Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #16
puertorican00676
Earning My Ears

It's not really an issue of deserving or not, its just that it was nice while it lasted. Discounts are given to attracts a target market (specific group of people) to a business. Its not a right or something deserved by anyone.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
LadyLuck24
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzznina
Doing away with that perk is okay, I also do not thing flight attendants should get special discounts. But Disney has been starting to show their greedy side lately. With cutting back on EMH, lowering the Premium AP discount from 20% to 10%, cutting the monorail hours, and the big one, eliminating the childs AP and charging adult prices for 3-10 year olds It is our favorite place to vacation at, but they are $50 and $100 us right out of the park.
My thoughts on all these "disappearing" perks is that they are Disney's way of dealing with the bad economy. They're continuing to offer room discounts and free dining to fill up the parks during non-peak times, which helps all of us who have been affected by the bad economy to still get to DW. But in this economy, something has to give, even if you're a corporate giant like Disney. I don't think it's greed--in fact, I think it's the opposite of greed. It's making smart business decisions now by cutting small corners that affect only a small portions of their visitors---which will help ensure their survival as a company for many more years, for the benefit of everyone. Who knows, maybe some perks will return when (if) the economy bounces back.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
ditsypixie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertorican00676 View Post
It's not really an issue of deserving or not, its just that it was nice while it lasted. Discounts are given to attracts a target market (specific group of people) to a business. Its not a right or something deserved by anyone.
I agree with you. As the spouse of an airline employee, we never looked at the discount like it was deserved or we were entitled to it. It was just a nice perk that was offered to the employees. I wish we had known. We would have booked our trip before it ended
Old 02-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #19
padawans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLuck24 View Post
My thoughts on all these "disappearing" perks is that they are Disney's way of dealing with the bad economy. They're continuing to offer room discounts and free dining to fill up the parks during non-peak times, which helps all of us who have been affected by the bad economy to still get to DW. But in this economy, something has to give, even if you're a corporate giant like Disney. I don't think it's greed--in fact, I think it's the opposite of greed. It's making smart business decisions now by cutting small corners that affect only a small portions of their visitors---which will help ensure their survival as a company for many more years, for the benefit of everyone. Who knows, maybe some perks will return when (if) the economy bounces back.
This could be. Disney had a special office that took care of airline employees. I really think they wanted to cut expenses by getting rid of this office. At least that is the impression I got from the cm. Too bad for them they had nice 9-5 hours. I actually cancelled my interline reservations and I am using the bb offers. I prefer the room only reservations vs the package rules the interline rates were under.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #20
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Back when I was in college, my girlfriend (now wife) and I worked for an airline. It was lousy work with long hours and low pay, but we flew for free or cheap and got discounts on hotels, car rentals and FedEx. Those perqs made the job worth it.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #21
Lita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf777 View Post
It's a perk..just like the people at GM and Ford get on new cars and the people that work at stores get a discount
Correct. They are getting a perk at their places of employment. No reason for them to get Disney discounts. They already get deep discounts on airfare.

DL - numerous times as I grew up in CA
WDW - CBR 97, Poly May 2013
DCL - Dream April 2014
DCL - Fantasy August Eastern Caribbean 2015

Me 40 DH 48, DD7, DD5
Old 02-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
padawans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita View Post
Correct. They are getting a perk at their places of employment. No reason for them to get Disney discounts. They already get deep discounts on airfare.
I think that is for cruiselines and hotels to decide if they want to discount there room and cruises to. I got 60% off my Dcl cruise last year because Disney could not fill the ship at full fare. I'm have never been able to understand why people on this board were always so annoyed with airline employees getting a discount. I am always happy for other people. I am guessing maybe there is some deep seated hatred of airlines and there employees. I'm not sure. Maybe you can explain.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #23
Lita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by padawans

I think that is for cruiselines and hotels to decide if they want to discount there room and cruises to. I got 60% off my Dcl cruise last year because Disney could not fill the ship at full fare. I'm have never been able to understand why people on this board were always so annoyed with airline employees getting a discount. I am always happy for other people. I am guessing maybe there is some deep seated hatred of airlines and there employees. I'm not sure. Maybe you can explain.
Nothing to explain and no hatred or jealousy from me. I have no animosity towards airlines or their employees. Just pointing out to the person that I was responding to that their argument was not identical to this situation. No more discussion from me on this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

DL - numerous times as I grew up in CA
WDW - CBR 97, Poly May 2013
DCL - Dream April 2014
DCL - Fantasy August Eastern Caribbean 2015

Me 40 DH 48, DD7, DD5
Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #24
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf777 View Post
It's a perk..just like the people at GM and Ford get on new cars and the people that work at stores get a discount

But you don't work for Disney?

AKK
Old 02-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #25
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita

Sometimes, these discounts are given as part of a reciprocal agreement. FedEx is the perfect example. FedEx crewmembers were able to deadhead and nonrev on the airlines, so airline employees were able to ship stuff in the cheap.

The bottom line is that these discounts were negotiated between the companies for the benefit of the employees. From an employee standpoint, getting these discounts or not is frequently the thing that makes a crummy job worth it.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #26
padawans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita View Post
Nothing to explain and no hatred or jealousy from me. I have no animosity towards airlines or their employees. Just pointing out to the person that I was responding to that their argument was not identical to this situation. No more discussion from me on this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I think airline empolyees are disappointed there discount has been discontinued. The person that started this thread wanted to vent. Instead of getting any kind of empathy they have been told they never deserved it. Some posters even seemed happy about it. I don't think it has ever been a question of deserving anything. Military and Florida residents don't "deserve it" either, and I hope Disney dose not discontinue their discount. I would never take pleasure out of someone elses misfortune. That's all I have to say on this matter too.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #27
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

My guess is that Disney saw that this discount was not positively impacting them enough to keep it. Companies do not give discounts to be nice. It is a business strategy that can assist them in making money in the long run. Most likely, they were not getting enough of a benefit (either through booking numbers or returning visitors) to keep the discount (and the costs associated with it).

But then again I have learned on these boards that some people don't like it when a decision is made by a business that might profit the business. Disney making money seems to be a "bad" thing...

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #28
dadddio
DIS Veteran

It may or may not have been a 'bottom line' decision. Remember, many (most?) of these discounts are some sort of reciprocal agreement. It may be that the discount agreement was terminated by whatever travel association negotiated it with Disney, not by Disney itself. Alternatively, it may have simply expired and is being renegotiated.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #29
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
My guess is that Disney saw that this discount was not positively impacting them enough to keep it. Companies do not give discounts to be nice. It is a business strategy that can assist them in making money in the long run. Most likely, they were not getting enough of a benefit (either through booking numbers or returning visitors) to keep the discount (and the costs associated with it).

But then again I have learned on these boards that some people don't like it when a decision is made by a business that might profit the business. Disney making money seems to be a "bad" thing...
I think you are spot on!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #30
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

The only people that makes sense to me to get a perk from Disney or any other travel destination are the people the directly book people into their parks, cruise ships, resorts, etc. And NO I am not in the industry.

It makes no sense to me that a flight attendant, pilot, ticketing/check-in person, etc should get one.

The only people outside of the travel agent business to get a perk to me; are persons and family in the Military, Emergency/Fire, Police. And I'm sure I'll get flamed by some for these exceptions; but I'm ok with that.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: