Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
RapunzelIsMyFav
Earning My Ears

For thos who have stayed at Movies and Port Orleans...

For those who have stayed at Movies and Port Orleans was it worth the upgrade to a moderate? I'd love any opinions. We've been to Movies twice but never Port Orleans. Thanks in advance.
Nov 2011 - Movies
Nov 2012 - Movies
May 2013 - Port Orleans
August 2013 - Music (2 weeks) and 2 weeks offsite
August 2014 - deciding where to stay
RapunzelIsMyFav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
AstroDad
Earning My Ears

Huge upgrade. Port Orleans is a great resort and recently remodeled. You can really tell the difference from the Values to the Moderates IMO.
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Steph01002
Earning My Ears

It was worth it to us. We like some downtime at the resort and enjoyed the pool and the relaxed atmosphere of POR. Food court was much better. Boat ride to DTD was great. If it were just a room to sleep and we were going to be at the parks all day, then the All-stars are fine for that.
Steph01002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
WDW_Diane
Mouseketeer

No competition! Go to PO

Port Orleans is a HUGE upgrade over any All Star Resort. You will be wowed and never want to return to All Star.
WDW_Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
lilmrsellis
Wishing upon a star...

If you are a light sleeper or intent to spend any time at all in the resort, go for the moderate. Values are loud and far less comfortable. For some this is fine, I need more than Disneyfied Motel 6.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
drtoby2
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at All Star Movies at least three times, Sports three times, and Music twice. We have stayed at Port Orleans once. Of course Port Orleans is the best. The resort is beautiful; the room was much bigger. Being able to take a boat is great. The next time we go, we are going back to Music because we do not have the money to go to a moderate, but we LOVED it when we were there.
drtoby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

Yes a huge difference! The POR has beautiful pathways, and my kids love the poos!!

the food court is one of the best on property!!

We really enjoyed our stays at the POR.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

If you do not spend much time in the room or don't like multiple bus stops within a resort or a lot of walking, stay with Movies.

POR food court is IMHO the best on property for variety and value. The build your own pasta will easily feed two hungry adults with a single serving. It is very nice having numerous pools and pools with deep ends. If you want/plan to go to DTD the boat ride is VASTLY superior to bus service to/from ANY resort.

POR is large and it can be a hike, especially since paths are winding, to and from the main building. Being from The South, the theming there is nothing special to me. I spend so little time in the room that a moderate is "lost" on me most of the time, but if I was going to upgrade, it would be to POR!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
mommy2mb
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at both and I would go with POR. Better pools, and beautiful grounds, larger rooms. If budget allows I would upgrade IMO to a moderate.

mommy2mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Fainfamily5
Auroragirl

We just got back a couple of weeks ago.. We stayed at Movies and have stayed at Sports too.. The values are fine but for a few hundred dollars more it is worth the upgrade.. We thought it would be better to save a few hundred in this trip but in the end we wished we had stayed at Por.. It's great and so worth the extra money.

Fainfamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
flc831
Earning My Ears

Wink ASM vs. POR

Riverside hands down the room will be larger, the theming more up-scale, sit-down restaurant also. There 4 bus stops at POR...only one at ASM.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW_Diane View Post
Port Orleans is a HUGE upgrade over any All Star Resort. You will be wowed and never want to return to All Star.
This exactly! We had done Values (ASMo and Pop) and Deluxe (WL) but just returned from POFQ last week. Blown away. Absolutely worth the price upgrade to get to Port Orleans (either one) from a Value.

DCL: Fantasy: December 2014 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
dxander
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at Movies and Music. November 2011 we decided to stay at POFQ! Though we enjoyed Movies and Music, POFQ was well worth it. We stayed during Thanksgiving and the resort did not feel crowded at all. The beds are larger (queen) and the decor is beautiful. My boys loved the pool and the boat ride to DTD. Dh is now spoiled; he says that he doesn't want to go back to a value.
dxander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
bennifer
Mouseketeer

When my older DS was little and money was tight, we stayed at Movies, and it was fine. He LOVED the giant Woody and Buzz, and everything else that was DISNEY. When he was 8 or 9, we started staying at CSR, and I swore I'd never do a value again. Now that he is 18 and not coming this year, but our younger DS will be, I think we may go back to the Movies for him. IDK, now I'm second guessing that again! Lol
Old 02-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

we have done movies, pop, riverside (aka Dixie Landings) and french Quarter...also four or so times at the Dolphin..
WE love movies...and we love French quarter...noise level wouldnt be an issue for us...we liked our first floor at Movies as well as FQ. I love the values...we dont need the slide at the pool and we are going to go in May so we dont really want the hot tub ..but we like the food court at the values much better then FQ...we would of gone to riverside but they dont like the Tables in Wonderland card...soooooo we changed from FQ to Movies and then AP rates came out and we saved 340 dollars going to Music...we only spend time in the room to sleep and change and go swimming...so we are good to go..
It really is a matter of what you want out of your resort. We did like the boat to DTD ...it was fun and we did enjoy it...
so just flip a coin...

Last edited by pumba; 02-10-2013 at 08:14 PM.
pumba is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: