DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #16
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

To everyone that replied helpfully, thank you. To the snarky replies--you are welcome to keep your thinly veiled comments that I'm to stupid or uninformed to make this decision to yourself.

When a major corporation attempts to sell you something and you then discover it can be done 'off the grid' so to speak, it can be confusing. I wanted to make sure I had everything straight. Some of the resources I looked at were vague. As this is a board full of people with first hand experience I wanted to pick the brains and get first hand information.

MomofDisneyLoversx3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDisneyLoversx3 View Post
To everyone that replied helpfully, thank you. To the snarky replies--you are welcome to keep your thinly veiled comments that I'm to stupid or uninformed to make this decision to yourself.

When a major corporation attempts to sell you something and you then discover it can be done 'off the grid' so to speak, it can be confusing. I wanted to make sure I had everything straight. Some of the resources I looked at were vague. As this is a board full of people with first hand experience I wanted to pick the brains and get first hand information.
You really need to do more homework. JimMIA is one of the more informed members who provides lots of great information about DVC.

Ask specific questions and you get specific answers. Ask vague questions and you either get requests for more specifics or suggestions to do more homework and come back with questions.

Oh, and it is very difficult to get AKV Concierge villas at less than 11 months out exactly.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
Discomom703
Earning My Ears

DVC Premium Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Premium Membership

Quote:

I'm glad you found more about resale... its definitely the way to go.. specifically for use only on DVC resorts. We almost bought direct when in 2011 for Aulani, then found resale. We are now happy owners of SSR and BLT contracts - both resale purchase.

I read many posts here.. lots of people have lots of opinions but these veterans are always making sure that newbies like us do think about the true costs. it is a long term commitment.. the buy in cost can be cheap... and/or can be financed for a few years.. but its the maintenance fees that we do get stuck for the life of the contract.

Few things i've learned: 1) Buy where you do not mind staying.. or Buy where you love to stay 2) DVC can place restrictions in the future so just beware -- 3) Understand your Use Year and choose what would make sense with your vacationing habits.. (a definite must READ) 4) Do not buy too many points that you can't handle.. better to keep is small and add on later 5) Dont assume that you can rent your points it to make profit .. but yes you can rent your points to help offset costs (either towards MF, loan financed, or to use for cruises) 6) Buying direct may work for specific small contracts and with specific use year 7) Better to buy smaller contracts or split contracts than large ones in case you need to offload in the future 8) and if you ADD on.. most suggest to have the Same UY so its easier (but not impossible) to manage your points..

I hope you got your information you need.. I've learned A LOT from these veterans... when they ask questions .. they do not mean to be mean or think you do not understand or that you're beneath them.... they just want to DRIVE the right info so that most newbies can buy with the BEST information they have and not waste any money.. Goodluck!
Discomom703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
lodge
DIS Veteran

I think owners of DVC are similar to owners in a neighborhood. We get to know one another and respect the vast amount of knowledge shared.

There seems to be more kindness and respect for those around awhile, as opposed to DCL DIS where there are so many more "renters".... just an observation.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Hopefully Dean will step in with a legal opinion on this, but I tend to agree with these posts. ....(snip).......
I respect and value Dean's opinions, too (although I do occasionally disagree with him, lol). But maybe you meant "expert" or "experienced" instead of "legal"?

We do have lawyers who post here, but Dean is not one of them. (And he has never claimed to be one).

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #21
AllieV
DIS Veteran

I don't know if this helps, but think of DVC resales as buying a house or condo. You can buy one that's being built from the guy who's building it, one that's newly built in a new development where most people have moved in; you can buy the house across town that's 30 years old and was bought cheap by someone's grandparents; you can buy into that new neighborhood from someone who bought the newly built house 9 months ago but just lost his job so he has to downsize to a rental. You can buy a nice 3-br house in the family-friendly neighborhood from the couple that is getting divorced.

Buying a DVC resale is the same process as a house. Talk to some real estate agents to see their inventory. Compare "comps" to see what similar "houses" are selling for, make an offer, a counteroffer, negotiate closing costs, put down a deposit, get a bunch of paperwork notarized, write a check (or do the loan process), wait for the title to be filed with the State in your name, then enjoy!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
I respect and value Dean's opinions, too (although I do occasionally disagree with him, lol). But maybe you meant "expert" or "experienced" instead of "legal"?

We do have lawyers who post here, but Dean is not one of them. (And he has never claimed to be one).
Fair point.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge
I think owners of DVC are similar to owners in a neighborhood. We get to know one another and respect the vast amount of knowledge shared.

There seems to be more kindness and respect for those around awhile, as opposed to DCL DIS where there are so many more "renters".... just an observation.
Well I thought that as neighbors with respect and knowledge this would be the place to come. I was interested to see if what I thought (yes you can circumvent purchasing directly from Disney and yes it should be relatively painless) was correct. Some of the other places I looked for information focused entirely on the potential for scams, and the Rofr.

So sorry that as someone who has not yet purchased in the neighborhood I felt I could ask questions.

Kindness should be extended to new and potential neighbors too, not just ones you've known for years.

MomofDisneyLoversx3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #24
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Well I thought that as neighbors with respect and knowledge this would be the place to come. I was interested to see if what I thought (yes you can circumvent purchasing directly from Disney and yes it should be relatively painless) was correct. Some of the other places I looked for information focused entirely on the potential for scams, and the Rofr.

So sorry that as someone who has not yet purchased in the neighborhood I felt I could ask questions.

Kindness should be extended to new and potential neighbors too, not just ones you've known for years.
Well stated MomofDisneyLoversx3. Welcome. Sorry you weren't made to feel more at home.

I hope you did get some good information to help with your decision and I hope that you will come back and let us know what that decision is.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #25
lodge
DIS Veteran

Quote:

so true, and personally I don't mind questions... I need to hear this stuff too or I wouldn't be looking at what you posted.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: