Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #16
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

no advice, just ~~
Old 02-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #17
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

I was on a 14 day treatment for stomach issues p-lory bacteria that was found when I had my endoscopy and stomach biopsy. I had to take 2 antibotics and prilosec, twice a day for 14 days. I love to eat!!! Well one of the side effects was nausea, stomach issues, horrible taste in mouth. Well for those 14 days I felt AWFUL!!!!! I want to nap a lot so I didnt have to deal with the nausea , feeling yucky and just felt tired. Food I loved to eat made me cringe just thinking about it. Certain foods smell made me sick.

I know its hard but when people are sick or taking meds theres nothing they can do about it. Be patient.

Eat meals you want to make but remind yourself that your dh might not want to eat. Go out to dinner with your dd or friends. Hopefully when treatment is finished you and your dh can enjoy many meals together. I finish my meds and let me tell you I'm back to my old self loving food Hang in there!
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #18
EdiePA
DIS Veteran since 1997
Believing in God is way more important than believing in TFs... ;)

I live alone now (post divorce and my two sons growing up.) I can understand the frustration of cooking for one after years of cooking for a family. I also work a very tiring job and when I get home, I don't feel like spending another hour cooking.

What works for me is cooking on the weekends. I pick recipes that I've found over the week or go back to some tried and true past favorites (even those my mom made in my childhood.) I make the entire recipe and then freeze portions of it. (Lots of those Glad/Ziplock containers in my pantry.) I've been doing two recipes a weekend for awhile now and have quite the assortment in my freezer.

As everyone has said, take care of yourself, too!

Hugs,
Edie

Never, ever underestimate the power of a dare!!
EdiePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #19
shortbun
Peacenik

I hope you find a way to get some relief. I think the cooking several things in one day is a great idea. You can reheat then. We all eat differently around here. DS rarely eats meat, DH and I eat it most nights-we Do have meatless nights about 3 nights. We make a salad, potatoes or rice and DS has tofu while we eat chicken, often with the same sauce/marinade. When I make soup, I divide it at the point of adding the protein. DS gets veggie with veggie broth and I add chicken to ours(sometimes). We eat salmon, he has pasta as his entree, it's our side dish. I use meat substitute in our pasta often in the sauce. Seems like you could get creative without having to cook two or three complete meals. Just bake some thighs or breasts and add them to your dinner. Make a meatloaf and have meatloaf sandwiches while the others eat PBJ.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #20
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I would probably continue to make the meals you like to make and have them available to your husband--you never know. Whatever he doesn't eat, even if it is half of the entire meal--freeze it and save it for yourself later.

Maybe once a week, make a few batches of different types of home made soup that he likes, get some hot dogs, stuff he likes. On those days have the soups or hot dogs handy and you can reheat one of your regular meals.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #21
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Your husband's current dislike of veggies isn't really that odd, considering his ailment. Sounds like he's most comfortable eating (and digesting) things with low fiber. Veggies = fiber. I can't imagine having to digest a complex nutritional profile when I'm sick to start with. Soups, grilled cheese, etc. are the easiest things for your DH right now. I'm sure he's as frustrated with his eating restrictions as you are.

But honestly, to tell yourself that it's not worth it to cook a good meal for just you is adding a level of drama to this that doesn't need to be there. It's almost as though you're trying to create your own food issue so that you can "compete" with his. (Totally unconsciously.)

You've gotten great advice here about cooking and storing meals for yourself and how to keep eating and cooking what you like so that you don't feel resentful. But also experiment with new thing for your DH. You love to cook, so put that to use! Research his condition and try new recipes. Develop some of your own. Find food that comforts him while challenging you. There's no reason why the two things have to be mutually exclusive.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #22
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you got some great ideas here. Too bad we don't live closer, because you totally could cook for me

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #23
Agri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
The main side effect of all this, for me at least, is that I find myself getting hungrier. I want to eat everything, all the time. I think it's because I'm not getting enough protein. And that I'm feeling totally frustrated and deprived. Who wants to fix a whole dinner just for one? Foo...
My mom was on chemo for 3 years following brain surgery. I started out doing exactly this - my diet was her diet, essentially. As you know, chemo treatments make some foods just taste "not right." My mom started out with chemo wafers in her brain that made few things taste good/proper to her. There was a lot of hard boiled egg eating at our house during those days. When she was on pills eggs were gross and fruit was in.

After her tumor came back, they put her on IV chemo which brought eat another diet. She's now decided she no longer wants treatment, so we're back to a "normal" diet.

With chemo, you really just have to work around their diet since it's important to maintain weight. If all he can eat is hotdogs and beans, then that's what he can eat.

I'll also add that there are a TON of anti-nausea meds out there - if the current one isn't working, keep fussing until you find one or a combo that works. What worked best for my mom was the dissolving Zofran. She had taken it in pill form with little luck, but the different form was the answer for her.

At any rate, I learned that since I have to take care of her, I need to eat what I want to eat. I tend to cook things that freeze easily and invested in a bunch of smaller (and stackable) storage containers. It's easy to defrost things that I have frozen with the bonus that I've frozen them in containers that hold 1-2 servings. I didn't cook all at one time, I'd make a big batch of whatever and freeze all but 2-4 servings. When I was sick of eating that, I'd cook again. After a few times you have a pretty nice variety in the freezer. I found it too difficult to cook a bunch of food in one day because I just didn't have the time/energy in my situation.

I know it's hard because you're eating the food that makes him feel ill and there is definitely a level of guilt that goes along with that. It's kind of like ordering a giant sugary dessert and eating it in front of a diabetic or settling down to a rare steak in front of a strict vegan. If the smell alone bothers him, snack with him when he eats his meal and then when he's asleep in another room you eat what you NEED to eat. If you're starving and weak and even more stressed out YOU and your IMMUNE system will suffer. It's so difficult, but caregivers need to take time and take care of themselves as well. If you take care of yourself, it reduces the chances of you catching an illness that you then pass onto your husband.

Also, take yourself out to eat once a week (less often, obviously if $$ is tight). My once a week meal out saved my sanity. I got time to myself AND I could eat the stinkier foods that might bother my mom.
Agri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxstch View Post
no advice, just ~~
A caregiver needs lots of

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.....After all, tomorrow is another day"
Scarlett O'Hara
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agri

My mom was on chemo for 3 years following brain surgery. I started out doing exactly this - my diet was her diet, essentially. As you know, chemo treatments make some foods just taste "not right." My mom started out with chemo wafers in her brain that made few things taste good/proper to her. There was a lot of hard boiled egg eating at our house during those days. When she was on pills eggs were gross and fruit was in.

After her tumor came back, they put her on IV chemo which brought eat another diet. She's now decided she no longer wants treatment, so we're back to a "normal" diet.

With chemo, you really just have to work around their diet since it's important to maintain weight. If all he can eat is hotdogs and beans, then that's what he can eat.

I'll also add that there are a TON of anti-nausea meds out there - if the current one isn't working, keep fussing until you find one or a combo that works. What worked best for my mom was the dissolving Zofran. She had taken it in pill form with little luck, but the different form was the answer for her.

At any rate, I learned that since I have to take care of her, I oneed to eat what I want to eat. I tend to cook things that freeze easily and invested in a bunch of smaller (and stackable) storage containers. It's easy to defrost things that I have frozen with the bonus that I've frozen them in containers that hold 1-2 servings. I didn't cook all at one time, I'd make a big batch of whatever and freeze all but 2-4 servings. When I was sick of eating that, I'd cook again. After a few times you have a pretty nice variety in the freezer. I found it too difficult to cook a bunch of food in one day because I just didn't have the time/energy in my situation.

I know it's hard because you're eating the food that makes him feel ill and there is definitely a level of guilt that goes along with that. It's kind of like ordering a giant sugary dessert and eating it in front of a diabetic or settling down to a rare steak in front of a strict vegan. If the smell alone bothers him, snack with him when he eats his meal and then when he's asleep in another room you eat what you NEED to eat. If you're starving and weak and even more stressed out YOU and your IMMUNE system will suffer. It's so difficult, but caregivers need to take time and take care of themselves as well. If you take care of yourself, it reduces the chances of you catching an illness that you then pass onto your husband.

Also, take yourself out to eat once a week (less often, obviously if $$ is tight). My once a week meal out saved my sanity. I got time to myself AND I could eat the stinkier foods that might bother my mom.
Thank you for that. I think you hit the nail on the head. I really do understand that DH can't help it. The only thing I can compare it to is when I had terrible morning sickness and I could hardly eat--I lost 10-20lbs with each pregnancy.
I'm going to see of DH might like to get a tasty slice of pizza for lunch. I figure one slice would be less overwhelming than having a while pizza on the table. For suppr I'm going to make beef tips, baked potatoes, brussel sprouts and broccoli. We will see how that goes.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #26
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

I have no advice other than you need to remember to think about yourself. You are a natural caregiver and it i your nature to put others first, but you need to make room for you.

It is okay to cook things that you like to eat. Your DD is an adult so I would not always worry about her food, she can figure it out once in a while. My DD does not eat red meat and there were time I just wanted to strangle the chicken! I did cook beef and just made sure there was food that she could eat included in our meal.

Your situation is different because your DH gets nauseous so you have that consideration as well. I would get some already cooked meats that I liked and heat them up. Costco has pot roast etc in their cases that are really good. Our local grocery store also has some entrees that are precooked. Rotisserie chicken, meat loaf, rotisserie pork. It is a little more money but you are worth it. There is a compromise but you get some meals that you crave and the odor is not as pronounced.

I think it is a good idea for you to have an occasional meal out as well. Not for the food but for the respite. There is something very healing about having dinner out with a friend. No cooking, no cleaning up and a whole different conversation than teh one you would be having at home.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #27
PatsGirl
Kids will write the darndest things
I'm a fan of the Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yankees
I can't believe my parents lived through my shenanigans

While I would certainly go out of my way to accommodate someone feeling sick, not so sure I'd be doing separate meals for those who choose to eat vegetarian. Sounds like a few of you are making different meals for different family members I always thought this was odd when done for picky toddlers so to do it for teens and older is perplexing...what ever happened to "you can eat what I make or make something for yourself"? I've always done a salad, protein, two veggies and bread/butter and everyone manages to get their fill.

To OP, sorry that you are feeling out of sorts I'm always amazed at how upbeat most of your posts are although it is obvious you have alot on your hands...this too shall pass but for the moment, I think you should do something special for yourself! Maybe its as simple as going out to your favorite restaurant but maybe its even more...whatever it is, do it if you can
Last night my sister and I were sitting in the den and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle to keep me alive. That would be no quality of life at all. If that ever happens, just pull the plug!" So she got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

Brenda , Ed :Jacob 24 Alexandra 17 and two steps ~ Shawn 25 Nichole 24

SO turned husband March 2013

Next up ~ Halloween Horror Nights 2013 at Universal

F&W/FD for September 2012 with DD and SO who's a Disney virgin...this could be a dealbreaker

Celebrated my 50th with DD at Disneyland April 2011
PatsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #28
Agri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
Thank you for that. I think you hit the nail on the head. I really do understand that DH can't help it. The only thing I can compare it to is when I had terrible morning sickness and I could hardly eat--I lost 10-20lbs with each pregnancy.
I'm going to see of DH might like to get a tasty slice of pizza for lunch. I figure one slice would be less overwhelming than having a while pizza on the table. For suppr I'm going to make beef tips, baked potatoes, brussel sprouts and broccoli. We will see how that goes.
Good luck! Pizza was another of my mom's favorites - to the point that *I* get sick when I see/smell a pepperoni pizza.

I forgot to mention - try to figure out why some foods are gross to him. Sometimes it might not just be the smell but consistency, or seasoning, etc. Or why the foods he likes to eat now work best. For instance, if the hotdog 'works' because it's plain, maybe plain grilled chicken will work as well. It's really a lot of trial and error. When I went through it with mom, I'd try to cook things that could be 'fixed' if they didn't work so I wasn't stuck with a bunch of something neither of us liked.
Agri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

Oh Minky! I'm sure it's frustrating but you are such a strong lady and are doing a wonderful job with your family. This is just one more bump in the road to figure out, but if anyone can make it work, you can!

I usually cook for myself since DH and my boys are running every which way. DS17 has Asperger's and the accompanying food issues. DH works late a lot or rehearses with his chorus after work. DS14 has theater rehearsals or voice lessons three times a week in the evenings. He likes to eat after school and then have something light after rehearsal. I am the big veggie eater in the family, so if I want some I have to cook them for myself. I usually end up cooking and eating when I want to. DH can eat when he gets home, unless he's already grabbed something between work and chorus rehearsal. Plus his office has a catered happy hour once a week so he usually eats there. It's not the situation I envisioned when I got married and had kids. I had big plans to cook every night and have dinner as a family. It hasn't quite worked out that way, but we make it work. Above all, I don't sacrifice having a good, healthy meal for myself.

Hang in there Minky! Maybe make your DH a grilled cheese and order some take-out for yourself once in a while.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #30
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

I start chemo on Wednesday. I stocked up on a bunch of tv dinners for my daughter. I know it will be hard on her, but she will have the option of going out, eating a tv dinner or fixing something for herself.

Believe me, I'd much rather be fixing nice dinners for both of us than doing chemo, but that is not an option.

Hang in there, OP and understand that your husband does appreciate your efforts and would much rather be eating your meals if it were possible.
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: