Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #196
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis

If that is true, then I see it from a different point of view - that there must be incredible margins when Disney can offer the same vacation package to somebody else at almost 50% less; regardless of where they are traveling from to take advantage of it.
Likely no. Granted the DISBoard people are not a representative sample. However based on what I've learned from them here is what I can theorize:

1) UK people likely will not be bringing food with them. For a two week stay and luggage costs, they will buy every bit of food they consume in Florida.

2) Because they are staying 2-3 weeks the odds that they will need medication, laundry services or even socks rises.

So yes, Disney likely does decrease the cost of the vacation to offset the airfare. However it is not because their margins are so high that they can afford it but because they expect to make up those profits in another manner (food, clothing, merchandise).

It is the same reason that a two day ticket is almost $90 per day yet a 10 day ticket is only about $30 a day. It isn't that their margins are so great but that because statically speaking the longer they have you in the park, the more you will spend.

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #197
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis View Post
I agree that airfare from the UK can be expensive. But you are suggesting that Disney subsidizes the total cost of a WDW vacation for someone from the UK by heavily discounting resort/tickets/meals packages because they already pay a large amount for something else (airfare) that provides no revenue to Disney.

If that is true, then I see it from a different point of view - that there must be incredible margins when Disney can offer the same vacation package to somebody else at almost 50% less; regardless of where they are traveling from to take advantage of it.
Does the international site list prices in euros or dollars? If dollars then it's an even better deal because the euro is stronger than the dollar. If euros then the discount isn't as big as it seems. I believe right now that 1 euro is equal to 1.33 dollars. Again, if it is in dollars that's a good deal because, assuming I'm doing my math right, $1,000 euros would give you $1,333 dollars.

Also, in my experience from conversations with folks I run into in my travels, many Europeans will do 2-3 weeks in the Florida area, not all at Disney. For example, I was on a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean and one family I met was doing the 7 day cruise then a week at Disney. That's probably not true of all families of course but my point is that Disney can't bank on giving discounts hoping that all vacation dollars end up in their pockets.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #198
Laketravis
FP is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way.. which one's Pink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22 View Post
Does the international site list prices in euros or dollars? If dollars then it's an even better deal because the euro is stronger than the dollar. If euros then the discount isn't as big as it seems. I believe right now that 1 euro is equal to 1.33 dollars. Again, if it is in dollars that's a good deal because, assuming I'm doing my math right, $1,000 euros would give you $1,333 dollars.

Also, in my experience from conversations with folks I run into in my travels, many Europeans will do 2-3 weeks in the Florida area, not all at Disney. For example, I was on a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean and one family I met was doing the 7 day cruise then a week at Disney. That's probably not true of all families of course but my point is that Disney can't bank on giving discounts hoping that all vacation dollars end up in their pockets.
The international website presents pricing in pounds. I did the conversion for everyone:

"A stay at CSR from 11/29-12/8 with 7 day park hoppers and CS dining.

On the international web site the total was: $2,342 (in US dollars at current UK exchange rates)

On the domestic US web site the total was: $4,069 in US dollars"

That includes dining, so while I could only hope to be able to spend 2-3 weeks at WDW, I don't see how Disney could make up the more than $1700 difference in profit over the course of each week from souvenirs, t-shirts, medication, chap stick, etc.....
Laketravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #199
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis View Post
The international website presents pricing in pounds. I did the conversion for everyone:

"A stay at CSR from 11/29-12/8 with 7 day park hoppers and CS dining.

On the international web site the total was: $2,342 (in US dollars at current UK exchange rates)

On the domestic US web site the total was: $4,069 in US dollars"

That includes dining, so while I could only hope to be able to spend 2-3 weeks at WDW, I don't see how Disney could make up the more than $1700 difference in profit over the course of each week from souvenirs, t-shirts, medication, chap stick, etc.....
Oh - sorry I missed that you already did the exchange! That's a big difference in price then...I agree that Disney wouldn't care about making up the cost of airfare for a family or that a family of 4 from Europe will spend more on items than a family of 4 from Wisconsin, given your price comparison that includes a CS meal plan for both and that you are assuming a 7 day trip for both.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #200
Laketravis
FP is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way.. which one's Pink?

I should probably add that I priced both out based on two adults and one child.
Laketravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #201
Shaden
DIS Veteran

I don't think there is really any question here, disney COULD offer the vacation packages cheaper to those in the US/Canada, but they don't. Not sure what the strat behind offering the Euro packages is, I would also venture that a lot of EU visitors end up getting APs since they are probably cheaper over a longer duration of stay.

Even we Canadians sometimes get deals that the US residents don't. So too Florida residents get discounts.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #202
jgperkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYGAMMIE View Post
Did you have to book a certain type of room to qualify for the free dining?
No.. we booked a standard view at POFQ... I think the only value not available was AOA... everything else was available..
Aug. 09, Off site: We got engaged! Swan: July '07,DD First trip! Riverside: April '08, Wilderness Lodge: May'09, Corn. Spring: Aug. '09, Polynesian: April '10, ASMovies & Carribean Beach: Aug.'10, Riverside: Feb. '11, Pop Century: April '11, Wilderness Lodge & Cruise on the DREAM & Kidani Village, Aug. '11 for 10 year anniversary, Pop Century, Sept. '11, Aug. '12 Family Trip: Carribean Beach, Mar./Apr. '13 Cruise on the Fantasy & AOA, Aug '13, French Qrt., Dec. '13 1st Xmas Trip Wilderness Lodge August 2014 Back to Wilderness Lodge!
jgperkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #203
DISNEYGAMMIE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgperkin View Post
No.. we booked a standard view at POFQ... I think the only value not available was AOA... everything else was available..
Thank you, we are only staying one night at AOA since I found out that there are no promos at all for AOA even if any come up for August.
I am going to book 3 more nights at POR in a RR room, I guess when and if the promos come out I'll know then if I have to change to a different category to qualify or what the minimum stay will be.

Thank you again for all your help
Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #204
amos07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
I don't think there is really any question here, disney COULD offer the vacation packages cheaper to those in the US/Canada, but they don't. Not sure what the strat behind offering the Euro packages is, I would also venture that a lot of EU visitors end up getting APs since they are probably cheaper over a longer duration of stay.

Even we Canadians sometimes get deals that the US residents don't. So too Florida residents get discounts.
My take on the whole thing is that since airfare is high enough there has to be some kind of drawl to get them to go to Disney. Disney itself is quite an expensive vacation and I think they fear that if they don't offer some kind of incentive that Europeans may just decide to vacation somewhere else. So even if they aren't making up the difference in the discount they are still getting their business over somewhere else.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #205
rainynight
Mouseketeer

I have no problem with Disney cutting back on discounts. In fact I've always said I would much rather pay double the price for a Disney vacation and have the place less crowded than to save money and have to deal with shoulder to shoulder crowds. My issue is why they offer better deals to people overseas rather than us American's. Offer the steep discounts to American's first, then if the rooms don't get filled start offering elsewhere. It seems pretty insulting to expect north Americans to pay more than others. I get that it's an incentive to get people to travel and yada yada, but money is money so why not focus on American families first and the money we are willing to spend at Disney?
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #206
amos07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainynight View Post
I have no problem with Disney cutting back on discounts. In fact I've always said I would much rather pay double the price for a Disney vacation and have the place less crowded than to save money and have to deal with shoulder to shoulder crowds. My issue is why they offer better deals to people overseas rather than us American's. Offer the steep discounts to American's first, then if the rooms don't get filled start offering elsewhere. It seems pretty insulting to expect north Americans to pay more than others. I get that it's an incentive to get people to travel and yada yada, but money is money so why not focus on American families first and the money we are willing to spend at Disney?
I wish they would think about us too because some families really need discounts to be able to enjoy something like Disney. The difference is we aren't as likely to spend 2-3 weeks at Disney whereas Europeans are, so Disney has more incentive to give them larger discounts. I know I would certainly spend more time at Disney with a larger discount but definitely couldn't swing 2-3 weeks because of days off with work.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #207
suedaisy
Mouseketeer

Just couldn't take the "what if"s anymore!

I feel like a crazy person. After cancelling a Spring Break trip due to lack of discounts available (and now we have a family health issue, so it worked out for us), we decided to plan a trip for October. The plan is that we could go for two weeks for the price of our one week. (My nephew has off two weeks in October, so why not live it up and enjoy a longer trip?) I was hoping for the regular free dining and a room at French Quarter. I started calculating/recalculating/re-re-recalculating... you get the picture. What if no discount. What if CS only. What if...

Finally, I just stopped. I went ahead and did a points rental. I have used points many times and it has worked well for me and my family. I know and accept the risks and the commitment. I prefer two beds and mousekeeping everyday and being able to book directly with Disney, but we will be at some pretty incredible Deluxes for a reasonable price. We will add the dining plan on to one of the reservations (we are resort hopping) and go to our favorite places. I have enjoyed this time with guys on this thread- other Disney crazies- you know who you are.... I SOOOO appreciate the hints from Danny as in the end this is a "better" deal for my family. Also, the early notice allowed us to still get studios at an Epcot resort during Food and Wine. Had we waited, we know that this would be unlikely. THANK YOU
suedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #208
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amos07 View Post
My take on the whole thing is that since airfare is high enough there has to be some kind of drawl to get them to go to Disney. Disney itself is quite an expensive vacation and I think they fear that if they don't offer some kind of incentive that Europeans may just decide to vacation somewhere else. So even if they aren't making up the difference in the discount they are still getting their business over somewhere else.
That still doesn't add up to me because I don't think all European families who come to Disney spend their whole vacation at the World but explore other parts of Florida and the Caribbean as well...IMO. Also, for the $4,000 Laketravis gave as an example for a 7 day vacation for a family of 2 adults and 1 child, they would have tons of other options for places to spend their money as well so the competition still exists to draw American families from other vacation spots.

I guess in the end it's all hypothesizing and we won't know unless a Disney rep comes on here and tells us their logic. Whatever they are doing is working. I've posted on other threads a news article where Disney stated it make record profits last year. And I always travel at 'low' season and feel like crowds are always getting bigger so that there's really no 'low' season really.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #209
Karebear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainynight View Post
My thoughts exactly. We live in the northern part of CA. We are not eligible for the discounted So Cal AP to Disneyland (it is much cheaper than the regular AP). I was "like fair enough, we don't live in So Cal". Then, I found out the people who live in Northern Mexico were eligible to buy the discounted AP. That really make me mad. How about offering it to the whole state of CA first before going to Mexico! OK, rant over

Karebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #210
Nutbean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedaisy View Post
I feel like a crazy person. After cancelling a Spring Break trip due to lack of discounts available (and now we have a family health issue, so it worked out for us), we decided to plan a trip for October. The plan is that we could go for two weeks for the price of our one week. (My nephew has off two weeks in October, so why not live it up and enjoy a longer trip?) I was hoping for the regular free dining and a room at French Quarter. I started calculating/recalculating/re-re-recalculating... you get the picture. What if no discount. What if CS only. What if...

Finally, I just stopped. I went ahead and did a points rental. I have used points many times and it has worked well for me and my family. I know and accept the risks and the commitment. I prefer two beds and mousekeeping everyday and being able to book directly with Disney, but we will be at some pretty incredible Deluxes for a reasonable price. We will add the dining plan on to one of the reservations (we are resort hopping) and go to our favorite places. I have enjoyed this time with guys on this thread- other Disney crazies- you know who you are.... I SOOOO appreciate the hints from Danny as in the end this is a "better" deal for my family. Also, the early notice allowed us to still get studios at an Epcot resort during Food and Wine. Had we waited, we know that this would be unlikely. THANK YOU
You went through exactly what I'm going through. I'm looking to go the first week in December and I will need to make my mind up soon if I'm going to risk it and hope for free dining or some other kind of discount or rent points for DVC. Apparently December is a really popular time for DVC too so I may be SOL for that already.
Nutbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: