Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #1051
princesspumpkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
Unfortunately, DD has no idea what she wants to go to school for. Maybe Arts/Photography, maybe Marine Biology. She will be taking the SAT for the second time in March, but her last test score was (1030 - M/CR; 1590 M/CR/W) so unless she has some huge epiphany (and her PSAT she took this year isn't showing that), we won't be looking at any top schools anywhere. We're really sticking to NJ schools, but someone on another board mentioned Coastal Carolina and West Chester in PA.

I attended West Chester and absolutely loved it! It definitely is an affordable in state school for students who are still exploring their passions. (It's also great for those that have a definite career path). Lots of school spirit, great diversity and good academics.

DD is also contemplating Coastal Carolina for it's theatre department. I have yet to visit though.

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain
the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
princesspumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #1052
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Several of my DD's friends attend/attended Coastal Carolina. I think they all really like it. Hey, what's not to like? It's pretty close to Myrtle Beach.

I will say that most of the kids that went there did so because they were unable to get into a Virginia public university due to "just average" GPA. Apparently, Coastal Carolina (and coming from out of state) is a little more welcoming. I contemplated it for my DD but couldn't really afford the out of state tuition.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95

Last edited by Christine; 02-10-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #1053
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspumpkin View Post
I attended West Chester and absolutely loved it! It definitely is an affordable in state school for students who are still exploring their passions. (It's also great for those that have a definite career path). Lots of school spirit, great diversity and good academics.

DD is also contemplating Coastal Carolina for it's theatre department. I have yet to visit though.
The Dis'er I mentioned above on the Class of 2013 thread has a hs senior who's accepted to Coastal Carolina. The dd is pursuing theatre. I think the Dis'er's name is something like Ugamom.
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #1054
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

It's ugadog99 and I've sent her a PM. Still waiting for a response, but I'll be happy to ask her to come by to share her views.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #1055
PrincessKsMom

I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspumpkin View Post

Thanks for letting me know about West Chester. It's so hard for me to draw conclusions based off of what I read on the internet sometimes. It's always nice to have a first hand report.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #1056
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Unfortunately, DD has no idea what she wants to go to school for. Maybe Arts/Photography, maybe Marine Biology. She will be taking the SAT for the second time in March, but her last test score was (1030 - M/CR; 1590 M/CR/W) so unless she has some huge epiphany (and her PSAT she took this year isn't showing that), we won't be looking at any top schools anywhere. We're really sticking to NJ schools, but someone on another board mentioned Coastal Carolina and West Chester in PA.
We are in NJ as well. We looked at all NJ state schools as well as west Chester, kutztown, York, millersville, east stroudsburg, and one other that I can't recall. He applied to 7 schools and got accepted at 6. He chose ramapo but after 1.5 semesters and many issues he is home going to community college. Not sure where he will go next but he is at Rowan for the weekend visiting friends and said he likes it much better than ramapo. My DS just turned 20 and was a 2011 graduate of HS
I will add that his friend commutes to TCNJ and loves it. My DS has been on that campus and loved it. Again he felt he liked it better than ramapo. So much pressure to choose the right school and you hope you do but he knows so many that transfer for one reason or another. One of his friends from ramapo transferred to Rowan this semester.
maxaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #1057
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxaroni View Post
We are in NJ as well. We looked at all NJ state schools as well as west Chester, kutztown, York, millersville, east stroudsburg, and one other that I can't recall. He applied to 7 schools and got accepted at 6. He chose ramapo but after 1.5 semesters and many issues he is home going to community college. Not sure where he will go next but he is at Rowan for the weekend visiting friends and said he likes it much better than ramapo. My DS just turned 20 and was a 2011 graduate of HS
I will add that his friend commutes to TCNJ and loves it. My DS has been on that campus and loved it. Again he felt he liked it better than ramapo. So much pressure to choose the right school and you hope you do but he knows so many that transfer for one reason or another. One of his friends from ramapo transferred to Rowan this semester.
Just curious as to what he doesn't like at Ramapo? My dd is there now (as a freshamn) and loves it. I can't get this kid to come home.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #1058
PrincessKsMom

Quote:
Thanks! Our starting point/top picks at the moment are: TCNJ (reach), Rowan, Monmouth, Richard Stockton and for out of state: Coastal Carolina, West Chester and Towson. I do not mean this in any derogatory sense, but from what I've read on the internet () it seems these three are thought of in the same tone, i.e, party schools, not the hardest curriculum, sort of slacker schools. HOWEVER, this is coming from places like College Confidential where all anyone is concerned with is Ivy league. As long as my daughter is happy and learns, I'm okay with it. Not every school is for every person and as long as it's safe and helps her to grow as a person and educates her, that's all I want. And considering I've had to push her because she's not a self-motivator, maybe a less stressful environment is where she belongs. Please don't anyone be offended by my comments. I'm simply repeating what I've seen elsewhere and I'm still looking forward to checking into those schools. One of the other things I read on RateMyProfessor.com is that NJ students are not looked highly upon my Coastal Carolina students. But again, that would not stop me from having DD look into it. She is her own person and will do fine where ever she is.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #1059
krcit
DIS Veteran

I know a family that their oldest dd attends Coastal and their younger dd will be attending in Sept. I don't know anything about it beyond that but they must be happy with it if another child is attending, lol.

My dd has narrowed it down to Iona, LeMoyne, Siena and Binghamton. Binghmaton is very highly rated and actually pretty difficult to get into so I am leaning towards that one. It is a state school so the best bang for the buck. LeMoyne offered her a whole bunch of money so it would be actually cheaper than the state school. Waiting to see if she gets into Iona's Honors College which would cut the tuition down a lot. I like it because it's close enough that she could come home often..she's my first one to leave home so I'm having a hard time, lol. Anyone have any knowledge of these schools? Any insight? Thanks!

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #1060
PrincessKsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcit View Post
I know a family that their oldest dd attends Coastal and their younger dd will be attending in Sept. I don't know anything about it beyond that but they must be happy with it if another child is attending, lol.

My dd has narrowed it down to Iona, LeMoyne, Siena and Binghamton. Binghmaton is very highly rated and actually pretty difficult to get into so I am leaning towards that one. It is a state school so the best bang for the buck. LeMoyne offered her a whole bunch of money so it would be actually cheaper than the state school. Waiting to see if she gets into Iona's Honors College which would cut the tuition down a lot. I like it because it's close enough that she could come home often..she's my first one to leave home so I'm having a hard time, lol. Anyone have any knowledge of these schools? Any insight? Thanks!
A friend's daughter is graduating from Iona this year and absolutely LOVES it! Good luck where ever you DD decides to go.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #1061
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
Just curious as to what he doesn't like at Ramapo? My dd is there now (as a freshamn) and loves it. I can't get this kid to come home.
Not a good fit for him. He had been hoping to be a walk on baseball player and told try outs were November (prior to school starting) He gets there and found out try outs were first full week of school. He didn't have time to get physical. Not that that was a big deal in the scheme of things but it was disappointing. He was in mackin in a triple. His roommates were drinkers, partiers and into drugs that made his life miserable. It was a suitcase school and not enough activities. He found many to stay in their rooms and drink the weekend away or hang out at pot rock We are in a more affluent town in south jersey but found most students tended to have endless funds and he couldn't keep up. Academics were fine and he did well. The activities fair was during his classes. He did do some community service things. He finally found a group of guys to hang with but he didn't like the whole feel of the school

We went to family day and in one of the seminars with Patrick Chang and micki camoratta a father asked if his daughters roommates were drinking and got caught his daughter would be in trouble too if in the room and could lose her full scholarship. The answer by Patrick Chang was to make wise choices. My DS is not a drinker and he wound up sleeping in the lounge as his roommates were always drinking. He finally switched rooms but he was just so miserable there. There is more to this but that is part of it.

DH and I are originally from Bergen county....Ridgewood and Paramus and thought the campus was gorgeous and could see DS there.

He is at Rowan this weekend and said there were more down to earth people,more things to do, more choices for food with better hours. His friend he is visiting transferred this semester to Rowan (he is from Bergen county) and loves Rowan so much more. Not every college is for everyone. My DS was accepted at Rowan but opted not to as we are 45 minutes away and many of his classmates were going there. He wanted a change.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #1062
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks! Our starting point/top picks at the moment are: TCNJ (reach), Rowan, Monmouth, Richard Stockton and for out of state: Coastal Carolina, West Chester and Towson. I do not mean this in any derogatory sense, but from what I've read on the internet () it seems these three are thought of in the same tone, i.e, party schools, not the hardest curriculum, sort of slacker schools. HOWEVER, this is coming from places like College Confidential where all anyone is concerned with is Ivy league. As long as my daughter is happy and learns, I'm okay with it. Not every school is for every person and as long as it's safe and helps her to grow as a person and educates her, that's all I want. And considering I've had to push her because she's not a self-motivator, maybe a less stressful environment is where she belongs. Please don't anyone be offended by my comments. I'm simply repeating what I've seen elsewhere and I'm still looking forward to checking into those schools. One of the other things I read on RateMyProfessor.com is that NJ students are not looked highly upon my Coastal Carolina students. But again, that would not stop me from having DD look into it. She is her own person and will do fine where ever she is.
Rowan is highly rated for engineering and now hooked up the cooper hospital for nursing. We know many that go to Rowan, stockton and TCNJ. I asked a friend when we were choosing about Stockton being known as a party school and her daughter has had no problems. We heard the same about west Chester but now that some of DS classmates go there he said he'd have had no problem going there his one friiend loves it and wants him to transfer there. It is a hard decision My DS wanted to be within a 2 hour radius of getting home. His
grandmother is very ill and wanted to get home easily. Also, Rowan being known for engineering seems to pull kids from a distance and more stay on campus on weekends

I wouldn't hesitate at any of the schools on your list.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #1063
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
it seems these three are thought of in the same tone, i.e, party schools, not the hardest curriculum, sort of slacker schools. HOWEVER, this is coming from places like College Confidential where all anyone is concerned with is Ivy league. As long as my daughter is happy and learns, I'm okay with it. Not every school is for every person and as long as it's safe and helps her to grow as a person and educates her, that's all I want. And considering I've had to push her because she's not a self-motivator, maybe a less stressful environment is where she belongs. Please don't anyone be offended by my comments. I'm simply repeating what I've seen elsewhere and I'm still looking forward to checking into those schools. One of the other things I read on RateMyProfessor.com is that NJ students are not looked highly upon my Coastal Carolina students.
As I said upthread, we know many who have gone to Coastal Carolina and since I'm from the DC/MD/VA area, also know many that go to Towson. Neither of these schools are considered "party schools" although, let's face it, I believe there is a TON of partying going on at most colleges so I don't know why some get a reputation over others. My DD attends *the* premier party school, which is West Virginia University. The parties can be easily avoided.

That said, any school that has lower admittance standards is going to attract a less serious student. For schools that take kids in the GPA range of 3.8 and above, you've just got a different mindset there. However, you can definitely be a serious student and get a good education in these "middle tier" schools.

As for New Jersey students--well, they seem to be an issue everywhere! My DD says there are a LOT of NJ students at WVU and they don't seem to try to blend in with the rest of the school. Some of the NJ students come from a lot of money. Currently, my DD lives in a house that is "downhill" from some NJ students. She pays $425 per month for rent and they pay $700 per month. They stand on their porch and throw their beer bottles down the hill into my DD's backyard. They had a pretty big altercation with them last semester because my DD and her housemates asked them to stop doing that and they copped an attitude about it. One guy came down and started getting in my DD's roommate's face (she is from Pittsburgh) and she ended up throwing HIM to ground and scaring him. I think they stopped finally. But, the word is that they stay sort of cliquish and don't behave themselves. That said, my DD dated a NJ boy her first year there and he was as nice as could be.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #1064
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not a good fit for him. He had been hoping to be a walk on baseball player and told try outs were November (prior to school starting) He gets there and found out try outs were first full week of school. He didn't have time to get physical. Not that that was a big deal in the scheme of things but it was disappointing. He was in mackin in a triple. His roommates were drinkers, partiers and into drugs that made his life miserable. It was a suitcase school and not enough activities. He found many to stay in their rooms and drink the weekend away or hang out at pot rock We are in a more affluent town in south jersey but found most students tended to have endless funds and he couldn't keep up. Academics were fine and he did well. The activities fair was during his classes. He did do some community service things. He finally found a group of guys to hang with but he didn't like the whole feel of the school

We went to family day and in one of the seminars with Patrick Chang and micki camoratta a father asked if his daughters roommates were drinking and got caught his daughter would be in trouble too if in the room and could lose her full scholarship. The answer by Patrick Chang was to make wise choices. My DS is not a drinker and he wound up sleeping in the lounge as his roommates were always drinking. He finally switched rooms but he was just so miserable there. There is more to this but that is part of it.

DH and I are originally from Bergen county....Ridgewood and Paramus and thought the campus was gorgeous and could see DS there.

He is at Rowan this weekend and said there were more down to earth people,more things to do, more choices for food with better hours. His friend he is visiting transferred this semester to Rowan (he is from Bergen county) and loves Rowan so much more. Not every college is for everyone. My DS was accepted at Rowan but opted not to as we are 45 minutes away and many of his classmates were going there. He wanted a change.
I understand the disappointment of not getting on the team if that is what he wanted. My dd had to try out for the dance team last May. I know she would have been upset if she didn't make it.
she is in a suite (6 girls) in Pine and one roommate left right before winter break due to using.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #1065
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
As I said upthread, we know many who have gone to Coastal Carolina and since I'm from the DC/MD/VA area, also know many that go to Towson. Neither of these schools are considered "party schools" although, let's face it, I believe there is a TON of partying going on at most colleges so I don't know why some get a reputation over others. My DD attends *the* premier party school, which is West Virginia University. The parties can be easily avoided.

That said, any school that has lower admittance standards is going to attract a less serious student. For schools that take kids in the GPA range of 3.8 and above, you've just got a different mindset there. However, you can definitely be a serious student and get a good education in these "middle tier" schools.

As for New Jersey students--well, they seem to be an issue everywhere! My DD says there are a LOT of NJ students at WVU and they don't seem to try to blend in with the rest of the school. Some of the NJ students come from a lot of money. Currently, my DD lives in a house that is "downhill" from some NJ students. She pays $425 per month for rent and they pay $700 per month. They stand on their porch and throw their beer bottles down the hill into my DD's backyard. They had a pretty big altercation with them last semester because my DD and her housemates asked them to stop doing that and they copped an attitude about it. One guy came down and started getting in my DD's roommate's face (she is from Pittsburgh) and she ended up throwing HIM to ground and scaring him. I think they stopped finally. But, the word is that they stay sort of cliquish and don't behave themselves. That said, my DD dated a NJ boy her first year there and he was as nice as could be.
As far as party schools, I agree, not sure why some get the reputation. IMO, drinking is everywhere. My DS on move in day at ramapo said his roommate brought in vodka in all of his Poland spring bottles. They had a big rock behind his dorm nicknamed "pot rock".

We are from NJ, DH and I grew up in north jersey and moved to south jersey 25 years ago. There is a huge difference, it is like 2 different states. Beer bottle throwing....reminiscent of when HS seniors go to the shore for the weekend after prom. My DS refused to go. It's all about drinking. Parents rent homes and some stock them with liquor. One of my sons classmates threw a microwave out the window. Ugh. Not ds's scene at all. Ugh.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: