Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #826
micandminforever
DIS Veteran

I look forward to reading about your new adventure at and around Disney.
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
micandminforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #827
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

I have just spent my entire day at work reading your TR! So much of it resonated with me (we took our only DS to DL in Sept/Oct 2011 when he was 4 - he turned 5 on our last day there - and he was scared of a lot of the same rides as your DS).

I intend to show him the pics of your brave DS on the go-coaster, as we are going back later this year and would really like him to go on it! (We made the mistake of taking him on Space Mountain on our first day in DL and he HATED it, so much so that before every ride after that he would ask "Is this a roller coaster?"!)

Looks like you had an absolute ball - well done for recording it all in your TR. I love all the food shots too!

Oh, I yearn to go back there - it's going to be a loooooong 7 months for us!

Disney World - Dec 2015
Kristin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #828
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

What are your dates for your March trip? It looks like we are going to just miss each other. My dad and I head down on April 1.

Ohhh, an offsite adventure?! I'm intrigued!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #829
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Caught up and well.... WOW! awesome trip. Inspired me to finally finish mine from leap year. Great pics BTW, I assume its a DSLR by the D.O.F. in some of your pics. Mind if I ask what camera exactly?
Markie Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #830
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Caught up

YAY for A March- Back in May for Me!!!
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back

Last edited by Poolrat; 03-05-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #831
disneyfan61
DIS Veteran

Ok I am finally caught up!!

LOVE the Legoland pics & MiniLand-WOW.

Poor Henry looked so scared on the coaster. I thought you were going to say that he did not go back on. He did look much braver when he went on the second time.

Love all your NY Christmas pics.

Ok ready for more now...
disneyfan61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #832
Misskitty3
DIS Veteran

I just got caught up! Yay!!

First of all, your little Henry is absolutely adorable!! What a cutie!

Secondly, those botanical garden photos are AMAZING!! How long have they been doing that?

Thirdly, what kind of camera are you using? Your pictures are fabulous! Especially the one of you and Henry on Gadgets go coaster. I am impressed your DH was able to get such a great shot! That thing goes so fast and has so many twists and turns!

Disneyland: June '13 - Hojo's.....May '12 - BWPPI..... May ’09 - Hojo’s….Oct ‘07 – Grand Californian….Nov ‘06 – Paradise Pier.…June ’04 – Disneyland Hotel.…June ‘96 Anaheim Hilton…. July ‘95 - Carousel Inn….Aug ’92 – Carousel Inn…July ’90 - Embassy Suites…July ’89 - Anaheim Hilton…May ’88 - Penny Sleeper…May ’87 - Penny Sleeper…April ’77 (?)…June ’76 - Disneyland Hotel….June ‘73 First trip ever to Disneyland!!!

WDW: July ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center.…April ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center….July ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center….April ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center
Misskitty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 AM   #833
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Has it been THREE months?! Honestly? Time has FLOWN for me, I swear I did an update here about a month ago. I'm sorry. I LOVE writing these TRs, but time just completely escapes me! I have two weeks until our next trip, so I am determined to finish this so I can start on a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I'm finally caught up! I had to go back a few updates. Legoland looks so cool. (They could've left out the guy in the Grand Central Station bathroom though. ) I really liked the Washington D.C. layout. I wouldn't have minded more Star Wars pictures though. James was in a robotics club last year and they used those Lego Mindstorm's for the robots. We thought about getting him one for Christmas last year, but they're so expensive that it would've been his only gift so decided not to.

I enjoyed the Disneyland updates too, and the miniature buildings at the model train thing you went to looked amazing.

Congrats to Henry on conquering his first coaster!
Oh my...I'm going to have to find a robotics club for Henry when he's a bit older - for Joe! Joe talks endlessly about the Mindstorms and how he can't wait for Henry to be old enough for them. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Toon town is such a neat area in DL. I think it really appeals to he young ones (that and bugs world in DCA). Gadgets go coaster is a good starter coaster. Yay! For Henry for conquering it! And the interactive parts.... OMG, they are so fun! The only thing I dislike is the characters wandering without handlers. I think it lends itself to a bit of chaos when people want to meet them. In your case though, it is in fact very neat that Henry got such one on one time! You don't see much of that with handlers around.
Yes! We have a blast in both Toontown and Bugs Land! More of that is coming up soon.

I really enjoyed there being no handlers - but it was January and the parks were fairly empty. I'm guessing even when it's a tad busier it can be chaotic like you said. One time a family totally budged in front of EVERYONE, that was a tad annoying! If it happened regularly, I wouldn't have been too happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
I'm making my way though your trip report. We're headed to DL for the first time with our 3 kiddos in February. But, I had to jump in and say your "teen on a train" pic has me cracking up! As to who made him do it, my money's on the blonde with the smirk!
Well, since I'm 3 months behind on my own TR ...how was your trip? I hope you all had a great time! And yes, I bet you are right that it was the blonde with the smirk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylyons View Post
Yeah the waits can get a little insane. We've only done New Years Eve once and we ended up leaving around 10 pm cuz it was just way too cold for a 3 month old and a 22 month old!!!

Love the Train Show!! I could see my family doing something like that and enjoying it too!!!

YEAH!!!! Glad Henry loved Gadget's Go Coaster!!!! It's always great when something turns out to be a success!!! The only time's I've seen no handlers witht he characters is when the crowds are huge!! But once the crowds hit expect someone to be with them at all times!!

Oh and DH just agreed to go to Legoland on our next trip!!!! We're getting a deal where we bascially pay for one day this year and get one day free next year!!!! So excitied and Jeremy is going to be in heaven!!!! What little boy wouldn't be when he's immersed in everything Lego!!!
That is FANTASTIC about Legoland! You will all love it! We are entertaining getting to the Florida LL sometime later this year. We just have to see if it will all work out like I have the plans going in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I read your update before I left for work this morning and I was all smiles seeing Henry do his first coaster.

Way to go Henry! You the Man!
I was SO proud of him! Since then he's conquered the Barnstormer as well. I'm hoping we get a few rides in on that baby later this month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
Yay for Henry! I'm glad he loved the coaster.
He did! He still talks about it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Yay for Henry. I am so glad he loved the rollar coaster. it would be right up Claire's alley too. She loves barnstormer, but still isn't too sure on the bigger ones.
Henry conquered Barnstormer in October and loved it too. I'm hoping he still likes it in a couple weeks! He isn't so keen on the big ones yet either, hopefully soon! I'm also hoping he'll do Test Track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Merry Christmas Brook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylyons View Post
I hope you and your family had a very Mery Christmas!!! We leave in just 2 short days for our New Year's trip to Disneyland!!! Happy New Year!!
Thanks everyone...and Happy Easter!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #834
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3babes View Post
Henry is so brave and big! What a great kiddo. I love that he tried it and had so much fun. His scared face is too precious.
I was so proud of him that he tried it. I always try to encourage him to TRY things, just once. He's a bit of a timid kid, so sometimes that is more difficult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
What an awesome train show! I want to go to New York too!

Henry did look scared on the coaster! He must have loved it to go again. I'm so impressed with Toon Town in DL!
He LOVED it! He still talks about it! Toontown is incredible, so many fun little details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
It took me all afternoon, but I'm caught up! I'm really enjoying your Disneyland pictures. I can't wait to get out there one day. LegoLand looks fun too... we are really on the fence about going there (FL). Zach is 9 & Alex is 12. Zach LOVES Legos but I think Alex would be very bored.

I love the different NY holiday pictures too!!
I am thinking Alex might be a touch bored as well. The rides, as you can see, are very kid-focused. There are a few coasters (tamer ones), and a couple water rides that I'm sure he would enjoy - but overall, he might get bored quickly. Does he still like to build? There are the "imagination" areas and doing some of the big-boy Legos, like the Mindstorms, might interest him more. Perhaps you can each take a child and attack different areas of the park? Regardless, look for coupons if/when you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Hi Brook! I am not on here much lately, but today, in my frenzy of summer vacation planning (yes- for August- I'm sure you understand ) I thought, I need to read a DL TR! So AWESOME and so HAPPY it's yours!!! Loving it all- only on your first full day- and have to run, but in case ten million of your fans have not told you yet- you are AMAZING with Henry, and don't worry- sooner than you can imagine, he'll be draggin YOU on rides YOU are afraid of!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Yay for the brave boy! He really is soooo stinkin cute! It was great seeing how excited he was about Legoland, too- and you're right, my older boys would not enjoy it! I think we're planning to do Knotts and the beach instead- they're also going to see an Angels game one night (while i run around DL by myself, geeking out on all the stuff they wouldn't do.

Thanks for keeping me company on this snowy day!
Welcome Ellen! As you can tell, I don't get on here much anymore either. It was good chatting with you via Facebook the other day too, I hope we are able to meet up in a couple weeks.

You will LOVE Disneyland! So many amazing details. It's just fantastic. Love, love, LOVE it. I wish I could say we were definitely getting back there this year, but I don't think it's going to happen. Good move on avoiding Legoland with your boys - Knotts is more their speed. How FUN that you get a night solo too!!

Thank you for the sweet words about Henry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerrn2 View Post
Have a Happy New Year!!! Hope you did something exciting to ring in the New Year! I bet it is great fun there in New York this time of year!
Thank you!!! A tad late...LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleTinkMom View Post
I am soo trying to get caught up on the DIS. I'm so glad that y'all fared well for Sandy. I know first hand how hard those times are/were. I am here on the Gulf Coast around New Orleans, we had Hurricane Katrina a few years back. I will continue to keep all those affected by Sandy in my prayers.
Oh gosh, yes, you know how it is first hand! There are still people recovering here, I just cannot even imagine losing EVERYTHING. Makes me stop and count my blessings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireW View Post
Haven't posted in a while but enjoyed reading the last few updates. Really liked seeing the holiday Small World.
Hope your New Year has got off to a good start
Thank you!!! The Holiday Small World is adorable! They do such a great job on it.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #835
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Good to "see" you! Yay for still going to Disney even if it means switching it from February to May. The plans look great!
The switch to March has been SO good in so many ways. Our week in February was reallyyyyyyy cold in Orlando too. I'm so excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneybuckeye View Post
Hi Brook!

I have been a small poster, but mainly lurker, or many of your trip reports. When I found out last week I was going to Disneyland in 2 weeks I immediately went to the trip reports section to find out as must as I could about DL. I was very excited to read your report to help me get ready for my trip. Thanks for all the details and explanations.

I am a little worried as I have no idea what we are getting ourselves into as I have not been to DL in over 20 years. Reading your report and looking at your pictures really helped a lot.

Have a great Disney year and enjoy your upcoming trip!
So glad you found my report and that it helped! I hope you had an amazing time! I know when we were going out there it was a bit strange - I had done some research, but not a TON. I wasn't 100% sure what to expect, so I wanted to bring home some details for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Henry's face is soooo serious on Gadget's Go Coaster.... he looks scared and like he's deciding something... so cute... I guess he decided that he liked it! That's a great little first coaster... if I remember it is very short but it has a nice little zip to it...

Toontown in DL seemed more elaborate and thought out in DL than it ever did in WDW (although I did think it was cute in WDW but I like what's there now better), it really does feel like it's own land in DL.. and the Roger Rabbit ride is really kinda cute...... I think they used to have a Jolly Trolley there... there are still tracks... Do you know if they decided not to use that anymore?

Hurray for your March trip... & 11 days to boot...
Yes, Toontown is much better in DL than it ever was in WDW! It truly is a full scale land in DL, we spent quite a bit of time back there, but even still skipped over a few things. I've heard the Roger Rabbit ride is very good, we didn't do it-next time!

Nto sure about the Jolly Trolley, I didn't see one...might have to Google that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandminforever View Post
I look forward to reading about your new adventure at and around Disney.
I am determined to finish this one so I can write the next TR! I've missed writing two cruises and a WDW trip since I started this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin5 View Post
I have just spent my entire day at work reading your TR! So much of it resonated with me (we took our only DS to DL in Sept/Oct 2011 when he was 4 - he turned 5 on our last day there - and he was scared of a lot of the same rides as your DS).

I intend to show him the pics of your brave DS on the go-coaster, as we are going back later this year and would really like him to go on it! (We made the mistake of taking him on Space Mountain on our first day in DL and he HATED it, so much so that before every ride after that he would ask "Is this a roller coaster?"!)

Looks like you had an absolute ball - well done for recording it all in your TR. I love all the food shots too!

Oh, I yearn to go back there - it's going to be a loooooong 7 months for us!
I hope my TR helped in the roller coaster department! Gadget's is a great coaster for kids - it's got zip, but isn't too scary and is SHORT. So it's all over very quickly just in case he does hate it. Later in the trip though I convinced Henry onto Big Thunder Mountain... BAD move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
What are your dates for your March trip? It looks like we are going to just miss each other. My dad and I head down on April 1.

Ohhh, an offsite adventure?! I'm intrigued!
Yes, we are just missing each other! We leave on April 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Mouse View Post
Caught up and well.... WOW! awesome trip. Inspired me to finally finish mine from leap year. Great pics BTW, I assume its a DSLR by the D.O.F. in some of your pics. Mind if I ask what camera exactly?
Thank you for reading!!! Yes, we do have a DSLR, it's a Cannon XSi - a model from a few years ago. It's a great camera for both manual modes and automatic. We generally leave it on auto for vacations-it's just easier. We recently bought a zoom lens for it, and will be buying a new lens for our upcoming WDW trip. The kit lens is pretty much "meh", but it fit our needs fine as we mostly just use it for family pictures and not professional photography! But, it finally broke, so we are on to bigger and better lenses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Caught up

YAY for A March- Back in May or Me!!!
Yay for your May trip!! May is such a lovely time to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan61 View Post
Ok I am finally caught up!!

LOVE the Legoland pics & MiniLand-WOW.

Poor Henry looked so scared on the coaster. I thought you were going to say that he did not go back on. He did look much braver when he went on the second time.

Love all your NY Christmas pics.

Ok ready for more now...
He was so scared at first, but determined! I'm so glad he enjoyed it! Can't say the same for a ride later in the day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misskitty3 View Post
I just got caught up! Yay!!

First of all, your little Henry is absolutely adorable!! What a cutie!

Secondly, those botanical garden photos are AMAZING!! How long have they been doing that?

Thirdly, what kind of camera are you using? Your pictures are fabulous! Especially the one of you and Henry on Gadgets go coaster. I am impressed your DH was able to get such a great shot! That thing goes so fast and has so many twists and turns!
I'm not sure how long the Train Show has been going on, but quite a few years! Can you imagine all the work that goes into it?!

I am TOTALLY impressed at the shots Joe got on Gadget's! I tried to do the same when Henry rode with Joe...um ya.... I have NO clue how he did it! We have a Cannon XSi. It's a few years old, but a great camera!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #836
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Girl on a Mission

When I left off (last year!), we were exiting Toontown. I was a girl on a mission.

Where to, you ask?

Through the hub

Through Fontierland (and if I remember correctly, there was some filming going on here, so we had to back track a bit)

Wave hello to the cowboy - but keep on marchin'!

Oh! That's where we ate the other night! It was too dark then to see what it really looked like.

Nope, not here. I've heard this is good though.

The line for Pirate's stretched out of the building this morning. But like WDW's it always moves fast, so it doesn't really matter.

New Orleans Square! We are almost there!

The band is fantastic, but don't linger long...

So pretty.

Here we are!

YES!

So for anyone here that knows me, what did I cross the park for?

If you guessed

You would be correct!

Mickey shaped beignets.

Of course if you guessed "coffee", which would be an excellent guess, you were also correct.

These were VERY high on my to-do list and I HAD to try them. Years ago I had beignets in New Orleans and fell in love! I will be trying them at Port Orleans French Quarter on our upcoming trip too!

These were quite good. I was a bit disappointed the the powdered sugar basically missed most of the Mickey's and there wasn't nearly enough - but, still good. I was a happy girl.

Henry had no shortage of powdered sugar; however.

The seating area at the French Market was nice and quiet. A musician came out when we were finishing up.

Once we had devoured our little Mickey shaped beauties, we decided to adventure through New Orleans Square, since the only time we had been back there was at night.

Glancing out to the Rivers of America - we are in New Orleans Square, Pirate's of the Caribbean is behind us, you can see Frontierland along the riverfront. Just to give you a sense of the park!

More coming soon...I'm determined to finish this before our next trip!
<-- from Henry!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #838
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

You were a woman on a mission and I can certainly see why. Beignets! I love 'em! I used to make them fairly often when the kids were little. Henry looks so cute with the sprinkles of powdered sugar all over him.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #839
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Yay! Its almost here!

Well, the app deleted part of my post- so...

Just wanted to say that looked delicious, I have put the little Mickey heads on my must do list!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #840
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Love beignets...yummy!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: