Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Death of a spouse and dating? How soon is too soon?

Okay, first, IMHO there is no concrete time period since it is such a personal decision.
But face it, it IS something almost every married person or their surviving spouse is going to face.

I post this because I have had two friends....both men....lose a spouse, one was actively dating 3 months later, and one 6 weeks later. Both seemed a little soon to me. Now, both had wives who had life threatening illness for 10-15 years prior to their deaths, however both has been considered in "remission" for many years and both had very sudden declines, literally days after a potential delapse was discovered.
It is something my wife and I have discussed, and we both are of the "one and done" mind set when it comes to spouses.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Such a personal situation. Some people aren't ready in a couple years; other people in just a couple months. I wouldn't judge another person because I don't walk in their shoes.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Six weeks? That's crazy soon.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Hillbeans
If you're bored, please read a book or watch TV...TFs are scared of eyebrowless people
Pulled an "Agony of Defeat" at the mall
"I told them that I liked Michael Bolton!"

Have you beat...my dad started dating 3 weeks after...he had a slew of offers for coffee dates from women that came to the wake...it was surreal.
1977 - 1st Trip, 1982, 2nd Trip & EPCOT, 2003 - AKL, 2004 2 trips - Marriott World and POFQ, July 2005 - Grand Gathering - Emerald Isle - Coronado, Beach Club Villas, Dolphin - Mar/Apr 2007 - Mom's meet June '08, Grand Gathering # 2 - July '08 - Bought DVC July '08- First DVC trip to BWV June '09 - AKV Jambo Poly 2010, BCV June 2011, Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise 11/2012, Disney Magic 11/2/14
Hillbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Art 1
DIS Veteran

I've been told that it's normal after a long illness for the survivor to remarry soon. My buddy did very soon. His wife (my friend) was very sick for years. He was left with 4 small children.He told me he grieved while she was still alive and declining. He asked the Priest about it and was told it's normal. He married a mutual friend of ours not long after and they have been married many years now.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Acklander
DIS Veteran

From what I've observed, men tend to remarry very quickly. Usually it's men who were very happily married. I think they miss the companionship. Off the top of my head I can think of about half a dozen guys who were in a new relationship within 90 days, and married again within the year.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
shortbun
Peacenik

I think some men NEED to be married or they are lost. This usually describes men who have been married for a long time. When the spouse dies, the single women come out of the woodwork-almost literally. For some, the initial approach is made at the funeral. I don't know how a man who is lonely combats this enslaught. My sister and I always said that instead of going to our mother's funeral, we would clean out the house of family heirlooms because our dad would be bringing home a woman from the funeral. He never cheated but he needed a wife, care giver, companion. He died first; she never even entertained the idea of dating and she was beautiful, intelligent...that's probably why. (sorry, just had to get that joke in there!)

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbeans View Post
Have you beat...my dad started dating 3 weeks after...he had a slew of offers for coffee dates from women that came to the wake...it was surreal.
I have seen that too. A wealthy buddy of mine's wife died after a long bout of severe diabetes. He is a good looking guy as well. The single ladies were lined up at the funeral. True story.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
brookmey
I may live in the south, but I bleed maize and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
From what I've observed, men tend to remarry very quickly. Usually it's men who were very happily married. I think they miss the companionship. Off the top of my head I can think of about half a dozen guys who were in a new relationship within 90 days, and married again within the year.
I agree with this. About 15 years ago the 33 year old wife of a coworker died very suddenly of a brain aneurysm. They had 2 young boys and a 2 week old newborn girl. The husband was a mess after her death, just devastated. 9 months after his wife died, he was married to her best friend and a year later they had a baby. Raised a lot of eyebrows at work (a high school where the gossip amongst the students was crazy), but they're still married today, so something was right.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Same thing for my dad when my mom died. It made us uncomfortable.

I was talking to a counselor about it then (dealing with the death of my mother) and he said that in general the happier someone has been in their marriage, the sooner they will start dating. It makes them bullish on relationships. People who have been unhappy will tend to want to be alone for a while.

But I agree OP, you can't know til you've walked in their shoes. Handling grief is so different for everyone and there is no right way.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

My dad started dating not long after my mom passed. She was only 36 at the time so he was still young (and had 4 kids at home). My mom passed in June and I think around September is when he met my step-mom, although he had dated a few women before her. They married that March. So that was what, about 6 months after they met and 9 after my mom died. She was 23 at the time. They've been married for almost 38 years now. I love her to death and never consider her my step-mom, only when people get confused should I mention her age.

Now some people will say that was way too soon for him to marry, and also to marry someone so young (my oldest sister was 19 at the time. ) But like others have mentioned, my mom had been sick a very very long time. Before she came home to die she had been in the hospital for over 250 days. So I think that plays a huge part in things. All I know is he was happy and to me that was all that mattered.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I think men are more apt to date and marry sooner than women.

In my FIL's case, he was dating within 60 days and married within 6 months. He said he wanted someone to take care of him. He never did any housework, laundry or anything cooking wise except for grilling so he didn't have a clue after my MIL passed.

I know my husband would be the same way - he'd be looking for a woman who would take care of him and the house. I do everything around here because he could care less about a clean house or clean clothes and saving money cooking at home and he'd be lost trying to figure it out for himself - he didn't even call a repairman when our fridge quit working while I was out of town for a week. That was fun to come home to.

Me - I'd be fine alone. I'd get a dog if I felt the need for companionship. I really want to get one now but my husband says No dogs again.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
My granddaddy did just about the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post

Yep. I agree with this to a point. My granddaddy met and married a money hungry woman right after my grandmother passed away. This was her fourth marriage. All of her husbands had died before her and they were all wealthy. She took every penny from their families and ours. My granddaddy got married because he needed someone to take care of him. Unfortunately, she was only after his money.

My Papaw, who had a wonderful marriage to my other grandmother, never remarried. He dated a woman for years, but they never married and never lived together. I think he was much happier.

My mother waited 10 years before she dated anyone after my daddy passed away. She only dated a few, and later married my step dad. This marriage is nothing like the marriage she had with my dad. It's more of an arrangement. She said if she had to do it over again she would stay single.

I'm not sure what I would do if it ever happened to me. I hope I never have to make that choice.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

Before the funeral is too soon.

I know people who have remarried within a year when the deceased spouse had a long term illness. The surviving spouses began mourning before the spouses passed away, which is understandable. I think it's a different situation if the spouse has died suddenly.
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

I lost my husband to cancer almost five years ago. I have not yet dated. My husband and I had been together since we were 15 years old and I buried him on our 34th wedding anniversary. I just can't picture myself with anyone else.

I agree with the others who say men seem to really need to be married and that when they are widowed they "bounce back" sooner. Not always, of course. My father was the exception to that rule. My mother died suddenly at age 66. They had been married 47 years. He was widowed eight years before he got involved with another woman. They were together (did not marry) until he died at age 89.
antmaril is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: