Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Again, really good info...thanks pigletto.

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #17
formill
DIS Veteran

Absolutely right .........there is no short form for the kids for passport renewal........but you do not need the long form birth certificate if your child already has a passport....it is like filling it out just as you did other times for a child.......big nuisance- I have no idea why a child would not also be able to have a short form like adults do for renewal........but I was relieved to not have to pay for the long form birth certificate ($35??) on top of the passport price -we have 4 kids- 2 of them now considered adults so renewing the passports was pretty expensive as they all expired at the same time! At the time we got all of our kid's first passports the long form birth certificate was not a requirement at all like it is now for the first passport.
formill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by formill View Post
Absolutely right .........there is no short form for the kids for passport renewal........but you do not need the long form birth certificate if your child already has a passport....it is like filling it out just as you did other times for a child.......big nuisance- I have no idea why a child would not also be able to have a short form like adults do for renewal........but I was relieved to not have to pay for the long form birth certificate ($35??) on top of the passport price -we have 4 kids- 2 of them now considered adults so renewing the passports was pretty expensive as they all expired at the same time! At the time we got all of our kid's first passports the long form birth certificate was not a requirement at all like it is now for the first passport.
But they made me get the long form for the renewal. My daughter has had a passport since she was a baby and every 5 years the short form was enough to renew and this past time (summer of 2012) they sent me home and made me order the long form. It wasn't her first.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
KNovacovschi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto

But they made me get the long form for the renewal. My daughter has had a passport since she was a baby and every 5 years the short form was enough to renew and this past time (summer of 2012) they sent me home and made me order the long form. It wasn't her first.
When I renewed my daughters in 2012, she was 14 at the time, I had to give the long form as well. I renewed in April or May. This wasn't her first either.

DD-17 DH-34 ME-37

Sept 17-23, 2006 - POP; Aug 12-18, 2007 - POP; Oct 14-20, 2012 - POP; Nov 17-23, 2013 - POP; Sept 27-Oct 4, 2014 - POP (adult only); Jan 26-30, 2015 - POP (Solo); Sept 20-26, 2015 - POP (DM/DD trip)

I've been sprung....YEAH
KNovacovschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #20
AngelDisney
Dream a Disney Dream 0[;)

I just renewed DD15's passport on January 29, 2013. The long form is needed to verify that the applicant is in fact one of the child's parent. I showed the officer both forms and was told that the long form was the one to use. DD has had her passport since she was 6 months old, and every 5 years I renew her passport with the long form. She will have her adult passport next time and it will be much easier to renew her passport after that.

Have fun planning!

AngelDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #21
formill
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure but I think 2 things are being confused here. Originally a poster complained they had to purchase a long form birth certificate which is a piece of paper not a card and it shows both parents on it and you have to pay for it and order it separately most people do not have this and have to order and pay for it. This has nothing to do with the "long form passport application". The government decided this was new that children must have this long form birth certificate (as of Oct 12, 2012 website says) when they apply for a passport that the regular card type birth certificate was no longer enough. When I first did my children's passports the regular card type birth certificate was all we needed. Then our 5 years was up passports were going to expire and this new rule was in effect about these long form birth certificates- I read on this board if your child already had a passport you would not need to purchase this and I was very relieved as we have 4 kids so this would be pricey and another step to have to do. We only needed their current passport and current regular card birth certificate to get the newest passport and they even gave them back the old passports (with holes punched in the side). Adults can use the short form renewal one that does not ask as many details there is no such thing for children. Children can not use this form even if they have a passport it is just like filling one out for the first time.......... the only little perk to a child already having a passport is they do not have to buy and show the long form birth certificate that all first time child's passport applications now have to.

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/info/16-.aspx?lang=eng#parent Proof of parentage info see exceptions

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc155.pdf There is only one child's passport application and it remains the same whether or not they have had a passport previously there is no simplified "short" version for child
formill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by formill View Post
I'm not sure but I think 2 things are being confused here. Originally a poster complained they had to purchase a long form birth certificate which is a piece of paper not a card and it shows both parents on it and you have to pay for it and order it separately most people do not have this and have to order and pay for it. This has nothing to do with the "long form passport application". The government decided this was new that children must have this long form birth certificate (as of Oct 12, 2012 website says) when they apply for a passport that the regular card type birth certificate was no longer enough. When I first did my children's passports the regular card type birth certificate was all we needed. Then our 5 years was up passports were going to expire and this new rule was in effect about these long form birth certificates- I read on this board if your child already had a passport you would not need to purchase this and I was very relieved as we have 4 kids so this would be pricey and another step to have to do. We only needed their current passport and current regular card birth certificate to get the newest passport and they even gave them back the old passports (with holes punched in the side). Adults can use the short form renewal one that does not ask as many details there is no such thing for children. Children can not use this form even if they have a passport it is just like filling one out for the first time.......... the only little perk to a child already having a passport is they do not have to buy and show the long form birth certificate that all first time child's passport applications now have to.

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/info/16-.aspx?lang=eng#parent Proof of parentage info see exceptions

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc155.pdf There is only one child's passport application and it remains the same whether or not they have had a passport previously there is no simplified "short" version for child
No confusion, what I, and others ( I think) are saying is that we had to get the Long Form Birth Certificate to do a passport renewal for our children.
I am not sure why you didn't have to but I too read back then that I wouldn't need it, and it was wrong. I went to do her renewal (she had a passport already) and I had to have the Long Form Birth Certificate. I was sent home to order it and had to come back with it when it came in. The regular birth certificate was not sufficient.

Last edited by pigletto; 02-10-2013 at 08:13 AM.
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
KNovacovschi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto
No confusion, what I, and others ( I think) are saying is that we had to get the Long Form Birth Certificate to do a passport renewal for our children.
I am not sure why you didn't have to but I too read back then that I wouldn't need it, and it was wrong. I went to do her renewal (she had a passport already) and I had to have the Long Form Birth Certificate. I was sent home to order it and had to come back with it when it came in. The regular birth certificate was not sufficient.
Yes I was referring to the long form birth certificate as well.

DD-17 DH-34 ME-37

Sept 17-23, 2006 - POP; Aug 12-18, 2007 - POP; Oct 14-20, 2012 - POP; Nov 17-23, 2013 - POP; Sept 27-Oct 4, 2014 - POP (adult only); Jan 26-30, 2015 - POP (Solo); Sept 20-26, 2015 - POP (DM/DD trip)

I've been sprung....YEAH
KNovacovschi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: