Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
RalphMouth
Obviously freaky things always can happen beyond anyones control
It's a blast.......you'll love it !!

Park Hopper VS Single Park Ticket

I know that DL to DCA only takes 3 min but is it really worth the extra cost to be able to HOP ? How many of you buy Hoppers and then end up wondering why you spent the extra money ?
RalphMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
cari12
DIS Veteran

I would say it is totally worth it especially for multi-day trips. If you have MM or EMH, you will likely start in the park the early entry is offered but then may want to see a parade or fireworks or a show in the other park. We have been twice to DLR, once for 3 days and the other for 5 days and we park hopped every single day .
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth
I know that DL to DCA only takes 3 min but is it really worth the extra cost to be able to HOP ? How many of you buy Hoppers and then end up wondering why you spent the extra money ?
It depends on how many days total you have to see the Resort and how busy it is. If you only have 2 days, I would get a parkhopper to maximize my time. If I am there for 5 days, parkhoppers aren't as necessary.

I also like to have a parkhopper on very busy days, since aside from Carsland, DCA just doesn't feel as crowded. Also, it gives me more choices for entertainment at night.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
CaptainEIEIO
Even if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice!

Personally I have never been without a park hopper ticket. I guess if you had enough days it would be okay, but it just never crossed my mind to go without one no matter how many days I went for. It opens up a lot of options when you have park hopper, rides, restaurants, parades, shows, the list goes on and on of things to do in both parks that being stuck in one park for the day would not be advantageous for my quality time at the parks. To me if I'm in Disneyland and decide I want to go over and ride Soarin in California Adventure then I can do it, without park hopper I would be out of luck.
I cant even begin to count the times I was constantly at Disneyland since my first visit in 1962, then I moved to Alaska in 1969 and lost contact until....DL 1982, DL 1985, DL 1988, DL 1990, DL 1994, DL 1997, DL 1999 , DL 2004, DL 2005, DL 2007, WDW 2009 (Pop), DL 2012, WDW 2013 (Pop).
Me DW
CaptainEIEIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Swtonscrappn
Mouseketeer

Ive also never gone without a park hopper. I like to either go over to DCA if DL is too full, or sometimes DCA closes a few hours (or even an hour) before DL does...so I can spend my full day at DCA and then spend a few more at DL.
Swtonscrappn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Add me to the list of folks that has never NOT hopped! Hoppers all the way.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
profa
Mouseketeer

We went last summer for the first time w/ 3 kids. I bought our tickets from the entertainment book. 3 day passes for 180 for adult NO hopping. We planned to do 2 days DL and one day CA. It worked out perfectly. If I had PH, the only thing I would have done differently was try to do RSR again in the AM. But CA was crazy busy . We were there the end of june. worked for us and I didn't regret it. W/ 5 of us it was a good savings.
profa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
A lot of WDW vets, especially those with young kids with early bedtimes, have slowly come to the realization that they can go without park hoppers. However, at the DLR, you need parkhoppers. It's really one big park. You hardly realize you are hopping.

However, we found that park hopping more than 3 or 4 times in a day can result in not enjoying either park.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
Dot2Vegas
DIS Veteran

We always enjoy the Park Hoppers. If it feels crowded in one park, it's nice to be able to walk to the other for a little break. The few times that we have done a trip with a One Park ticket we said that we wished we had a hopper.
Dot2Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

Another never-not-hopped. It's so, so nice to be able to do that.

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip)) Quick one-day DL only trip with my 9 month-old and friends - 9/11/14!!
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
tiffntwins
Mouseketeer

We have always had hoppers or APs. However,there have been days when we did not hop. If there were short hours like 10-8, we might spend the whole day in DL. Now that there is Carsland,TSMM,WOC,and my kids are older I imagine that we will hop everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 02-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Aundreya
Earning My Ears

When we went in 2008 we had parkhoppers. I don't remember exactly, but I know we went to Disneyland on day 1, CA on day 2, and split the 2 on day 3....but for some reason I remember going to Disneyland when CA closed on day 2. I could be wrong on that.

This time around we plan on going 4 days. I seriously considered doing 2 days at DL and 2 days at CA and not getting parkhoppers, but when we were at CA before I remember being able to finish it pretty quickly. Granted, it's bigger now, but I'd hate to finish in 1.5 days and be stuck going back to our hotel when we could go to DL for the rest of the day.
Aundreya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
bcla
DIS Veteran

Forget about parkhoppers. I remember going to Disneyland when you still needed ride coupons. You guys all talk about buying tickets like this has always been around.

That being said, I do remember back a few years ago I went to DL at the last minute. I went with people who had Southern California resident annual passes, although they were blocked out for that day (they bought blockout day tickets). We asked if there was any kind of special, and what they had was a special ticket, which I could get as a guest of a Southern California resident. I could buy a regular priced single park ticket, and had the option to use it either like a 1-day parkhopper or once day at DL and another day at DCA. I opted to used it for two separate days and it worked out pretty well. My hosts also were able to use their annual passes that day because they weren't blocked out.
bcla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:59 AM   #14
sophies*mom
Mouseketeer

I don't plan on buying hoppers for our next trip. We have two small kids (3 and 8mo at the time of our trip) and don't expect to even want to hop from park to park.

Now, in years past (aka before Cars Land) we got hoppers because we would use them on our DCA day. We easily finished all we wanted to do by 5 or 6pm, then would head back over to Disneyland.

I have no issues about not hopping this time.

(DH) Eli -- (me) Elena
(DD) Sophie -- (DS) Parker

sophies*mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #15
CaptainEIEIO
Even if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
Forget about parkhoppers. I remember going to Disneyland when you still needed ride coupons. You guys all talk about buying tickets like this has always been around.
Ahhhh the good ole days of the A-B-C-D-E tickets. I have been going to Disneyland since 1962, so ya I remember those days too. That was before there was even a second park their and you could park or use the bike stand right out in front of the gates. But now we have to buy tickets, and park hopping is all a part of the experience. Do you have to get them...no, do I recommend them...yes because it gives me the full experience on my visits since I no longer live in Southern California and just getting their and back home is more than half the expense.
I cant even begin to count the times I was constantly at Disneyland since my first visit in 1962, then I moved to Alaska in 1969 and lost contact until....DL 1982, DL 1985, DL 1988, DL 1990, DL 1994, DL 1997, DL 1999 , DL 2004, DL 2005, DL 2007, WDW 2009 (Pop), DL 2012, WDW 2013 (Pop).
Me DW

Last edited by CaptainEIEIO; 02-10-2013 at 07:51 AM.
CaptainEIEIO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: