFQ

Last edited by SnowWhite607; 02-10-2013 at 03:54 PM.
SnowWhite607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #29
SnowWhite607
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeW View Post
I am going to a conference in NOLA in Sept, and I decided to bring my husband with me and make a mini vacation out of it. He was there with the CDN military helping clean up after Katrina, and he is looking forward to seeing it now.

We are going two days ahead of the conference to do some touristy stuff. I would love to have some recommendations on what the locals consider "must do" and recommendations for restaurants.
You can do a cruise on the riverboat. If you go on certain evenings, they do dinner and a jazz band. The zoo and aquarium are fun. I would say definitely try to have a po-boy at Maspero's or Mothers. And beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe Du Monde. That is a MUST DO for sure!
1976-offsite, 1985-offsite, April 1986-AS Sports, 1990 - AS Sports, Dec 1998 - AS Sports, June 2005 with DD for the first time - AS Music, July 2006 - Caribbean Beach/Coronado Springs, July 2007 Poly, June 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge/Grand Floridian, Feb 2009 - Pop! June 2009 - Beach Club, March 2011 -Pop! June 2012 - Port Orleans FQ, March 2014 - Mother Daughter trip - POFQ, November 2014 - POFQ
SnowWhite607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #30
esk
DIS Veteran

DH and I went last year and we were not impressed but not horrified either. We liked Charleston better.

We loved the Garden District (stayed there, jogged it every morning, watch out for those cobblestones!) and did a walking tour, lunch at Commander's Palace, cemetery tour. Visited Frenchman Street (DH loves jazz) but we don't do well with smoke so only visited 2 places. Did not see Cafe du Monde because it was crazy crowded, we skipped it. Liked the trolley, loved Tulane area. French Quarter was nasty at 10 am on a Sunday morning.... we walked it and finally left, it smelled bad and there were drunks passed out on the streets. Thought the market was very touristy.

I would go back for the WWII Museum and to see the parts of the city that are NOT the French Quarter but then, there are many other interesting places I'd like to see, so don't know that we will go back.

But I have traveled to other places that are very popular and not loved them (Prague, Munich, Amsterdam) and loved others (Siena, London, Paris). What works for one doesn't work for all and while it sometimes makes you think "huh, everyone loves that but I didn't really like it" it doesn't make me feel anything other than "where to next?"
esk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: