Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

How about bark collars?

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
I got something from the Doctors Foster and Smith catalog that was about $30 and when it recognizes the sound of a bark it emits a slightly uncomfortable sound that only dogs can hear. It also has a button that you can use as well. When my dog was a puppy she would start barking as soon as I woke up (around 4am) and I had upstairs neighbors. All it took was a few uses and she stopped.
this would be bad, one dogs barking would set off the others collar
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

We did group dog training. The trainer kept a squirt bottle full of water with her at all times. If a dog barked, she squirted it. Each class had less barking.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #19
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for everybody's help. It is so frustrating. We do have a shock collar for her (and she is stubborn enough to ignore it at times) but I am not comfortable with the ones that you leave on and they shock automatically when they bark. I am scared it could malfunction, etc. I am starting the spray bottle and I might try the citronella collar too. I was hoping some had had luck with the expensive anti bark machines that always get bad reviews but I see not one poster did.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
Thanks for everybody's help. It is so frustrating. We do have a shock collar for her (and she is stubborn enough to ignore it at times) but I am not comfortable with the ones that you leave on and they shock automatically when they bark. I am scared it could malfunction, etc. I am starting the spray bottle and I might try the citronella collar too. I was hoping some had had luck with the expensive anti bark machines that always get bad reviews but I see not one poster did.
Does there seem to be something she is trying to tell you by barking? Maybe if you can figure out why she's barking you can find a way to stop it. My basset usually barks when he feels he is being ignored and he wants attention. He won't stop until he gets attention.

I don't know if traditional methods to stop barking would work for you. Bassets just seem to have a mind of their own and don't respond like other dogs. They are really wonderful dogs, even with their quirks. I hope you did a solution.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

I have a Corgi who barks at everything. We have a soup can of pennies that we shake when he starts barking and won't listen to us command "NO BARK". Shaking the pennies works probably 80% of the time. He will stop barking. Once I have his attention, I command him to sit, stay and shut up.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
Does there seem to be something she is trying to tell you by barking? Maybe if you can figure out why she's barking you can find a way to stop it. My basset usually barks when he feels he is being ignored and he wants attention. He won't stop until he gets attention.

I don't know if traditional methods to stop barking would work for you. Bassets just seem to have a mind of their own and don't respond like other dogs. They are really wonderful dogs, even with their quirks. I hope you did a solution.
I wish I could say that was what her issue is. We have had 3 bassets and she will be the last. I know this is a stubborn breed but she is unbelievable. As the vet said, she's just not a very good dog. I think she's missing a few screws in her cute little head personally. She has some other issues and truthfully, I would love to rehome her but I don't think anyone else would tolerate her.

She barks because the neighbors are outside (the same exact people since she came to us), because the kids are playing across the street, because the trash pick up comes by, because the dog down the street is barking, you name it. And it takes a while for her to quit. I am really hoping we find a solution.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #23
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
I wish I could say that was what her issue is. We have had 3 bassets and she will be the last. I know this is a stubborn breed but she is unbelievable. As the vet said, she's just not a very good dog. I think she's missing a few screws in her cute little head personally. She has some other issues and truthfully, I would love to rehome her but I don't think anyone else would tolerate her.

She barks because the neighbors are outside (the same exact people since she came to us), because the kids are playing across the street, because the trash pick up comes by, because the dog down the street is barking, you name it. And it takes a while for her to quit. I am really hoping we find a solution.
Aww. That's a tough situation. I know your husband doesn't want to rehome her, but you guys may not have a choice if you get complaints at the new apartment. Maybe you can explain to him that it is better to look for a new home for her now while you have time and can search for a good home, versus when you are facing eviction at the new apartment and have to give her to the first person who will take her, or worse, a shelter.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #24
JessB320
DIS Veteran

I want to be positive and say good job for working on this problem now before you move. I would keep looking for a good qualified trainer. Shock collars when used properly can do wonders. The only issues I ever saw from them where from people who put them on and never checked them again,( mainly outdoor only dogs) after tightening over months they would embed in the skin. I can bet you would not be the type to put it on and ever check it again it sounds like you have some tough choices. Whatever you decide good luck!!
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #25
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320
I want to be positive and say good job for working on this problem now before you move. I would keep looking for a good qualified trainer. Shock collars when used properly can do wonders. The only issues I ever saw from them where from people who put them on and never checked them again,( mainly outdoor only dogs) after tightening over months they would embed in the skin. I can bet you would not be the type to put it on and ever check it again it sounds like you have some tough choices. Whatever you decide good luck!!
That happens with kind of kind of collar if they are not loosened or given new collars as the dog grows.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
bearloch
DIS Veteran

a couple of things I had beagles! they were loud! 1 thing that worked great to use when I was home was to shake a can with marbles, coins etc in it they were destracted by the noise and stopped! we also had to move to a apartment and was worried! I had the dogs stay in the room farest away from " triggers' and got them thunder shirts to wear when I was gone for more that a quick trip to store! worked I also left a tv or radio on at all times!!

WDW1986
Disneyland 1998
Disneyland 1999
WDW 2003
BAck First time @ Fort 12 /2007

Moved closer to Mickey June 2011:dance
CSR June 2012
bearloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #27
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties

That happens with kind of kind of collar if they are not loosened or given new collars as the dog grows.
Yes that was my point that used properly they can be a useful tool. The OP seems nervous to try one
Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #28
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320

Yes that was my point that used properly they can be a useful tool. The OP seems nervous to try one
I thought you were saying an issue with shock collars is embedding. My mistake lol
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #29
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties

I thought you were saying an issue with shock collars is embedding. My mistake lol
Yes but only with dumb owners lol was trying use better wording but as we both know that's what it comes down too!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #30
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearloch View Post
a couple of things I had beagles! they were loud! 1 thing that worked great to use when I was home was to shake a can with marbles, coins etc in it they were destracted by the noise and stopped! we also had to move to a apartment and was worried! I had the dogs stay in the room farest away from " triggers' and got them thunder shirts to wear when I was gone for more that a quick trip to store! worked I also left a tv or radio on at all times!!
I am ordering thunder shirts tonight. Thanks for that idea, it is worth a try.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: