Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Happy Hannah
Earning My Ears

All Star Resorts or Art of Animation???

Just wondering what people would choose?? Be interesting to see the outcome, we are really torn.........
Thanks!
Happy Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
lstylr
Mouseketeer

Art of Animation.. a bit more expensive but the "new-ness" of it and the Nemo pool make it worth it imo
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hannah View Post
Just wondering what people would choose?? Be interesting to see the outcome, we are really torn.........
Thanks!
I would not be torn at all! AOA is quite the awesome looking resort! All Stars look, bleh now compared to AOA!
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
cfw213
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedby3

I would not be torn at all! AOA is quite the awesome looking resort! All Stars look, bleh now compared to AOA!
Ditto! I love Pop, so for me it was whether or not I wanted to spend the extra few bucks for AoA. But compared the the All Stars, no question I would go with AOA. We stayed there in September and it was awesome. The pool was fantastic!

September 2012 TR - COMPLETE- Are you Push?? Our sister trip around the World - A September 2012 TR
October 2013 TR - IN PROGRESS- Where are we going? What are we doing? An engagement/anniversary extravaganza! - An Oct 2013 TR

cfw213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

If you haven't been to AOA, I wouldn't hesitate. It's new and the pools are lovely. Now that we have tried it though, we will go back to all stars and pop.

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(11) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ Dd(1)

MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

AoA by a mile compared to the All Stars. It will cost more especially for the suites but we thought it was worth it.

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
lucas
°o°

AOA. Newer, better location, food court, and bus set-up.

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Mousemom
DIS Veteran

When we were at WDW last September we walked over to AofA and took the tour of the rooms and resort. It was awesome! We loved the look and really want to stay here. We booked a room but switched to Pop because if they offer a discount we will be able to add it. AofA is so new that they are not offering any kind of discounts right now. If free dining opens and we do that then we will switch to AofA since we have to pay rack rate to get free dining anyway. Keep in mind that this resort is mostly family suites and that the standard rooms are farthest from the main pool, food court, and front desk. It is still only a few minute walk and I know that we would not mind this short walk but some may think it is too far from everthing. We ate dinner and breakfast at AofA while visiting Pop last September. Food was unique and good. They don't use paper or plastic. Greener than all other resorts. Pool areas are so colorful and when at the main pool they play music under the water so you can hear it. Every area has such wonderful icons and theming. You can walk over to Pop to eat, or take a lazy walk along the lake. Staying here just to experience a new resort might be fun.
Mousemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Opposite opinion here. AoA is beautiful and has INCREDIBLE theming. With that said, I won't be back anytime soon.

We were in LM rooms and while I am a runner and don't mind walking, it was a HIKE to the main building. A senior with us (mobility impaired) using an ECV and we found it faster to load her up and drive a car.

The food court is BEDLAM, loud, not very clean at peak times and it took a long time to get food. I also bristled at having to bus my own table, sort of the silverware from plates and try to scrap trash into WAY too small openings.

Room noise was a factor--could have just been where/when we stayed--I am a sound sleeper, yet most nights I was aware of babies crying, children talking, etc.

I was at AoA late September and booked back for Dec. but I changed Dec. to Pop and in May I will again be at Movies.....
Old 02-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Mousemom
DIS Veteran

It is good to hear this form someone who actually stayed at AofA. Makes me want to re-think staying here. Will have to visit again next month when we are at Pop. Thanks JennDrake for your sharing your experience.
Mousemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Tialeigh
Earning My Ears

AoA

I stayed at the Art of Animation last August and I never had a problem with any noise. The food court was busy at times, but that's just when you plan to eat at less busy times. The Lion King and Finding Nemo suites aren't too far from the main building so if you mind walking, those would be the best ones to stay at.
Tialeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Finding Nemo Suite (we were a party of 5) and loved the resort. We didn't have any problems with the food court. Pretty comparable in terms of crowds to the other All Stars we have stayed at in the past. Yes, you do have to clear your table a la Panera style since they serve food on real plates and silverware.

Little Mermaid is definitely a hike and so are a couple of buildings for the Lion King and Cars Section. Which is one of the reasons we went with the Finding Nemo Suite - the two buildings are located right next to Animation Hall and the main pool. Didn't seem to notice any noise problems for our suite.

I think when you're making comparisons it makes a difference as to whether you're a family of 4 or less, or a family of 5-6. For families of 5 to 6 people, I think it's a great option for the price. The suites have two full bathrooms. Plenty of space in the living room and bedroom. And you won't be assigned to LM which is way out there.

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
Happy Hannah
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch
We stayed at the Finding Nemo Suite (we were a party of 5) and loved the resort. We didn't have any problems with the food court. Pretty comparable in terms of crowds to the other All Stars we have stayed at in the past. Yes, you do have to clear your table a la Panera style since they serve food on real plates and silverware.

Little Mermaid is definitely a hike and so are a couple of buildings for the Lion King and Cars Section. Which is one of the reasons we went with the Finding Nemo Suite - the two buildings are located right next to Animation Hall and the main pool. Didn't seem to notice any noise problems for our suite.

I think when you're making comparisons it makes a difference as to whether you're a family of 4 or less, or a family of 5-6. For families of 5 to 6 people, I think it's a great option for the price. The suites have two full bathrooms. Plenty of space in the living room and bedroom. And you won't be assigned to LM which is way out there.
We will be a party of 3 so a suite will be a little out of our price range DD is 12 who really wants to stay at AoA but is sensible enough to understand if its going to be a problem........
Happy Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: